Total Posts:59|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

New Member Tournament Update #3

BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2011 5:27:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
First thanks to everyone for completing their round 1's relatively on schedule. Hopefullu everyone realized that a tournament is not too time-consuming. Still, I'm hoping the next round can go faster now that we've adjusted to the new school schedule.

For reference, I'll post round 1 results.

1. Freedomsquared (1-0) def. F-16 (0-1)
2. jm_notguilty (1-0) def. Mestari (0-1)
3. lickdafoot (1-0) def. Phoenix_Reaper (0-1)
4. Thett (1-0) def. Seraine (0-1)


Since P_R was recently abducted by aliens and cannot be found (at least, thats what Geo told me), we've found a replacement. A big shout out to DetectableNinja for joining the tournament. He has agreed to start 0-1 for structural reasons.

There's been some confusion as to how a double-elim style will work, but I found that matching winners with losers will allow the possibility of avoiding a bye, so thats what we're going to do. Here are the round 2 matchups.

1. F-16_Fighting_Falcon vs jm_notguilty

2. Lickdafoot vs Seraine

3. Freedomsquared vs DetectableNinja

4. Thett vs Mestari


Since the matchups are already made, there's going to be a 4 day deadline to putting up the first post on round 1. Again, topics can be whatever you guys can agree to, but try to avoid topics that have already been done, just to keep things fresh.

Good luck to everybody.
jm_notguilty
Posts: 683
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 2:59:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sweet, now for F16, if you're interested, I'll debate any of the following topics.

Polygamy (CON)
The Philippines' claim on the Spratly Islands (PRO)
Juveniles Tried as an Adult (Depends)
Attorney-Client Privilege (PRO)
Vigilantism (Depends)
JLA versus Avengers (PRO for JLA)
Legalization of Divorce in the Philippines (PRO)
Gay Priests (CON)
Free Speech vs. Blasphemy (Depends)

If you're not interested in those, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 4:07:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 2:59:33 AM, jm_notguilty wrote:
Sweet, now for F16, if you're interested, I'll debate any of the following topics.

Polygamy (CON)
The Philippines' claim on the Spratly Islands (PRO)
Juveniles Tried as an Adult (Depends)
Attorney-Client Privilege (PRO)
Vigilantism (Depends)
JLA versus Avengers (PRO for JLA)
Legalization of Divorce in the Philippines (PRO)
Gay Priests (CON)
Free Speech vs. Blasphemy (Depends)

If you're not interested in those, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks.

I think Juvenile tried as an adult and vigilantism interest me the most. What are your views exactly on those two?
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 4:13:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ooh--two libertarians matching up! I like that. Anyhoozle: any ideas Freedom?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Mestari
Posts: 4,656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 5:00:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Thett, here are topics I would like to debate:

Anarchy is preferable to democracy. (Pro)
An objective reality exists. (Con)
Murder is never morally permissible. (Pro)
Police profiling ought to be used in preventing suspected criminal and terrorist activity. (Con)
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
thett3
Posts: 14,344
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 5:03:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 5:00:27 PM, Mestari wrote:
Thett, here are topics I would like to debate:

Anarchy is preferable to democracy. (Pro)
An objective reality exists. (Con)
Murder is never morally permissible. (Pro)
Police profiling ought to be used in preventing suspected criminal and terrorist activity. (Con)

I would love to debate the murder one, sounds interesting.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 5:25:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 5:00:27 PM, Mestari wrote:
Thett, here are topics I would like to debate:

Anarchy is preferable to democracy. (Pro)
An objective reality exists. (Con)
Murder is never morally permissible. (Pro)
Police profiling ought to be used in preventing suspected criminal and terrorist activity. (Con)

awww, i really want to do the top one!

to seraine, these are a couple of ideas i've been thinking about:

free market/ capitalism/ anarchy is a viable way to run society (i'd go con)
I'd go con on about anything having to do with the current education system. (tests, homework, their structure, etc)
Success in the music industry is not based on talent (pro)
Music artists promote temporary careers (pro)

let me know what you think. i'm open to more suggestions.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 5:46:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 5:25:25 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/12/2011 5:00:27 PM, Mestari wrote:
Thett, here are topics I would like to debate:

Anarchy is preferable to democracy. (Pro)
An objective reality exists. (Con)
Murder is never morally permissible. (Pro)
Police profiling ought to be used in preventing suspected criminal and terrorist activity. (Con)

awww, i really want to do the top one!

to seraine, these are a couple of ideas i've been thinking about:

free market/ capitalism/ anarchy is a viable way to run society (i'd go con)
I'd go con on about anything having to do with the current education system. (tests, homework, their structure, etc)
Success in the music industry is not based on talent (pro)
Music artists promote temporary careers (pro)

let me know what you think. i'm open to more suggestions.

@Lickdafoot, those are such interesting topics that I really want to do! Not to mention I disagree with you on 1, 2, and 3. I wouldn't debating you on any of those outside the tournament. (The ones that are left over after you and seraine chose your topic).
Mestari
Posts: 4,656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 5:56:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 5:03:44 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 9/12/2011 5:00:27 PM, Mestari wrote:
Thett, here are topics I would like to debate:

Anarchy is preferable to democracy. (Pro)
An objective reality exists. (Con)
Murder is never morally permissible. (Pro)
Police profiling ought to be used in preventing suspected criminal and terrorist activity. (Con)

I would love to debate the murder one, sounds interesting.

I'll set up the challenge.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
Mestari
Posts: 4,656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 5:57:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 5:25:25 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
At 9/12/2011 5:00:27 PM, Mestari wrote:
Thett, here are topics I would like to debate:

Anarchy is preferable to democracy. (Pro)
An objective reality exists. (Con)
Murder is never morally permissible. (Pro)
Police profiling ought to be used in preventing suspected criminal and terrorist activity. (Con)

awww, i really want to do the top one!

to seraine, these are a couple of ideas i've been thinking about:

free market/ capitalism/ anarchy is a viable way to run society (i'd go con)
I'd go con on about anything having to do with the current education system. (tests, homework, their structure, etc)
Success in the music industry is not based on talent (pro)
Music artists promote temporary careers (pro)

let me know what you think. i'm open to more suggestions.

If Anarchy isn't taken and we debate later in the tournament, we can run the topic.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 7:53:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I know. Where is the chap?

Anyway--I'd be willing to debate waterboarding, freedom. Or, have you any other ideas? Because I really don't have much.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 8:26:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 8:26:04 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Freedomsquared is not a new member.

In fact, he's been around longer than the OP.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 9:20:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 8:26:25 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 9/12/2011 8:26:04 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Freedomsquared is not a new member.

In fact, he's been around longer than the OP.

This has been addressed many times.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
freedomsquared
Posts: 450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 9:21:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 7:53:21 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I know. Where is the chap?

Anyway--I'd be willing to debate waterboarding, freedom. Or, have you any other ideas? Because I really don't have much.

I'm not too into the waterboarding thing to be honest, but I would debate environmental protection with you.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

http://www.debate.org...
-tournament debate, need votes
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 11:35:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 5:46:15 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
@Lickdafoot, those are such interesting topics that I really want to do! Not to mention I disagree with you on 1, 2, and 3. I wouldn't debating you on any of those outside the tournament. (The ones that are left over after you and seraine chose your topic).

sure we can definitely do these. maybe we can use one of these if we face each other later on in the tournament. (the third one is my fav and probably the hardest to find evidence for. might end up tweaking the resolution a bit for that one.)
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
jm_notguilty
Posts: 683
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 12:41:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 4:07:24 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/12/2011 2:59:33 AM, jm_notguilty wrote:
Sweet, now for F16, if you're interested, I'll debate any of the following topics.

Polygamy (CON)
The Philippines' claim on the Spratly Islands (PRO)
Juveniles Tried as an Adult (Depends)
Attorney-Client Privilege (PRO)
Vigilantism (Depends)
JLA versus Avengers (PRO for JLA)
Legalization of Divorce in the Philippines (PRO)
Gay Priests (CON)
Free Speech vs. Blasphemy (Depends)

If you're not interested in those, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks.

I think Juvenile tried as an adult and vigilantism interest me the most. What are your views exactly on those two?

Really depends on the resolution, I'm kinda neutral with those two issues.

But here are the resolutions in mind:

"Resolved: Juveniles should be tried as an adult only in some cases" (I'll take PRO)

"Resolved: Strict Adult-like Sentencing of Juveniles can be a problem to the Juvenile Justice System) (I'll take PRO)

And about Vigilantism, there are some old debates in DDO about these...

http://www.debate.org... (Same Resolution, I'll do CON if you wish.)

Agree? Reply back. :)

Also, when do we send the challenge? Is it ok if we start on Friday or something.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 1:02:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 12:41:15 PM, jm_notguilty wrote:
At 9/12/2011 4:07:24 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/12/2011 2:59:33 AM, jm_notguilty wrote:
Sweet, now for F16, if you're interested, I'll debate any of the following topics.

Polygamy (CON)
The Philippines' claim on the Spratly Islands (PRO)
Juveniles Tried as an Adult (Depends)
Attorney-Client Privilege (PRO)
Vigilantism (Depends)
JLA versus Avengers (PRO for JLA)
Legalization of Divorce in the Philippines (PRO)
Gay Priests (CON)
Free Speech vs. Blasphemy (Depends)

If you're not interested in those, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks.

I think Juvenile tried as an adult and vigilantism interest me the most. What are your views exactly on those two?

Really depends on the resolution, I'm kinda neutral with those two issues.

But here are the resolutions in mind:

"Resolved: Juveniles should be tried as an adult only in some cases" (I'll take PRO)

"Resolved: Strict Adult-like Sentencing of Juveniles can be a problem to the Juvenile Justice System) (I'll take PRO)

And about Vigilantism, there are some old debates in DDO about these...

http://www.debate.org... (Same Resolution, I'll do CON if you wish.)

Agree? Reply back. :)

Also, when do we send the challenge? Is it ok if we start on Friday or something.

I too am con on vigilantism. I also agree with your position on juveniles unfortunately.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 1:05:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 1:02:55 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/13/2011 12:41:15 PM, jm_notguilty wrote:
At 9/12/2011 4:07:24 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/12/2011 2:59:33 AM, jm_notguilty wrote:
Sweet, now for F16, if you're interested, I'll debate any of the following topics.

Polygamy (CON)
The Philippines' claim on the Spratly Islands (PRO)
Juveniles Tried as an Adult (Depends)
Attorney-Client Privilege (PRO)
Vigilantism (Depends)
JLA versus Avengers (PRO for JLA)
Legalization of Divorce in the Philippines (PRO)
Gay Priests (CON)
Free Speech vs. Blasphemy (Depends)

If you're not interested in those, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks.

I think Juvenile tried as an adult and vigilantism interest me the most. What are your views exactly on those two?

Really depends on the resolution, I'm kinda neutral with those two issues.

But here are the resolutions in mind:

"Resolved: Juveniles should be tried as an adult only in some cases" (I'll take PRO)

"Resolved: Strict Adult-like Sentencing of Juveniles can be a problem to the Juvenile Justice System) (I'll take PRO)

And about Vigilantism, there are some old debates in DDO about these...

http://www.debate.org... (Same Resolution, I'll do CON if you wish.)

Agree? Reply back. :)

Also, when do we send the challenge? Is it ok if we start on Friday or something.

I too am con on vigilantism. I also agree with your position on juveniles unfortunately.

What is your position on plea bargaining? (I am Pro)
Police interrogation techniques. (Pro)
jm_notguilty
Posts: 683
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 1:18:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm mostly PRO on plea bargaining, and the interrogation techniques? If you add Water Boarding, torture, etc. I'm CON.

If you want to debate it, I'm in, what's the resolution?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 1:28:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 1:18:11 PM, jm_notguilty wrote:
I'm mostly PRO on plea bargaining, and the interrogation techniques? If you add Water Boarding, torture, etc. I'm CON.

If you want to debate it, I'm in, what's the resolution?

Not waterboarding and torture. I am talking about the Reid Technique. The police basically tell lies to the suspect and say they know everything and that it is all over for him. Then they ask the suspect to give them some minor detail. Once the suspect gives it up, he confesses.
http://www.reid.com...
http://www.reid.com...
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 3:34:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 9:21:05 PM, freedomsquared wrote:
At 9/12/2011 7:53:21 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I know. Where is the chap?

Anyway--I'd be willing to debate waterboarding, freedom. Or, have you any other ideas? Because I really don't have much.

I'm not too into the waterboarding thing to be honest, but I would debate environmental protection with you.

Do you mean government enforced, or the idea that we should be protecting our environment in general?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Mestari
Posts: 4,656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 10:15:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Debate between Thett and myself:

http://www.debate.org...
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 10:52:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/12/2011 11:07:26 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Hey freedomsquared, what was your old username?

crackofdawn, crackofdawn_jr to name two.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 10:58:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/13/2011 10:52:13 PM, wjmelements wrote:
At 9/12/2011 11:07:26 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Hey freedomsquared, what was your old username?

crackofdawn, crackofdawn_jr to name two.

Looks like they have been disabled. I wonder how many wins he had as those two profiles and if he was on the leaderboard.
jm_notguilty
Posts: 683
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 10:04:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Sorry for lat reply, anyway, um, when I hear interrogation, torture comes to mind, but honestly, I'm PRO for those techniques. I can play devil's advocate, but it's a long shot.

I can debate as PRO on Internet as a Human Right, CON on Late Term Abortion or PRO on Gun rights, if you want it as a topic.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/14/2011 11:30:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/14/2011 10:04:25 AM, jm_notguilty wrote:
Sorry for lat reply, anyway, um, when I hear interrogation, torture comes to mind, but honestly, I'm PRO for those techniques. I can play devil's advocate, but it's a long shot.

I can debate as PRO on Internet as a Human Right, CON on Late Term Abortion or PRO on Gun rights, if you want it as a topic.

I don't want to push you into a corner playing devil's advocate while I debate the side I believe in.

Just to be clear, are you really Pro for torture? I am Con. So we can debate. But if you are not Pro for torture, then let's not do it.

We can go for gun rights since I am Con.