Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Good idea to deactivate account?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:42:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.

Is that something you want to have happen? Is that your intention?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:45:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 2:42:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.

Is that something you want to have happen? Is that your intention?

My intention is to get rid of my terrible win/loss record and start with a clean slate. I debated a lot of good debaters, lost many debates, and my record is not as good as most new members.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:46:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 2:45:46 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:42:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.

Is that something you want to have happen? Is that your intention?

My intention is to get rid of my terrible win/loss record and start with a clean slate. I debated a lot of good debaters, lost many debates, and my record is not as good as most new members.

Surely over time it will improve? To be honest I would not care, measure your debate skills internally.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:47:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 2:45:46 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:42:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.

Is that something you want to have happen? Is that your intention?

My intention is to get rid of my terrible win/loss record and start with a clean slate. I debated a lot of good debaters, lost many debates, and my record is not as good as most new members.

A lot of people do that. You don't forfeit your debates though with your old account, they just remain there.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:49:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 2:47:43 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:45:46 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:42:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.

Is that something you want to have happen? Is that your intention?

My intention is to get rid of my terrible win/loss record and start with a clean slate. I debated a lot of good debaters, lost many debates, and my record is not as good as most new members.

A lot of people do that. You don't forfeit your debates though with your old account, they just remain there.

Oh, okay. That's cool. I assumed it would forfeit because that is what it said under the "deactivate account" tab.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 2:52:25 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 2:46:50 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:45:46 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:42:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.

Is that something you want to have happen? Is that your intention?

My intention is to get rid of my terrible win/loss record and start with a clean slate. I debated a lot of good debaters, lost many debates, and my record is not as good as most new members.

Surely over time it will improve? To be honest I would not care, measure your debate skills internally.

Maybe, but I already have 9 losses. There are members who won 75 to 100 debates with as many losses as me. Thanks for the advice though.
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 8:15:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 2:52:25 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:46:50 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:45:46 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:42:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.

Is that something you want to have happen? Is that your intention?

My intention is to get rid of my terrible win/loss record and start with a clean slate. I debated a lot of good debaters, lost many debates, and my record is not as good as most new members.

Surely over time it will improve? To be honest I would not care, measure your debate skills internally.

Maybe, but I already have 9 losses. There are members who won 75 to 100 debates with as many losses as me. Thanks for the advice though.

I feel like you should just keep debating with this guy. I judge people on how well they debate, not how many times they win. You can have two great debaters go at it, but only one can win. Doesn't mean the other isn't good at debating.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 10:12:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 2:45:46 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:42:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.

Is that something you want to have happen? Is that your intention?

My intention is to get rid of my terrible win/loss record and start with a clean slate. I debated a lot of good debaters, lost many debates, and my record is not as good as most new members.

If you believe that the win/loss method is an accurate method, then I suppose this would be logical based on your assumptions. However, based on ELO, this would not be the case. So long as your ELO score is over 2000 (which it is), reseting would only harm your ranking.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 10:39:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The OP got me to go check my first twenty two debates that were voted on and I was 14-8, a 57% win ratio. My advice would be to just keep debating, getting better as you go. Who cares what your rank is? The second highest ranked debater on this site has a 57% win ratio and does mostly joke debates(non offense Brian). Focusing on your ELO is a much better thing to do.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 10:59:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 10:12:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:45:46 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:42:24 AM, innomen wrote:
At 9/16/2011 2:40:20 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Is it a good idea to deactivate your account and create a new one? Apparently you forfeit all your debates, lose all your friends and have all your profile info removed.

Is that something you want to have happen? Is that your intention?

My intention is to get rid of my terrible win/loss record and start with a clean slate. I debated a lot of good debaters, lost many debates, and my record is not as good as most new members.

If you believe that the win/loss method is an accurate method, then I suppose this would be logical based on your assumptions. However, based on ELO, this would not be the case. So long as your ELO score is over 2000 (which it is), reseting would only harm your ranking.

This. Freeman doesn't have a good debate record, but he rarely debates members who are inexperienced. He takes on manly debates and I think most members on DDO regard him as one of the best debaters on DDO. I would also consider mongoose and mongeese top notch debaters, despite their average debate records.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 11:47:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 10:59:35 AM, darkkermit wrote:

This. Freeman doesn't have a good debate record, but he rarely debates members who are inexperienced. He takes on manly debates and I think most members on DDO regard him as one of the best debaters on DDO. I would also consider mongoose and mongeese top notch debaters, despite their average debate records.

Thats an understatement. Almost all his debates are against top-tier debaters, not just experienced ones.

I agree, mongoose and mongeese are both really good too.
BangBang-Coconut
Posts: 265
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 8:06:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'll do it if you do it.
I'd really like a fresh start personally, having had forfeited a bunch of debates a while back really messed up my record; and despite the fact I don't really care about win/loss record, I would be lying if I said that the fact it's low doesn't bother me.

The only thing that irks me, is that it means I would have to delete this account; meaning I lose all of my debates >->...
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 8:08:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 10:39:38 AM, socialpinko wrote:
The OP got me to go check my first twenty two debates that were voted on and I was 14-8, a 57% win ratio. My advice would be to just keep debating, getting better as you go. Who cares what your rank is? The second highest ranked debater on this site has a 57% win ratio and does mostly joke debates(non offense Brian). Focusing on your ELO is a much better thing to do.

Which reminds me, please don't forfeit another round of our debate.....
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 8:15:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 8:06:46 PM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:
I'll do it if you do it.
I'd really like a fresh start personally, having had forfeited a bunch of debates a while back really messed up my record; and despite the fact I don't really care about win/loss record, I would be lying if I said that the fact it's low doesn't bother me.

The only thing that irks me, is that it means I would have to delete this account; meaning I lose all of my debates >->...

Hey, 76% isn't that bad. I know you were like 34-3 at one point, but losing all 73 of your debates is too big a loss. Plus, you have the coolest username on the site. No need to change that :)
DHDebate
Posts: 40
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 8:15:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 8:06:46 PM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:
I'll do it if you do it.
I'd really like a fresh start personally, having had forfeited a bunch of debates a while back really messed up my record; and despite the fact I don't really care about win/loss record, I would be lying if I said that the fact it's low doesn't bother me.

The only thing that irks me, is that it means I would have to delete this account; meaning I lose all of my debates >->...

You know what? I decided to go ahead and go for it!
I may go back to BangBang-Coconut eventually, but I think starting clean will be a nice change of pace for a while.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 8:25:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 8:08:28 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/16/2011 10:39:38 AM, socialpinko wrote:
The OP got me to go check my first twenty two debates that were voted on and I was 14-8, a 57% win ratio. My advice would be to just keep debating, getting better as you go. Who cares what your rank is? The second highest ranked debater on this site has a 57% win ratio and does mostly joke debates(non offense Brian). Focusing on your ELO is a much better thing to do.

Which reminds me, please don't forfeit another round of our debate.....

Ha ha. It looks like I'm going to. Ever since my computer broke, I've had to rely pretty much solely on my phone.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Myrant
Posts: 25
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2011 9:08:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Interesting thread. Isn't the point here to learn? Who cares if you win. I would rather hear a really good argument which gives me another point of view. It is all anonymous - right?

The meaning we attach to words are often vastly different according to your experiences. Drought - in the Southern MS it means your yard dies; in Tampa FL it means sinkholes that consume random houses and a real fear of water rationing in a major city; in the central valley in CA it means collapse of an economic system. Same word, three meanings - none of the definitions motivated by political bias or accepted definitions of prejudice.

F-16; keep up the good fight and press ahead.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/17/2011 2:45:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/16/2011 10:12:42 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
If you believe that the win/loss method is an accurate method, then I suppose this would be logical based on your assumptions. However, based on ELO, this would not be the case. So long as your ELO score is over 2000 (which it is), reseting would only harm your ranking.

What ever happened to ELO?