Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Midterm Poll Results

Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 11:41:42 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.debate.org...

Here are the results for the midterm polls. I'm starting an interview with Innomen and that should be posted this week as well.

Thank you,
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 12:09:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 12:06:34 PM, Raisor wrote:
What the heck was the AnCap exodus?

A number of members (Mostly of the Anarcho-capitalism and strong right-wing libertarianism beliefs) choose to leave DDO. These included J.Kenyon, Sieben, Cody_Franklin and more. At first they created another forum, but it has since died. Some have returned to DDO, others have moved on to other forums.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 12:09:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 12:06:34 PM, Raisor wrote:
What the heck was the AnCap exodus?

An- anarchists
Cap- capitalists
Ancap - you guessed it
Exodus - A mass departure of people
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 12:47:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 12:06:34 PM, Raisor wrote:
What the heck was the AnCap exodus?

A bunch of people some quite intelligent who pretended to call themselves anarcho-capitalists left... not quite sure why.

I miss annhasle though.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 1:02:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 12:46:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Why did they decide to leave?

Funnily enough, the main reason was lack of website moderation. Somewhat ironic.
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 1:04:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 1:02:25 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 9/26/2011 12:46:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Why did they decide to leave?

Funnily enough, the main reason was lack of website moderation. Somewhat ironic.

Actually, didn't they have a website they were going to? What happened to it int he end?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 1:15:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 1:04:49 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 9/26/2011 1:02:25 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 9/26/2011 12:46:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Why did they decide to leave?

Funnily enough, the main reason was lack of website moderation. Somewhat ironic.

Yes it is! I don't think AnCaps realize that you need to pay taxes in order to use facilities like roads, freeways, parks, electricity, water, police etc. I don't think they understand why anarchy doesn't work.

Actually, didn't they have a website they were going to? What happened to it int he end?

I don't think it ever materialized. In order to start a website, you need at least a few people who are realistic. A bunch of "ancaps" by themselves can't start a website.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 1:58:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 1:04:49 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 9/26/2011 1:02:25 PM, Kinesis wrote:
At 9/26/2011 12:46:22 PM, Raisor wrote:
Why did they decide to leave?

Funnily enough, the main reason was lack of website moderation. Somewhat ironic.

Actually, didn't they have a website they were going to? What happened to it int he end?

Yes, it went on for a little while, but died out. I think it gets something like 1 post every other week now. Sieben has gone back to Mises.org, Grape has returned, at least partially (he's in a mafia game after all). Social has returned. Askbob tries to return and I'm sure is lurking in PMs and what nots. Not sure about Cody or Keynon.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 2:26:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 1:58:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Yes, it went on for a little while, but died out. I think it gets something like 1 post every other week now. Sieben has gone back to Mises.org, Grape has returned, at least partially (he's in a mafia game after all). Social has returned. Askbob tries to return and I'm sure is lurking in PMs and what nots. Not sure about Cody or Keynon.

I never knew Grape or spinko left. Askbob is certainly not an an-cap. I never took annhasle as an an-cap seriously. Sieben tries to instigate pro an-cap debates on Facebook by probing people with sarcastic comments; it must get boring commiserating only with like-minded people on a site like mises. Cody and Kenyon are probably busy with school. Honestly, to them I say good riddance. Sometimes I miss having them around, because they'd destroy the idiotic arguments and straw man arguments that people like to make against anarchy and/or capitalism. Even if I disagreed with the an-caps on some things, they certainly knew how to argue effectively (or rather copy and paste something someone previously argued on mises) and definitely contributed food for thought to this site. Their "exodus" made no sense and was just arrogant. That would be like all of the theists leaving because people didn't agree or understand with their arguments right away, or all the liberals, or all the whatevers. The entire point of this site is to engage and debate. Sure it's frustrating, but that's part of it. But whatever.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 2:27:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 2:26:23 PM, Danielle wrote:
Honestly, to them I say good riddance.

By them I mean all the ancaps, not Cody or Kenyon specifically :P
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 2:41:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 2:26:23 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 9/26/2011 1:58:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Yes, it went on for a little while, but died out. I think it gets something like 1 post every other week now. Sieben has gone back to Mises.org, Grape has returned, at least partially (he's in a mafia game after all). Social has returned. Askbob tries to return and I'm sure is lurking in PMs and what nots. Not sure about Cody or Keynon.

I never knew Grape or spinko left. Askbob is certainly not an an-cap. I never took annhasle as an an-cap seriously. Sieben tries to instigate pro an-cap debates on Facebook by probing people with sarcastic comments; it must get boring commiserating only with like-minded people on a site like mises. Cody and Kenyon are probably busy with school. Honestly, to them I say good riddance. Sometimes I miss having them around, because they'd destroy the idiotic arguments and straw man arguments that people like to make against anarchy and/or capitalism. Even if I disagreed with the an-caps on some things, they certainly knew how to argue effectively (or rather copy and paste something someone previously argued on mises) and definitely contributed food for thought to this site. Their "exodus" made no sense and was just arrogant. That would be like all of the theists leaving because people didn't agree or understand with their arguments right away, or all the liberals, or all the whatevers. The entire point of this site is to engage and debate. Sure it's frustrating, but that's part of it. But whatever.

True, Askbob wasn't an AnCap, but he left to their new site with them, and was then until it died from inactivity, then he started coming back.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 2:43:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 2:41:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

True, Askbob wasn't an AnCap, but he left to their new site with them, and was then until it died from inactivity, then he started coming back.

No offense, but askbob sounds more like a glorified bully than a hero.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 2:45:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 2:43:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/26/2011 2:41:45 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

True, Askbob wasn't an AnCap, but he left to their new site with them, and was then until it died from inactivity, then he started coming back.

No offense, but askbob sounds more like a glorified bully than a hero.

I don't take offense to that, he is. He could have made the argument that he only attacks trolls, but when he threatened to release Innomen's private info if Innomen didn't get Juggle to ban the people that Askbob considers trolls, that pretty muched killed any argument that he only targets trolls.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:42:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 5:40:51 PM, Raisor wrote:
Aw, Grape is gone? I always really respected his arguments.

He was gone, he has come back to a limited degree.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:44:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 5:42:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:40:51 PM, Raisor wrote:
Aw, Grape is gone? I always really respected his arguments.

He was gone, he has come back to a limited degree.

Grape, J.Kenyon, and Cody are three of the best debaters on the sites, and most of them ancaps (am I correct?)

And whatever happened to J.Kenyon or Cody?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:45:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 5:44:07 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:42:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:40:51 PM, Raisor wrote:
Aw, Grape is gone? I always really respected his arguments.

He was gone, he has come back to a limited degree.

Grape, J.Kenyon, and Cody are three of the best debaters on the sites, and most of them ancaps (am I correct?)

And whatever happened to J.Kenyon or Cody?

No, three good debaters, not the best.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:45:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 5:44:07 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:42:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:40:51 PM, Raisor wrote:
Aw, Grape is gone? I always really respected his arguments.

He was gone, he has come back to a limited degree.

Grape, J.Kenyon, and Cody are three of the best debaters on the sites, and most of them ancaps (am I correct?)

And whatever happened to J.Kenyon or Cody?

Not sure, they went to the new site, which was setup by Seiben, but since it has died, I don't know where they went.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:46:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 5:45:19 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:44:07 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:42:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:40:51 PM, Raisor wrote:
Aw, Grape is gone? I always really respected his arguments.

He was gone, he has come back to a limited degree.

Grape, J.Kenyon, and Cody are three of the best debaters on the sites, and most of them ancaps (am I correct?)

And whatever happened to J.Kenyon or Cody?

No, three good debaters, not the best.

Sorry, but "of the best", not the best...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/26/2011 5:46:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/26/2011 5:45:19 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:44:07 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:42:50 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/26/2011 5:40:51 PM, Raisor wrote:
Aw, Grape is gone? I always really respected his arguments.

He was gone, he has come back to a limited degree.

Grape, J.Kenyon, and Cody are three of the best debaters on the sites, and most of them ancaps (am I correct?)

And whatever happened to J.Kenyon or Cody?

No, three good debaters, not the best.

Grape and J.Kenyon are definately in the ranks of "the best," Cody didn't do much debating in his later months (I think in his last year, he only did a few debates), but he was still a good debator.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:01:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Askbob and Sieben were two major jackasses who downgraded the community. There departure was a blessing. J.Kenyon was a bully as well, although he was a great debater and contributed quite a bit. It's strange, askbob was in no way an anarchist, in fact he was keynesian, but the ancaps voted exlusively for him.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:07:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/27/2011 12:01:11 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Askbob and Sieben were two major jackasses who downgraded the community. There departure was a blessing. J.Kenyon was a bully as well, although he was a great debater and contributed quite a bit. It's strange, askbob was in no way an anarchist, in fact he was keynesian, but the ancaps voted exlusively for him.

How was Jkenyon a bully? What's his story?
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:13:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/27/2011 12:07:40 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 9/27/2011 12:01:11 AM, darkkermit wrote:
Askbob and Sieben were two major jackasses who downgraded the community. There departure was a blessing. J.Kenyon was a bully as well, although he was a great debater and contributed quite a bit. It's strange, askbob was in no way an anarchist, in fact he was keynesian, but the ancaps voted exlusively for him.

How was Jkenyon a bully? What's his story?

He wasn't that bad. But he did have his moments. He did chase Insertnamehere off he forums at one point. But to be fair, she was leaving the site and coming back constantly that everyone got sick of it.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:25:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Kenyon would sometimes argue rudely with other (top) debaters about RFD's, though this wasn't a regular occurrence. He, like others, could be fairly condescending at times as well, but for the most part he was alright.

Sieben was obviously a jerk, and he knew it. His debating style is extremely aggressive, albeit effective. In fact, Sieben actually is a really intelligent dude who knows how to judge and win debate rounds. I actually got more laughs from him than an other member of the site. Not because he was trying to be funny (though he would have some subtle humor in debates), but because in one sentence he would call somebody a sack of sh!t, and in the next he would talk about the "interjection of subjective orthodox ideals".

People didn't like him because of not only his aggressive style, (showcased in bottom debate), but because he would start comment wars about any RFD he disagreed with, even on debates he wasn't a part of.

http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 12:44:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/27/2011 12:25:22 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Kenyon would sometimes argue rudely with other (top) debaters about RFD's, though this wasn't a regular occurrence. He, like others, could be fairly condescending at times as well, but for the most part he was alright.

Sieben was obviously a jerk, and he knew it. His debating style is extremely aggressive, albeit effective. In fact, Sieben actually is a really intelligent dude who knows how to judge and win debate rounds. I actually got more laughs from him than an other member of the site. Not because he was trying to be funny (though he would have some subtle humor in debates), but because in one sentence he would call somebody a sack of sh!t, and in the next he would talk about the "interjection of subjective orthodox ideals".

People didn't like him because of not only his aggressive style, (showcased in bottom debate), but because he would start comment wars about any RFD he disagreed with, even on debates he wasn't a part of.

http://www.debate.org...

This debate was absolutely hilarious! Everyone who needs a good laugh should read it. Sieben is hilarious. In fact, ignore his opponent and go straight to Sieben's argument.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/27/2011 1:26:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah, I loved it when he said "Morality does not constrain us to Paul Ryan's retarded document". As disliked as he was, he had some really good and memorable quotes.

Look at the comments too. At one point he says "You and Paul Ryan have a brain disease." :)