Total Posts:34|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

has anyone ever changed opinions as result of

Tim_Spin
Posts: 446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 10:40:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 10:27:09 AM, cork wrote:
a debate, on fundamental issues?

It wasn't an official debate but debate in a series of PM's that converted me to anarcho-capitalism.
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 10:59:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 10:27:09 AM, cork wrote:
a debate, on fundamental issues?:

Changes don't occur overnight. I don't know anyone that radically changes their opinion from one moment to the next. What I have noticed is that people's beliefs evolve over time.

When you debate with clear, concise, and reasoned argumentation, you're planting a seed to germinate. You don't plant the tree immediately, you plant the seed in their mind and it grows over time.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 11:16:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 10:45:21 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I don't think so. I just debate for fun, tbh. Debates are usually a fairly bad way of working out what's true or not.

if a debate of all things is a bad way to work out what is true and what isn't, then what is a good way?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 11:25:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 11:16:00 AM, 000ike wrote:
if a debate of all things is a bad way to work out what is true and what isn't, then what is a good way?

That isn't an easy question. I'm fairly sure most people are wrong about almost everything. I guess the best way is to read good quality textbooks on any given subject you want to learn about, or simply defer to the relevant experts. But that won't work with some subjects (economics, philosophy, quantum physics, politics) because there is no consensus among experts. I'm not convinced there is a reliable way to discern truth from falsehood in many areas of knowledge.
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 1:11:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 10:27:09 AM, cork wrote:
a debate, on fundamental issues?

Not a single debate, but challenges to my belief in god over years turned me from a hardcore religious jew to atheist.

Farely wide swing.
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 2:25:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 10:59:48 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/28/2011 10:27:09 AM, cork wrote:
a debate, on fundamental issues?:

Changes don't occur overnight. I don't know anyone that radically changes their opinion from one moment to the next. What I have noticed is that people's beliefs evolve over time.

When you debate with clear, concise, and reasoned argumentation, you're planting a seed to germinate. You don't plant the tree immediately, you plant the seed in their mind and it grows over time.

Exactly, this is what happens to me. Sometimes a debate can get me to think but I won't outright change my opinion until after I have thought about it and looked at both sides. My view usually evolves over time.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 2:28:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
While Paradigm is correct in stating that changes are gradual, some can occur rather instantly, often due to the fact that new members instigate debates on topics with which they have uncertain views of.

Often times, the presentation of evidence--sources--arguments can also change one's views as well, and convince them to pursue a different avenue of belief. But that itself is pretty rare, since beliefs are usually by nature admantine and, as the old saying goes, on feet of iron, not clay.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
BennyW
Posts: 698
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 2:36:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 2:28:34 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
While Paradigm is correct in stating that changes are gradual, some can occur rather instantly, often due to the fact that new members instigate debates on topics with which they have uncertain views of.

Often times, the presentation of evidence--sources--arguments can also change one's views as well, and convince them to pursue a different avenue of belief. But that itself is pretty rare, since beliefs are usually by nature admantine and, as the old saying goes, on feet of iron, not clay.
If someone doesn't have a strong opinion it is easier to change than if you already have a strong view.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 3:36:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 10:59:48 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 8/28/2011 10:27:09 AM, cork wrote:
a debate, on fundamental issues?:

Changes don't occur overnight. I don't know anyone that radically changes their opinion from one moment to the next. What I have noticed is that people's beliefs evolve over time.

When you debate with clear, concise, and reasoned argumentation, you're planting a seed to germinate. You don't plant the tree immediately, you plant the seed in their mind and it grows over time.

Exactly. Here is an example of a very recent debate that did this for me:
http://www.debate.org...
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 6:16:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 10:27:09 AM, cork wrote:
a debate, on fundamental issues?

I don't think debates change our mind on deeper issues, but there are arguments that can be presented that change whether we agree or disagree with certain things. I did a debate a while back on selling violent video games to minors, where my opponent changed his mind and forfeited, and a couple voters reported a change as well.
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:14:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Although I have never immediately changed my viewpoint due to a debate, certain debates have planted the seeds of doubt in my mind. Those seeds grew and I eventually changed my view on the majority of social issues and some fiscal issues. (I went from ultra-right wing to a libertarian).
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:26:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I used to be a moral relativist (around 17 - 18ish) but due to a debate on facebook I changed my mind.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Tim_Spin
Posts: 446
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:27:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 7:26:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I used to be a moral relativist (around 17 - 18ish) but due to a debate on facebook I changed my mind.

What are you now?
Astonished, the talent agent asks the man what him and his family call their act.The man responds, "The Aristocrats!"
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 7:32:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 7:27:41 PM, Tim_Spin wrote:
At 8/28/2011 7:26:42 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I used to be a moral relativist (around 17 - 18ish) but due to a debate on facebook I changed my mind.

What are you now?

Moral realist.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 9:07:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 7:14:36 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
Although I have never immediately changed my viewpoint due to a debate, certain debates have planted the seeds of doubt in my mind. Those seeds grew and I eventually changed my view on the majority of social issues and some fiscal issues. (I went from ultra-right wing to a libertarian).

This.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 9:10:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 9:07:27 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 8/28/2011 7:14:36 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
Although I have never immediately changed my viewpoint due to a debate, certain debates have planted the seeds of doubt in my mind. Those seeds grew and I eventually changed my view on the majority of social issues and some fiscal issues. (I went from ultra-right wing to a libertarian).

This.

As in the same for you...?
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2011 9:11:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/28/2011 9:10:22 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
At 8/28/2011 9:07:27 PM, mongoose wrote:
At 8/28/2011 7:14:36 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
Although I have never immediately changed my viewpoint due to a debate, certain debates have planted the seeds of doubt in my mind. Those seeds grew and I eventually changed my view on the majority of social issues and some fiscal issues. (I went from ultra-right wing to a libertarian).

This.

As in the same for you...?

Yes.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 7:37:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It has happened a lot of times on things I wasn't sure about (minimum wage, affirmative action, etc). Usually it was gradual, in cases such as left leaning independent to libertarian, very pro-nature to don't really care, creationist to evolutionist (don't laugh, I was born into a Christian home), huge changes in my beliefs in Christianity, etc. But most of these have happened in ages 12-13. Most of these were due to DDO, though many times the seed had already been planted and DDO caused the rest of the change.
Joseph_Mengele
Posts: 388
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 7:53:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I didn't change my views because of any debate, but the first time that I met David Duke...well lets just say that he really opened my mind.
thett3
Posts: 14,356
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 7:57:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/31/2011 7:53:11 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
I didn't change my views because of any debate, but the first time that I met David Duke...well lets just say that he really opened my mind.

what were your views on race before?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Joseph_Mengele
Posts: 388
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 8:04:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/31/2011 7:57:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/31/2011 7:53:11 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
I didn't change my views because of any debate, but the first time that I met David Duke...well lets just say that he really opened my mind.

what were your views on race before?

I don't want to talk about that point in my life. Every person has flaws, lets just say that.
thett3
Posts: 14,356
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 8:14:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/31/2011 8:04:14 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
At 8/31/2011 7:57:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/31/2011 7:53:11 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
I didn't change my views because of any debate, but the first time that I met David Duke...well lets just say that he really opened my mind.

what were your views on race before?

I don't want to talk about that point in my life. Every person has flaws, lets just say that.

I wonder if you'll ever not want to talk about your racist point in life during the future.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Joseph_Mengele
Posts: 388
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 8:18:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 8/31/2011 8:14:17 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/31/2011 8:04:14 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
At 8/31/2011 7:57:56 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 8/31/2011 7:53:11 PM, Joseph_Mengele wrote:
I didn't change my views because of any debate, but the first time that I met David Duke...well lets just say that he really opened my mind.

what were your views on race before?

I don't want to talk about that point in my life. Every person has flaws, lets just say that.

I wonder if you'll ever not want to talk about your racist point in life during the future.

I have been racist for 15 years now, and probably won't change unless if there are some preety good hard concrete facts to convince me.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 8:30:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Through a single debate? No. I have flip-flopped quite a few times on the Arab-Israeli conflict though due to debates with people though. I was initially Pro-Palestinian before switching to Pro-Israeli after months of debate with the same person. Finally a while later I switched back to Pro-Palestinian before being convinced to be Pro-Israeli again. There was a period after where, up until very recently, I just stop caring and didn't take a side. I can now say I'm Pro-Palestinian again(although Anti-Hamas and other groups) and probably will remain so.