Jump to topic:

Troll Debates

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 9:55:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
For those interested. We are seeing an increase in troll debates. Unfortunately, the mod is not able to be on at all times, and so there are holes in coverage.

Everyone knows that the best way to deal with trolls is to not feed them, but that can be challenging, because it only takes 1 person to feed them, and when you have hundreds of members log on every day, the odds that at least 1 person will feed that troll is pretty darn high.

So what can you do? DDO has a built in troll-fighting loophole to the debate side of things. If you see a troll debate, you can accept it and sit on it for R1 (meaning let the timer expire and forfeit R1). After the timer runs out, rather than posting the red "forfeit" message and moving to R2 (like it does in all the other rounds) the debate is flat out canceled. Please note that this only works for R1.

This allows you to not feed the troll and actually prevent anyone else from feeding the troll on that debate.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 10:15:16 AM
You've been successfully trolled.

You do not speak of the trolls.

The troll is an illusion, dawg.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 10:16:53 AM
At 9/8/2011 10:15:16 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Congress has the same view of the national debt, and ignoring it doesn't seem to be helping (boom, I've derailed my own thread).
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 10:45:54 AM
Trolls don't go away, silly.

Just get used to them.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 10:48:57 AM
At 9/8/2011 10:45:54 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Just get used to them.

Actually, many times they do. Do you really think that nono, izbo, and interogator are the first and only trolls to ever visit DDO? We've had a number of trolls that have come by for a spell and promptly left.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:08:01 AM
Yeah, a troll leaves, but trolls never leave.

And I hate using that word. Nothing is more annoying than bunch of people calling each other trolls on a forum.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:12:38 AM
At 9/8/2011 11:08:01 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Yeah, a troll leaves, but trolls never leave.

And I hate using that word. Nothing is more annoying than bunch of people calling each other trolls on a forum.

True. Individual ones will leave, but the problem will never leave. The object is to minimize the negative effects of it (even if you can't stamp it out all together), part of that is to minimize the number of trolls that contribute to the troll problem (I understand if you don't like that word, would a different word be better? "pointless spamers" maybe?).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:13:12 AM
At 9/8/2011 11:12:12 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 9/8/2011 10:52:35 AM, Jon1 wrote:
Why care? I don't mind troll debates.

This

This coming form people that don't debate.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:43:44 AM
At 9/8/2011 10:48:57 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Just get used to them.

Actually, many times they do. Do you really think that nono, izbo, and interogator are the first and only trolls to ever visit DDO? We've had a number of trolls that have come by for a spell and promptly left.

I am not entirely sure Izbo is in the same category as Nono. Nono posts rubbish and spams the website. Izbo debates for what he believes in but disrespects his opponents while doing do.
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 11:55:01 AM
At 9/8/2011 10:16:53 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/8/2011 10:15:16 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Congress has the same view of the national debt, and ignoring it doesn't seem to be helping (boom, I've derailed my own thread).

Successful dreailer is successful.
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 12:02:00 PM
At 9/8/2011 11:43:44 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/8/2011 10:48:57 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Just get used to them.

I am not entirely sure Izbo is in the same category as Nono. Nono posts rubbish and spams the website. Izbo debates for what he believes in but disrespects his opponents while doing do.

True, they are in different sub-categories. Like Emus and Hummingbirds are both birds, but still very different.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 1:35:40 PM
At 9/8/2011 9:55:58 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
For those interested. We are seeing an increase in troll debates. Unfortunately, the mod is not able to be on at all times, and so there are holes in coverage.

Everyone knows that the best way to deal with trolls is to not feed them, but that can be challenging, because it only takes 1 person to feed them, and when you have hundreds of members log on every day, the odds that at least 1 person will feed that troll is pretty darn high.

So what can you do? DDO has a built in troll-fighting loophole to the debate side of things. If you see a troll debate, you can accept it and sit on it for R1 (meaning let the timer expire and forfeit R1). After the timer runs out, rather than posting the red "forfeit" message and moving to R2 (like it does in all the other rounds) the debate is flat out canceled. Please note that this only works for R1.

This allows you to not feed the troll and actually prevent anyone else from feeding the troll on that debate.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep this in mind.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:47:58 PM
The one who fighth the troll shalt be bitten and made into a troll himself

Trolls are infective leave them be and stay safe
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:49:34 PM
At 9/8/2011 4:47:58 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
The one who fighth the troll shalt be bitten and made into a troll himself

Trolls are infective leave them be and stay safe

I'm pretty sure ignoring a zombie apacolypse and doing nothing is not going to be the safe option.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:53:52 PM
Yup if they come for you though shoot only attack if attacked
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2011 4:56:11 PM
At 9/8/2011 4:53:52 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
Yup if they come for you though shoot only attack if attacked

I shoot if I even see them looking at me, I'm not waiting for them to get close enough to actually attack.