Jump to topic:

"Obvious" win

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:03:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Why do many people make it a point to vote on the "obvious" wins as opposed to reading complicated competitive debates and voting on them. Note that I am not calling anyone out and if you are one of those people who read competitive debates in addition to the obvious ones, this thread doesn't apply to you.

But the question is: why do people make it a point to do this?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:10:50 PM
Laziness. No one's ready to read a whole altercation on the dime, but everyone loves to quick skim, see a forfeit, and votebomb like theres no tomorrow. While you offset this by voting on many legitimate debates, F-16, I know you vote on such short and obvious arguments very often, and votebomb forfeiters even though, all that was really necessary was to dock arguments and conduct.......
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:25:09 PM
hmm, I think i vote on a mix of short/easy & long/challenging debates. i probably have more votes on the easy ones. i actually read much more of the challenging debates, but i don't vote on them as often, because it takes extra work to read with voting criteria in mind. I often skim them and don't think its fair to vote on something that i've briefly looked at, or don't fully understand all of the points. i also usually am more inclined to vote on a debate that doesn't have any, or many votes already.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:37:47 PM
To up your vote count and laziness.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
randolph7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 2:50:17 PM
People are naturally lazy? Does this surprise anyone?
"ahh but i have indeed found the burdon of truth the, muffs have found it. oh mothy dear dear mothy"
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 5:21:53 PM
I have found myself voting more so on easy debates lately then complicated ones (although I have plenty of serious debate votes). Part of it is the time factor. Serious debates require a commitment to anyone who wants to vote fairly. Unless the debate is really interesting (which is rare because by now we have mostly seen it all) then I am just doing it to give back to the community, which unfortunately is not something many are concerned about.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 9:16:11 PM
At 9/28/2011 5:21:53 PM, Double_R wrote:
Unless the debate is really interesting (which is rare because by now we have mostly seen it all)...

Anyone want to debate me on abortion? Or the existence of God?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 9:23:17 PM
At 9/28/2011 9:16:11 PM, Raisor wrote:
Unless the debate is really interesting (which is rare because by now we have mostly seen it all)...

Lets do death penalty!
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2011 9:27:46 PM
At 9/28/2011 9:23:17 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 9/28/2011 9:16:11 PM, Raisor wrote:

Lets do death penalty!

Only after we sort out how many contradictions there are in the New Testament.
jm_notguilty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 8:24:04 AM
At 9/28/2011 2:10:50 PM, 000ike wrote:
Laziness.

This.

I really don't like voting on high quality debates because of that reason, and it's also because of me afraid of missing some parts when I post a lame RFD.