http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 1:35:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I fuckin well agree!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 1:37:06 PM
At 9/15/2011 1:35:46 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I fuckin well agree!

Try saying that without using profanity. Let's see if you can produce the same effect.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 1:39:22 PM
At 9/15/2011 1:37:06 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 9/15/2011 1:35:46 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
I fuckin well agree!

Try saying that without using profanity. Let's see if you can produce the same effect.

"I totally agree"

"fuckin well" in this instance is used to show an extreme, in this case, an extreme level of agreement.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 1:49:04 PM
This was one of my core positions during the presidential election. The abolishing of the censor, and yet people elect the guy who asks.. "Why?"

Oh right, I wasn't even allowed into the presidential debate because the whole election, like in real government, is a SCAM.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 1:57:17 PM
At 9/15/2011 1:49:04 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
This was one of my core positions during the presidential election. The abolishing of the censor, and yet people elect the guy who asks.. "Why?"

Oh right, I wasn't even allowed into the presidential debate because the whole election, like in real government, is a SCAM.

You were allowed as a write in (technically everyone was a write in) and the only vote you got was yourself.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 1:59:09 PM

Do you suffer from hanging chads? I have a cream for that somewhere...
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:00:53 PM
I don't mind the censors. It's really a non-issue. It's not as if people don't find ways to go around the censors. Like, would it really make the site so much better if profanity was allowed?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:07:30 PM
Profanity is just a cluster of words used out of their proper definition to create an effect of exaggeration or punctuality.

I think professional environments should not allow profanity. If DDO is to be professional, then profanity must be banned.

Furthermore, I believe that people who go around cursing their mouths off all the time are pretty stupid, because it shows that they do not have the range of vocabulary to properly express their feelings in words that make sense. It also shows that they rely on these shortcut trigger-words to give their speech effect. If you curse, it really makes you looks stupid and uneducated, albeit you are probably very smart, it just doesn't reflect it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:18:12 PM

It's a debate site, he asserted something without any support.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:19:51 PM
At 9/15/2011 2:00:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
I don't mind the censors. It's really a non-issue. It's not as if people don't find ways to go around the censors. Like, would it really make the site so much better if profanity was allowed?

I agree with this. I don't see how it would improve the site, but can easily see how it would make the site more trashy.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:21:38 PM
What about an option to have a profanity filter. It replaces all profanity words with "****" rather than out right banning the words. Then you can go in and turn off your filter, or leave it on. For new members and guests (not signed in) it defaults to "on" and you manually have to turn it "off."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:25:43 PM
At 9/15/2011 2:21:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
What about an option to have a profanity filter. It replaces all profanity words with "****" rather than out right banning the words. Then you can go in and turn off your filter, or leave it on. For new members and guests (not signed in) it defaults to "on" and you manually have to turn it "off."

What does that accomplish? The profanity is neither banned nor necessarily accepted. It doesn't solve anything. I say at the very least, we ban profanity in the formal debate, or at least dock conduct for it, and then maybe allow it in the forums. Compromise.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:28:54 PM
At 9/15/2011 2:25:43 PM, 000ike wrote:

What does that accomplish? The profanity is neither banned nor necessarily accepted. It doesn't solve anything. I say at the very least, we ban profanity in the formal debate, or at least dock conduct for it, and then maybe allow it in the forums. Compromise.

It accomplishes allowing those that want to use it to use it, and those that don't want to see it don't have to see it.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:29:53 PM
At 9/15/2011 2:28:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/15/2011 2:25:43 PM, 000ike wrote:

It accomplishes allowing those that want to use it to use it, and those that don't want to see it don't have to see it.

Personally, I'd rather see "****" than "fvck" and "****" than "b!tch" (or any of the other methods used to get around it).
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:30:37 PM
It's really immaterial, Juggle would never budge on this, and they would be wise not to. Their vision for this site is for it to be a premier debate site with the potential application toward academics.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:53:54 PM
Sticks and stones......why do we give words so much power? What makes "sh1t" more offensive than "poo". I just feel like the more you make these words taboo, the more people are going use them.
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 2:56:13 PM
At 9/15/2011 2:53:54 PM, MarquisX wrote:
Sticks and stones......why do we give words so much power?

It's not a conscious choice, it is subconscious.

What makes "sh1t" more offensive than "poo". I just feel like the more you make these words taboo, the more people are going use them.

Because of how it is used. It is used as an insult, and it is used in agressive manners, so the word naturally becomes tied to aggressiveness, which people tend to not like.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:13:51 PM
Why should anyone be restricted to say exactly what they want to say?

What is so professional about this site? Last I checked, none of the posters get paid. No one here is a professional.

In a debate, sure, take off points for profanity... If you are a dipsh!t who thinks that a word is more dangerous than its context.. But on the forums, everyone should be free.

The forums are an informal environment. The debate system is a formal environment. I feel that it is utterly barbaric to restrict and censor the free exercise of speech. I don't really care what you think "foul language is", it is barbaric to enforce such views. BARBARIC I say.

Fvck anyone who says otherwise. I seriously mean that. Even knowing that it hurts my case, because the people who are offened at language are complete and utter poosies who probably have very little interaction with the real world.

Seriously, in my profession, if I thought the way you dipsh!ts did, I'd get nowhere.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:22:02 PM
At 9/15/2011 6:13:51 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

What is so professional about this site? Last I checked, none of the posters get paid. No one here is a professional.

It is not about what the site is, it is about what the owners want it to be. Period.

In a debate, sure, take off points for profanity... If you are a dipsh!t who thinks that a word is more dangerous than its context.. But on the forums, everyone should be free.

Words are not dangerous, unless in some cases (crowded movie theater yelling "fire", airplane saying "hijack"). Words however, have meaning. If some words are meant to show disregard and informality, then they can be restricted in the formal environment.

The forums are an informal environment.

Who are you to make such assumptions. The forum is whatever the owners want to be. If they want it treated formally, then they have the right to do so. If you don't like it, then leave.

The debate system is a formal environment. I feel that it is utterly barbaric to restrict and censor the free exercise of speech. I don't really care what you think "foul language is", it is barbaric to enforce such views. BARBARIC I say.

Are you okay?

Fvck anyone who says otherwise. I seriously mean that. Even knowing that it hurts my case, because the people who are offened at language are complete and utter poosies who probably have very little interaction with the real world.

Seriously, in my profession, if I thought the way you dipsh!ts did, I'd get nowhere.

What profession is that? lol. Keep thinking that everyone who disagrees with you is stupid, we'll see just how far you get with such mentality.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:36:13 PM
At 9/15/2011 6:22:02 PM, 000ike wrote:

It is not about what the site is, it is about what the owners want it to be. Period.

NO ONE HERE IS PROFESSIONAL.

Words are not dangerous, unless in some cases (crowded movie theater yelling "fire", airplane saying "hijack"). Words however, have meaning. If some words are meant to show disregard and informality, then they can be restricted in the formal environment.

The forums are not a formal environment, and this is obvious to anyone who navigates them. The people who make up the forum have made this place informal, and there is nothing wrong with that. Let the debate system deal with formality.

Who are you to make such assumptions. The forum is whatever the owners want to be. If they want it treated formally, then they have the right to do so. If you don't like it, then leave.

The forums are an informal environment. This is self evident. If you say otherwise, you aren't paying attention.

The debate system is a formal environment. I feel that it is utterly barbaric to restrict and censor the free exercise of speech. I don't really care what you think "foul language is", it is barbaric to enforce such views. BARBARIC I say.

Are you okay?

No, I'm crazy. Fvck you.

What profession is that? lol. Keep thinking that everyone who disagrees with you is stupid, we'll see just how far you get with such mentality.

Disagreeing with what I'm saying doesn't make you stupid, but the fact that you interpreted what I say to mean that sort of thing is certainly a reflection of your current mind state.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:48:18 PM
At 9/15/2011 6:36:13 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 9/15/2011 6:22:02 PM, 000ike wrote:

NO ONE HERE IS PROFESSIONAL.

The forums are not a formal environment, and this is obvious to anyone who navigates them. The people who make up the forum have made this place informal, and there is nothing wrong with that. Let the debate system deal with formality.

The owners will decide whether the forums should be formal or not, not you.

The forums are an informal environment. This is self evident. If you say otherwise, you aren't paying attention.

Are you okay?

No, I'm crazy. Fvck you.

Disagreeing with what I'm saying doesn't make you stupid, but the fact that you interpreted what I say to mean that sort of thing is certainly a reflection of your current mind state.

Glad to know I was wrong on that premise, but I digress, my point is that the forums are technically someone else's property. You cannot come here and declare what the forums should and should not be. If the mods ban profanity, then they have not impeded on any of your rights. If you hate the formal environment, you have the freedom to take your business elsewhere. Its as simple as that.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:54:49 PM
Of course it is the owner's decision.

I'm not arguing against that.

I will however say that on a site like this, the preferable method would be NO MODERATION.

Complete freedom.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 6:57:24 PM
Actually, I'd say on any site, no moderation, but since we are dealing with a site specifically built to DEBATE THESE ISSUES, I would say that no moderation is preferable. Let the voices speak unchained, and fvck those who judge a man by the language he uses.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 7:06:14 PM
At 9/15/2011 6:54:49 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Of course it is the owner's decision.

I'm not arguing against that.

I will however say that on a site like this, the preferable method would be NO MODERATION.

Complete freedom.

Complete freedom will create an environment where people just shout at and insult eachother without getting a conversation in. The heavy restrictions in the formal debate are what keep insults out and only facts in. If the goal of this website is to produce intellectual and well mannered conversations that lead to coherent and productive discussions, then allowing complete freedom would not meet the wants and purpose of the site. That is why we should keep insults and profanity out.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 7:14:28 PM
Yeah, you are basically thinking the way that every other totalitarian @sshole has thought.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 7:17:04 PM
And for the record, facts don't really matter, if you think that is what convinces peoples, you are naive.

The forums are casual, where everyone can be themselves, and the debates are formal, where people actually give a sh!t about presenting a case.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/15/2011 7:17:49 PM
At 9/15/2011 7:14:28 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Yeah, you are basically thinking the way that every other totalitarian @sshole has thought.

So Debate.org provides you with free access to their forums, free debate features, and a free social networking site and they are somehow totalitarian because they won't let you say fvck the correct way? As far as I'm concerned, nobody is forcing you to go on DDO.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...