Jump to topic:

Grammar

sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 8:27:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If grammar is going to be counted as points in debates then all use of abbreviations and phone text style abbreviations should be banned from the site everywhere. It conveys Inconsistency on the part of DOD. Also points for conduct, not relevant to debates and deserve no points. Rather people should report insulter's and the insulter be given 1 warning and cancel account for six months after that, forever.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 8:47:37 AM
Abbreviations are not grammatically incorrect, also I am not even sure if text speak is. The funny thing about grammar nazis is that the English language itself disagrees with them.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 9:38:56 AM
At 9/12/2011 8:47:37 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Abbreviations are not grammatically incorrect, also I am not even sure if text speak is. The funny thing about grammar nazis is that the English language itself disagrees with them.

"Abbreviations are not grammatically incorrect"

They are for people to lazy to write the word correctly. Saving time is an excuse for the abbreviation. It in no way is grammatically correct, but rather socially acceptable for the sake of saving time and key strokes. An abbreviated word is not grammatically correct, a word spelled exactly the way it supposed to be is grammatically correct.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 11:18:09 AM
At 9/12/2011 9:38:56 AM, sadolite wrote:

They are for people to lazy to write the word correctly. Saving time is an excuse for the abbreviation. It in no way is grammatically correct, but rather socially acceptable for the sake of saving time and key strokes. An abbreviated word is not grammatically correct, a word spelled exactly the way it supposed to be is grammatically correct.

Socially acceptable is grammatically correct.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 11:18:36 AM

Then I guess I cannot use contractions etcetera.
Seriously though some people have such bad grammar I have a hard time figuring out what the are trying to say, even seemingly contradicting themselves.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 11:24:45 AM
The Department of Defense can do whatever they want. On DDO, however, S&G only applies in cases where there is a big difference. I don't think I've seen a case where someone says "you've missed a period in R3 paragraph 5, so I'm docking a point."
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 11:46:47 AM
At 9/12/2011 8:27:30 AM, sadolite wrote:
If grammar is going to be counted as points in debates then all use of abbreviations and phone text style abbreviations should be banned from the site everywhere. It conveys Inconsistency on the part of DOD. Also points for conduct, not relevant to debates and deserve no points. Rather people should report insulter's and the insulter be given 1 warning and cancel account for six months after that, forever.

but... you used an abbreviation in you post.... and abbreviated it wrong.... fail :(
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
devinni01841
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 11:59:56 AM
At 9/12/2011 11:46:47 AM, Lickdafoot wrote:

but... you used an abbreviation in you post.... and abbreviated it wrong.... fail :(

I was just going to say this...
There is nothing more bad-@ss than being yourself.

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

Member of the Texas Army National Guard since 20111212

An Armed society is a polite society.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 12:28:15 PM

They are for people to lazy to write the word correctly.

You mean "too lazy"...

Saving time is an excuse for the abbreviation. It in no way is grammatically correct, but rather socially acceptable for the sake of saving time and key strokes. An abbreviated word is not grammatically correct, a word spelled exactly the way it supposed to be is grammatically correct.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 2:22:07 PM

If you misspell too many words, I'm taking off S/G. If you say "u" instead of "you" consistently, I'm taking off S/G. If you say "4" instead of "for" consistently, I'm taking off grammar. If your punctuation makes your argument difficult to read, I'm taking off S/G.

The conduct sucks for many people on here. If DDO were a high traffic site, banning people for conduct would probably be capitalized and executed without hesitation. Unfortunately, it isn't, and banning that easily would lead to self-ruin, so the only real consequence we can give is a slap on the wrist with docking conduct.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 6:17:52 PM

http://www.debate.org...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 7:39:44 AM

Words in the middle of sentences that aren't a title should not be capitalised.
"points for conduct, not relevant" does not make grammatical sense.
Plurals do not require apostrophes.
"be given one warning and cancel account" does not make grammatical sense.
"fo six months after that, forever" is either contradictory or bad grammar.

Grammar nazis need to use proper grammar and different rules should apply to forums and debates.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 9:09:38 AM
The general rule in writing is to define the abbreviation the first time it is used by putting it parenthesis after spelling it out. Thus, "Membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) is costing ..." In long documents sometimes the abbreviations are redefined the first time they are used in each chapter.

I think it's a matter of judgment in debates. Many abbreviations, like "United States (US)," are so well known they don't need definitions. Still, consider that readers may not be familiar with the subject as debaters, so heavy use of abbreviations can make the debate unreadable. Using text messaging abbreviations --"k" for "agreed"-- is unacceptable. Also, debate jargon like "card" for "reference" is obnoxious.

The standards for a debate ought to be higher than for comments or forum posts. That's because debates should be readable by any member.

I agree with the comments that the S&G points are for cases where the errors are so serious as to be a distraction.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 9:48:07 AM
Like Conduct, the S&G points seem mostly to exist as a penalty. If the S&G of one side actually detracts from the quality of the debate, you give the point to the other side. When you look at how rounds are judged, very rarely are votes cast in all categories. Usually only the argument quality is voted upon.

The exception to this is when the non-argument categories are used to create split decisions or to offset other votes. This actually seems to be more prevalent than actually voting on the non-argument categories, and honestly seems more problematic.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 10:04:53 AM
If grammar is going to be counted as points in debates, then all use of abbreviations and phone text style abbreviations should be banned from the site everywhere. It conveys inconsistency on the part of DOD. Also points for conduct: these are not relevant to debates and deserve no points. Rather, people should report insulters and the insulter should be given 1 warning and their account should be cancelled for six months after that: forever.

Fixed for grammar.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 5:36:13 PM
At 9/15/2011 10:04:53 AM, Kinesis wrote:
If grammar is going to be counted as points in debates, then all use of abbreviations and phone text style abbreviations should be banned from the site everywhere. It conveys inconsistency on the part of DOD. Also points for conduct: these are not relevant to debates and deserve no points. Rather, people should report insulters and the insulter should be given 1 warning and their account should be cancelled for six months after that: forever.

Fixed for grammar.

Win
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:09:58 PM
Dat fu btir knot b kumn er hir 2shw oph dat noo sht!

Whoever translates this text speak first wins.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:13:46 PM

They are for people to lazy 1. to write the word correctly. Saving time is an excuse for 2. the abbreviation. 3. It in no way is it grammatically correct, but rather socially acceptable for the sake of saving time and key strokes. An abbreviated word is not grammatically correct4. , a word spelled exactly the way it supposed to be is grammatically correct.

1. too
2. using
3. It is in no way grammatically correct, or socially acceptable
Option 3: It is in no way grammatically correct, but rather is considered to be
4. . A
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:22:29 PM
At 9/16/2011 6:09:58 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Doing anything tonight? Fvck you, because then I realized not become an extended release here to show off a Digital Audio Tape, no sh!t!
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:24:25 PM
At 9/16/2011 6:22:29 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Doing anything tonight? Fvck you, because then I realized not become an extended release here to show off a Digital Audio Tape, no sh!t!

Wrong but hilarious!
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:26:26 PM

That fu**er better not be coming in here to show off that new sh!t ???
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:33:28 PM
At 9/16/2011 6:26:26 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

So close I'll give it to you.

The correct translation is:
"That fool better not be coming over here to show off that new sh1t!"
:
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:37:15 PM
At 9/16/2011 6:33:28 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 9/16/2011 6:26:26 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

So close I'll give it to you.

The correct translation is:
"That fool better not be coming over here to show off that new sh1t!"

This is fun. Let me try again, I'll try and get it right this time.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:46:11 PM
'bama thanc he all up on some dark carnival sh1t but he betr step da fvck off befo he get stomped in his nuggs.

This is a higher level problem. It is a mixture of text speak and juggalo lingo. Good luck.
:
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:51:45 PM
At 9/16/2011 6:46:11 PM, socialpinko wrote:
'bama thanc he all up on some dark carnival sh1t but he betr step da fvck off befo he get stomped in his nuggs.

This is a higher level problem. It is a mixture of text speak and juggalo lingo. Good luck.

Obama thinks he is all up on some dark carnival sh1t but he better step the fvck off before he gets stomped in his nuggets.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 6:52:59 PM
At 9/16/2011 6:51:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Obama thinks he is all up on some dark carnival sh1t but he better step the fvck off before he gets stomped in his nuggets.

You also have to translate the juggalo lingo.
:
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 7:00:45 PM
At 9/16/2011 6:52:59 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Obama thinks he is some sort of "Black Jesus" but he better stop it before he gets kicked in the balls.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 12:03:04 AM
At 9/16/2011 7:00:45 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 6:52:59 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Obama thinks he is some sort of "Black Jesus" but he better stop it before he gets kicked in the balls.

To PC language: Obama possibly believes that he is a modern savior of humanity, but he should stop himself before he is criticized by the Republican Party.