Jump to topic:

How many debates have you actually won?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 11:24:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Most wins for a lot of members aren't really hard fought wins. So I thought people could list out how many wins and losses they actually have, we would have a better understanding of what win ratios at DDO are like.

To count as a win/loss, the debate:

1) Must not be a joke debate
2) Must not be a rap/song choice/funnier video than my opponent debate
3) Your opponent must not be trolling/posting crap
4) It must not say "(Insert DDO member here) is an idiot/troll"
5) Your opponent must not have forfeited

I won 4 debates and lost 6.
jm_notguilty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 11:49:32 AM
Out of my 14 debates, I've won 4 serious debates and lost 0.

Although, there are 2-3 more that were quite serious but opponent forfeited at the last minute.

And the rest... well, it's all forfeits.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 11:58:13 AM
I didn't go through every single one of my debates. But of my 8 loses, only 5 were non-forfiet and only 4 of those were serious.

I went through my last 20 wins to find that 9 of them were serious non-forfeited debates, so assuming same ratio, that would put me at 40-4.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 1:12:46 PM
Started to look through but couldn't be bothered for long to work it out, I'd probably have a similar ratio I reckon. Not sure if you'd count things like, "I will not contradict myself" "hypothetical band of dead musicians" and "ultimate team war" type debates. They're not traditional debates but they're definitely a test of argumentation.

I'm sure we've all got debates where the result is a loss but we think we really should have won. In some debates the score can be decided by votes that are clearly unfair, for example if people admit in their RFD that they voted based on their own opinion, rather than the debate content, like here: http://www.debate.org...
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 1:27:22 PM
out of my 6 debates, i lost one, won one

2 i won through forfeit, but i would have won them regardless.

yes, that's a fact. ;)
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:51:52 PM
At 9/9/2011 11:24:57 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Most wins for a lot of members aren't really hard fought wins. So I thought people could list out how many wins and losses they actually have, we would have a better understanding of what win ratios at DDO are like.

To count as a win/loss, the debate:

1) Must not be a joke debate
2) Must not be a rap/song choice/funnier video than my opponent debate
3) Your opponent must not be trolling/posting crap
5) Your opponent must not have forfeited

I won 4 debates and lost 6.

I don't feel I've ever legitimately won or lost any debate on here or any other website. When I first joined my win/loss was really pertinent and important to me, but I just don't think win/loss records are important on here anymore.
Now in real life, I guess I've really won 2 or 3 debates. Most are just the judge's concession in or against my favor, but a few I think are legitimate victories.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 7:52:34 PM
I'm not going to look through it, but I think mine would be the same. I haven't done those joke debates, and I think only two of my wins have been through forfeit.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 10:00:41 PM
I've seriously won 3 debates, and seriously lost (without forfeiting) 0.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 10:38:56 PM
At 9/9/2011 7:44:34 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
17-5

I'd love to see the numbers for some of the top-tier members.

Not too bad. As for top tier members, you don't have to wait for them to post. You can go to their profile and sort through to see which are legitimate victories. I don't think anyone wants to sort through tens of pages of somebody else's debates. Though I did look through some of the best of the newer members and was surprised to see that most haven't won all that many debates in a hard-fought way.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 10:40:34 PM
At 9/9/2011 10:36:12 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/9/2011 9:57:44 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Not counting forfeits I only won 2 o.O.

Wow, that's a surprise! How many did you lose?

My bad, I actually won 5. I lost 9 debates officially. 10 of my wins are forfeits, 1 was a troll and 1 of them I currently forfeited.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 10:47:37 PM
At 9/9/2011 11:24:57 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Damn.

Anyway my overall record is 19-3, my serious debate record (excluding rule #4) is 10-3. I had 5 forfeits, 1 joke debate and 3 crap opponents.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 10:52:05 PM
I've had a TON of forfeits or bad opponents.

9 serious wins, 3 serious losses, one serious tie.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 11:02:43 PM
At 9/9/2011 10:47:37 PM, Double_R wrote:
Anyway my overall record is 19-3, my serious debate record (excluding rule #4) is 10-3. I had 5 forfeits, 1 joke debate and 3 crap opponents.

Correction, that's 2 crap opponents and 1 confirmed idiot.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 11:03:44 PM
At 9/9/2011 11:02:43 PM, Double_R wrote:

is izbo the confirmed idiot?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2011 11:18:49 PM
At 9/9/2011 11:03:44 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/9/2011 11:02:43 PM, Double_R wrote:

is izbo the confirmed idiot?

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 12:01:14 AM
I'm not going to go through 149 wins to get precise numbers. I sampled some and guess that about 25% involve an opponent forfeiting. In some of those, it seems the opponent just gave up after seeing my arguments. Other times the opponent just disappears forever. I don't see why an opponent giving up should not be a "real" win. I can recall a few where a troll just killed the challenge and forfeited.

I've never done a rap/song debate, knowingly engaged a troll, or done an "X is an idiot" debate. I've done maybe three or four debates with Brian that some might consider joke debates, but I think they were about serious subjects, e.g. property rights and banking, framed in a joking way.

Excluding forfeits, its about 112-9.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 10:25:54 AM
I have no idea, but for what it's worth I do not believe that I have legitimately lost a debate. The ones I did were either v-bombed or in my opinion heavily skewed by completely biased voters who did not read or comprehend thoroughly :P There may be 1 off the top of my head that I may have lost due to accidentally having to forfeit, but the OP says those don't count ;)
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 10:29:53 AM
At 9/10/2011 10:25:54 AM, Danielle wrote:
I have no idea, but for what it's worth I do not believe that I have legitimately lost a debate. The ones I did were either v-bombed or in my opinion heavily skewed by completely biased voters who did not read or comprehend thoroughly :P There may be 1 off the top of my head that I may have lost due to accidentally having to forfeit, but the OP says those don't count ;)

Wouldn't that then mean that you're always right politically, religiously, and all around correct on every view you currently have? I'm not sure such a human being exists.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 10:33:42 AM
At 9/10/2011 10:29:53 AM, 000ike wrote:

Wouldn't that then mean that you're always right politically, religiously, and all around correct on every view you currently have? I'm not sure such a human being exists.

No, it just makes her a good debater.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 10:34:10 AM
At 9/10/2011 10:29:53 AM, 000ike wrote:

Absolutely not. You can argue a completely wrong/inaccurate position and still win a debate. Winning a debate isn't about who's right: it's about who makes the better arguments and does a better job at dismantling the opposition's arguments.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 10:35:37 AM
I am completely for the legalization of marijuana, for example, but still believe I have won the debates where I argued against legalizing marijuana. I don't always debate the side that I agree with... in fact I don't agree with the side I am arguing for in the most recent debate I've accepted.
President of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 10:43:38 AM

But havn't a lot of debates you won been votebombed too? I understand the old debates never really required an RFD or even showed who voted for who, so there were tons and tons of votebombs. While your losses would decrease, wouldn't your wins decrease as well?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 10:45:57 AM
At 9/10/2011 10:43:38 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
But havn't a lot of debates you won been votebombed too? I understand the old debates never really required an RFD or even showed who voted for who, so there were tons and tons of votebombs. While your losses would decrease, wouldn't your wins decrease as well?

Yes, but I'm saying in my opinion I have won every single debate regardless of what the votes reflect, whether they're in my favor or not.
President of DDO
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 11:21:26 AM
Won 1, Lost 4. But as my opponent's have been Laissez Faire, Cliff.Stamp, Ore_Ele, thett3, and Shawn613 in serious debates and these have been my first 5 debates, it's not really saying much. In addition, I only really started doing things like thinking about 2 years ago when I was 11, and I have a lot of learning to do.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 12:55:46 PM

Resolved: Danielle has never legitimately lost a debate. (Given, of course, that since a lost debate can be argued not to have been legitimately lost, a won debate can be argued to have been a legitimate loss.)
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2011 12:57:52 PM
At 9/10/2011 12:55:46 PM, mongeese wrote:

Resolved: Danielle has never legitimately lost a debate. (Given, of course, that since a lost debate can be argued not to have been legitimately lost, a won debate can be argued to have been a legitimate loss.)

*popcorn*
Open borders debate: