Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Flag Burning

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 4:37:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This BIG ISSUE needs some amendments.

I am CON flag burning on basis that it should not be done. I believe that it is freedom of expression and should be legal, so what would I choose on the big issues board, pro or con? Again, this issue needs further specification.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 4:58:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 4:37:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
This BIG ISSUE needs some amendments.

I am CON flag burning on basis that it should not be done. I believe that it is freedom of expression and should be legal, so what would I choose on the big issues board, pro or con? Again, this issue needs further specification.:

Most people don't personally like flag burning, but if you respect that it should be a right as a freedom of expression, then you are PRO.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:02:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 4:58:20 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 9/24/2011 4:37:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
This BIG ISSUE needs some amendments.

I am CON flag burning on basis that it should not be done. I believe that it is freedom of expression and should be legal, so what would I choose on the big issues board, pro or con? Again, this issue needs further specification.:

Most people don't personally like flag burning, but if you respect that it should be a right as a freedom of expression, then you are PRO.

Well, its not just that I don't like it, I think that it should never be done, ever, because of social effects, cultural effects, nationalistic outrage etc. I don't think it should be illegal, because that puts a power to the government that ought not be given to them. This is a question of being against something for moral reasons or legal reasons.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:07:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 5:05:00 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Farting in church is legal too.

.......and?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:08:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well, its not just that I don't like it, I think that it should never be done, ever, because of social effects, cultural effects, nationalistic outrage etc. I don't think it should be illegal, because that puts a power to the government that ought not be given to them. This is a question of being against something for moral reasons or legal reasons.:

I can guarantee that most people that vote PRO on flag burning aren't voting for it because they like it on a personal level, but that they respect the right in which to do it.

I think flag burning is destructive and counterproductive way to express oneself, but I still respect their right to be infantile about it if they want.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:10:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 5:08:38 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Well, its not just that I don't like it, I think that it should never be done, ever, because of social effects, cultural effects, nationalistic outrage etc. I don't think it should be illegal, because that puts a power to the government that ought not be given to them. This is a question of being against something for moral reasons or legal reasons.:

I can guarantee that most people that vote PRO on flag burning aren't voting for it because they like it on a personal level, but that they respect the right in which to do it.

I think flag burning is destructive and counterproductive way to express oneself, but I still respect their right to be infantile about it if they want.

I'm legally for it...Morally against it. Why should I automatically be pro?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:11:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 5:05:00 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Farting in church is legal too.:

Gah!!! And to think, I've been holding them in at church all these years!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:13:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm legally for it...Morally against it. Why should I automatically be pro?:

You can say whatever you want, it really doesn't matter to me. But the context of the question is from a legal perspective, which is why I voted pro.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:18:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 5:13:27 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I'm legally for it...Morally against it. Why should I automatically be pro?:

You can say whatever you want, it really doesn't matter to me. But the context of the question is from a legal perspective, which is why I voted pro.

Really?.... because I'm pretty sure that the people that are CON patriotism probably don't think it should be illegal..
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:25:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 5:18:23 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/24/2011 5:13:27 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I'm legally for it...Morally against it. Why should I automatically be pro?:

You can say whatever you want, it really doesn't matter to me. But the context of the question is from a legal perspective, which is why I voted pro.

Really?.... because I'm pretty sure that the people that are CON patriotism probably don't think it should be illegal..:

I would wait until other people chime in with their responses, but my interpretation is something to the affect of "Flag Burning: Should you be allowed to do it?"

My answer is, yes, you should be allowed to do it... but, wow, you're a vagina-face for wanting to. :)
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Jon1
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 5:42:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 4:37:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
This BIG ISSUE needs some amendments.

I am CON flag burning on basis that it should not be done. I believe that it is freedom of expression and should be legal, so what would I choose on the big issues board, pro or con? Again, this issue needs further specification.

I believe you can leave comments on your big issues, do that.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 6:04:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 5:42:46 PM, Jon1 wrote:
At 9/24/2011 4:37:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
This BIG ISSUE needs some amendments.

I am CON flag burning on basis that it should not be done. I believe that it is freedom of expression and should be legal, so what would I choose on the big issues board, pro or con? Again, this issue needs further specification.

I believe you can leave comments on your big issues, do that.

The point is not addressed specifically to me. The point is that we can be PRO or CON something for reasons OTHER than legality. The fact that the BIG ISSUES board does not specify which form we are to support or oppose makes the projections of people's beliefs highly inaccurate. 28% of DDO is against patriotism, but I highly doubt that any of them think it should be illegal...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Jon1
Posts: 314
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 6:17:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 6:04:51 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/24/2011 5:42:46 PM, Jon1 wrote:
At 9/24/2011 4:37:45 PM, 000ike wrote:
This BIG ISSUE needs some amendments.

I am CON flag burning on basis that it should not be done. I believe that it is freedom of expression and should be legal, so what would I choose on the big issues board, pro or con? Again, this issue needs further specification.

I believe you can leave comments on your big issues, do that.

The point is not addressed specifically to me. The point is that we can be PRO or CON something for reasons OTHER than legality. The fact that the BIG ISSUES board does not specify which form we are to support or oppose makes the projections of people's beliefs highly inaccurate. 28% of DDO is against patriotism, but I highly doubt that any of them think it should be illegal...

Everyone can clarify their position by leving a comment on the big issues. Not that hard, I don't see what the problem is. Also, it's impossible to outlaw patriotism for by following this law you show love for your nation, hence patriotism.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 6:18:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think there is no specific "way," to answer the BIG Issues (which I think need updating).

But, if I were you, I'd say I was CON because you are for it only in the lightest sense: you support it legally, but are almost completely opposed to it. Thus, you are CON.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 6:24:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 6:18:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I think there is no specific "way," to answer the BIG Issues (which I think need updating).

But, if I were you, I'd say I was CON because you are for it only in the lightest sense: you support it legally, but are almost completely opposed to it. Thus, you are CON.

All I'm asking from DDO is to specify, because I'm tired of people like you calling me authoritarian because they assume that I want flag burning and such illegal (with the exception of legalizing drugs). Theres too much confusion in what people actually believe versus what the BIG ISSUES project us to believe.

Its funny that you say I would be CON, because paradigm said I would be PRO. See,...case in point, theres confusion.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 6:28:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 6:24:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/24/2011 6:18:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I think there is no specific "way," to answer the BIG Issues (which I think need updating).

But, if I were you, I'd say I was CON because you are for it only in the lightest sense: you support it legally, but are almost completely opposed to it. Thus, you are CON.

All I'm asking from DDO is to specify, because I'm tired of people like you calling me authoritarian because they assume that I want flag burning and such illegal (with the exception of legalizing drugs). Theres too much confusion in what people actually believe versus what the BIG ISSUES project us to believe.

Its funny that you say I would be CON, because paradigm said I would be PRO. See,...case in point, theres confusion.

I call you authoritarian from what I've heard directly from you, not by your BIG Issues. BUT, I digress...

Anyway; I think that it's really asking whether you think that whatever it is should exist--i.e, the UN, or the US--clearly you can't outlaw a country from existing.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2011 6:35:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/24/2011 6:28:12 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 9/24/2011 6:24:44 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/24/2011 6:18:37 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I think there is no specific "way," to answer the BIG Issues (which I think need updating).

But, if I were you, I'd say I was CON because you are for it only in the lightest sense: you support it legally, but are almost completely opposed to it. Thus, you are CON.

All I'm asking from DDO is to specify, because I'm tired of people like you calling me authoritarian because they assume that I want flag burning and such illegal (with the exception of legalizing drugs). Theres too much confusion in what people actually believe versus what the BIG ISSUES project us to believe.

Its funny that you say I would be CON, because paradigm said I would be PRO. See,...case in point, theres confusion.

I call you authoritarian from what I've heard directly from you, not by your BIG Issues. BUT, I digress...

I lol'd at that. All you've heard from me is my stance on gay marriage, PAS and drug legalization. On top of that, there's a significantly high percent of issues we agree on from this same board. If you really, honestly think those are grounds for authoritarianism, then I guess I'll leave you to believe so, though I find it silly.

Anyway; I think that it's really asking whether you think that whatever it is should exist--i.e, the UN, or the US--clearly you can't outlaw a country from existing.

That's an interesting take on it. but we must still remember that not everyone views it that way. So if there are 2 people who agree on everything, but 1 votes in the big issues from a purely legal standpoint, and the other votes in the big issues from a purely moral standpoint, and neither of them vote based on whether it should exist, then it will look like they disagree.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault