Jump to topic:

Casual Tourney

BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2011 11:58:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well less of a tourney, and more of a listing.
I know I personally don't have time to have any kind of overly in-depth round, but I still want to debate.
If you're in the same boat as me, comment here and we can all keep in touch. I'm open to debate any number of overly debated topics; and I'm even willing to play devils' advocate on a good number of them.

What I mean by simple debates, is I just want to have a good debate without getting into philosophy to deeply, or having evidence wars, or ridiculous semantics.

Just simple, sturdy arguments.

Let's say a rule of thumb only three arguments (contentions) per round, and a maximum of four sources. Also Opening, closing, and observational statements would be allowed.

Also, message me if you're interested in debating me personally.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 12:10:41 AM
I'm a Christian and Highly conservative in many of my views. I prefer not to debate about Political, Economical, or scientific topics;

but instead I love debating Ideological, moral, and philosophical topics.
Good to hear 8)

Morality and logic are things I love.
8)

I hate having definition debates and evidence debates.
Me too :)

I'd love to debate the existence of Objective morality, the existence of God, or libertarian Free Will

That said, If it comes down to it I will have definitions/evidence debates. What I mean by this is that I hate having debates where as opposed to logic and thought the clash is on a term, or a sources legitimacy.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 12:19:57 AM
At 9/8/2011 12:10:41 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:

I'd love to debate the existence of Objective morality, the existence of God, or libertarian Free Will

I'd love to debate Objective morality!

I don't like to debate God's existence at all, as it's not something I feel can be proved either way.

I don't know enough about Libertarian Free Will to give you a good debate. I understand the basic concept, and I even consider myself to be a libertarian; but only at the basic level that individuals have the right to choose for themselves.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 12:23:21 AM
At 9/7/2011 11:58:18 PM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:
I know I personally don't have time to have any kind of overly in-depth round, but I still want to debate.
If you're in the same boat as me, comment here and we can all keep in touch. I'm open to debate any number of overly debated topics; and I'm even willing to play devils' advocate on a good number of them.

What I mean by simple debates, is I just want to have a good debate without getting into philosophy to deeply, or having evidence wars, or ridiculous semantics.

Let's say a rule of thumb only three arguments (contentions) per round, and a maximum of four sources. Also Opening, closing, and observational statements would be allowed.

How about something unique like confidence assessment being used as opposed to the current test marking system? That's unlikely to involve much philosophy and is more about arguments than evidence.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 12:24:00 AM
At 9/8/2011 12:19:57 AM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:

Cool :)

I don't like to debate God's existence at all, as it's not something I feel can be proved either way.

I don't know enough about Libertarian Free Will to give you a good debate. I understand the basic concept, and I even consider myself to be a libertarian; but only at the basic level that individuals have the right to choose for themselves.

Political libertarianism and libertarian free will are two separate things.

supporters of Libertarian free will say you're Completely free to choose Any possible option in a given scenario.. as opposed to Determinists who say though you might "choose" that choice has causes (like your nature) and you could Not have chosen otherwise.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 12:33:48 AM
At 9/8/2011 12:23:21 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
At 9/7/2011 11:58:18 PM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:

How about something unique like confidence assessment being used as opposed to the current test marking system? That's unlikely to involve much philosophy and is more about arguments than evidence.

PM me, I'll consider it :). But if it seems to complicated, I'll refuse.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 12:35:43 AM
At 9/8/2011 12:24:00 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 9/8/2011 12:19:57 AM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:

Cool :)
Frame the round, and send me the challenge :-D

Political libertarianism and libertarian free will are two separate things.

supporters of Libertarian free will say you're Completely free to choose Any possible option in a given scenario.. as opposed to Determinists who say though you might "choose" that choice has causes (like your nature) and you could Not have chosen otherwise.

Hmm, very interesting. I think I'll look into some further reading on the subject. Although it's certainly not something I'd like to debate as I understand it right now.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 12:56:32 AM
BangBang, you've taken on a greater task than you can imagine in an objective morality debate against this opponent.

If you finish it with your sanity intact, that's a victory (just personal experience.)
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 9:20:57 PM
At 9/8/2011 12:56:32 AM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
BangBang, you've taken on a greater task than you can imagine in an objective morality debate against this opponent.

If you finish it with your sanity intact, that's a victory (just personal experience.)

Now that's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?