Jump to topic:

DDO Freezes my computer

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 1:07:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Does anyone else experience freezing when a DDO window is open? I would say about once an hour on average, my explorer window will freeze while I'm typing. Usually, after anywhere from 10-60 seconds, it will resume and often input all the keystrokes I hit while it was frozen. It only happens when I'm on DDO and it's happened on all three of the laptops I've had since joining, as well as my smartphone. I think I made a thread about this a year or two ago...
Rob
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 1:21:47 PM
yes! it freezes so that it won't scroll, and also the typing box always lags and freezes. i'm thinking it might have to do with the browser (i use mozilla) what broswer do you use?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 1:56:16 PM
It only happens for me when my internet is slow. For some reason the code seems to tie your local speed to your network speed.

Even then it only really freezes a tab or a browser, not the whole computer. (Also, are you on Chrome? That's where I get the worst of it).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 3:00:14 PM
I only use explorer. It only affects the tab I'm using, but that can be a pretty big deal if I have a multi-thousand character post working. I suppose it's downright irresponsible to keep any work in progress in a DDO window with this problem as well as the nagging, unbelievably infuriating re-logon screen that will completely destroy whatever you're doing if your account times out while you're working.
Rob
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 3:24:34 PM
At 9/12/2011 3:00:14 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I only use explorer.
I haven't had any problem like that with Firefox. I would try a different browser. Firefox, Chrome/Chromium and Opera are all free and very good.

It only affects the tab I'm using, but that can be a pretty big deal if I have a multi-thousand character post working. I suppose it's downright irresponsible to keep any work in progress in a DDO window with this problem as well as the nagging, unbelievably infuriating re-logon screen that will completely destroy whatever you're doing if your account times out while you're working.

LOL, I would be a nervious wreck typing a debate into a browser window. I just type my debates into a text editor then copy-and-paste. That way I can keep my work saved to the harddrive.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2011 4:55:42 PM
I have the same problem in Firefox. It's been ongoing, so I don't think it's related to the browser version (at least of FF).

I'm also confident it's not related to network speed or computer specs. The hitch seems to last longer on slower machines, but I highly doubt poor specs are the CAUSE of the issue.

This also happens to me with Facebook, though FB seems to cause much worse spikes.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 12:36:41 AM
I think R_R said it happens to him on Chrome as well... I would imagine there is a JS bug somewhere... perhaps in the character counter?