Jump to topic:

Forfeits

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 10:58:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This may have been brought up before, but I figured it was worth asking about again. How does a forfeit affect the way you vote on a debate? It seems obvious to me that a forfeit warrants an automatic loss of conduct point. Not only does it imply a lack of consideration for the debate itself, but it impacts the way the other debater structures and responds to particular arguments.

However I don't think a forfeited round automatically makes the offender lose the points for arguments let alone the entire debate. I've seen people (even those considered fair voters) vote straight 7's against someone simply for forfeiting a round. While a forfeit exemplifies poor conduct, it doesn't necessarily mean that the other person had better sources or arguments. You can easily make a better case, provide better arguments and negate opposing arguments even if you forfeit a round. In fact that's even more impressive considering you would have done so with less character space. Thoughts?
President of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 11:05:28 AM
Let's take a standard 4 round debate with 3 rounds of actual debating.

My opinion:
1) If only one round was forfeited, NOT the last, but either the second or the third, and the forfeiter comes back, apologizes and continues the debate, he loses only conduct but nothing else.

2) If two rounds were forfeited, then conduct is lost, and if the other person clearly refuted all of the forfeiters points, then arguments are lost as well.

3) If all three rounds were forfeited, then conduct is lost. If the other person presented a good, well-structured argument, then they get arguments and SG as well. If they used decent sources, they get sources as well making it a straight 7.

If instead, the non-forfeiter presents no argument but just says "my opponent forfeited" or something of that sort, they only get the one point for conduct.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 5:23:59 PM
For me, it depends on the number of forfeits and whether or not if it enabled/inhibited the member who forfeited from actively participating in the debate:

1. Number: One forfeit only costs a point of conduct. However, with new members who forfeit most of the debate, I am obliged to give points of arguments (sources and spelling and grammar are optional though), since the instigator/contender did not post an argument at all, let alone participate.

2. WHO forfeited...This is important since I have seen debates where both the instigator and contender has forfeited. In that case, I am forced to look at other factors: such as who forfeited less, made better points (i.e. let's say the instigator defines the rules and definitions in the first round, and the contender presents arguments for his case, and both then forfeit the entire debate. Therefore, I have to give the contender a point in arguments)..., and who forfeited less (for the sake of only a point of conduct).

My voting criteria isn't perfect, so I am welcome for any suggestions or criticism.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2011 5:35:58 PM
Yea I go with the loss of conduct for one missed round. If there has only effectively been one round of debating, then I deduct arguments as well, unless that one round was an absolute killer.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.