Jump to topic:

Why did you join DDO?

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 3:28:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I joined to debate only 2 things: Secession, and Death Penalty. The latter unfortunately, after my first debate, my stance on it got thrown out of wack.

How about you?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 3:41:00 PM
Ah, I remember that debate. And I'm proud that I actually threw something out of whack.

Anyhoozle: I joined teh DDO largely because i was used to talking about philosophy and debating in Youtube comments and one (crappy) philosophy forum. And so I did a google search for a gay marriage debate, and I got one that was between Contradiction and Freeman, I think. So, I started looking around and said "holy sh!t, this is for me!" And then I created an account. I even remember the time too--it was around 11:45 at night.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
randolph7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 3:45:05 PM
For me I was looking for a side by side stances on a particular issue and had only found websites devote to one side or the other. Then during a google search I found this site and decided to stay.
"ahh but i have indeed found the burdon of truth the, muffs have found it. oh mothy dear dear mothy"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 3:46:57 PM
I was looking for a picture of something on google (something political, I don't remember). On the first page, was the picture of someone I went to school with, and I was like "Holy Cow Monkeys!!" When I clicked on it, it linked to a debate of his on the topic that I was looking for a picture for. So, I roamed around a little and decided to join (since I had been away from political forums for awhile, since the last one I was on closed down just a few months after I left it, so I couldn't go back).

Been here ever since.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 3:48:33 PM
I wanted to do a debate saying that the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty (NPT) is unfair. I did get to debate quarterexchange on it, so that was great.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 3:52:10 PM
I wanted to debate a certain sports topic with someone in a formal style. I enjoyed the debating system as well as the unique debates people would come up with.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 4:35:06 PM
So that I could post my debate cases and have people tear them down (so that I could see potential weaknesses and fix them) and to practice writing arguments
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 4:52:32 PM
About a year and a half ago maybe, for some reason the idea entered my head that joining a debate site would be fun. I didn't try it though until about six months ago.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 4:59:05 PM
Was desperate for a new home after being at Yickyak for a long while, which became pretty terrible, but i will say it took me a while to acclimate here. When i first tried it out there was a huge amount of drama going on with the prior owner and...well you know that whole history, so i left DDO alone, but eventually started to engage with the members. It was definitely not the YickYak crowd. I remember my first little exchange was with Kinesis, and he pretty much made me look like an idiot very fast. I realized i needed a more focused game on here than at YickYak, but i will say that i was more arrogant when i came here because of the age disparity of the average user, and that was a tremendous mistake. Roy pretty much told me at the beginning that the caliber here was pretty high, but i had to experience it myself.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 10:47:32 PM
I got tired of hearing about 9/11 truthers nonsense and bickering with them on youtube. I wanted to have a real debate on the subject where they would actually have to defend their claims. I never thought I would stick around, but this debate stuff kinda grew on me.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 11:32:37 PM
I noticed that I spend time debating (idiots) online but usually nothing good comes out of it because (a) It's always uncivil (b) there is no way to determine winner or losers of debate. This site eliminates the two.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 3:17:32 AM
At 9/30/2011 3:07:54 AM, Volkov wrote:
I looked up debate and ended up here. I tend to fall into things.

Now just stick around a little longer.
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:34:10 AM
I tried searching for a site with the highest concentration of KFC and that took me to DDO, I jest, see my cousins closed accounts.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Joseph_Mengele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 8:05:45 AM
I mostly joined DDO for the opportunity to debate others. (Duh)

But on a more serious note, I've been a very active member of Stormfront, and I have noticed that stormfront's moderators usually ban members that have opposing white nationalist views. For that reason, I was never able to argue with them effectively for a long time, and I eventually joined here.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 8:47:57 AM
This is funny. It seems like everyone was on either a 1 sided website or arguing with idiots and decided to look for a debate site. I was once on Yahoo!Answers and answering political questions, but the site was waaay to conservative republican dominated, so I went out in search of a debate site.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
jm_notguilty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 10:13:38 AM
I started blogging about lame stuffs, then I realized how I suck at it, and no one really reads them, so I just thought of debating people, I searched for forums, but too much morons and prejudiced idiots, so I googled DDO and here I am.

...And the fact that I like to debate people and a training for my future.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 10:20:48 AM
At 9/30/2011 8:47:57 AM, 000ike wrote:
This is funny. It seems like everyone was on either a 1 sided website or arguing with idiots and decided to look for a debate site. I was once on Yahoo!Answers and answering political questions, but the site was waaay to conservative republican dominated, so I went out in search of a debate site.

Strange, when I was on Yahoo Answers a lot (like two years ago) it was super liberal dominated. I guess it just varies
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 10:25:24 AM
At 9/30/2011 10:20:48 AM, thett3 wrote:

Strange, when I was on Yahoo Answers a lot (like two years ago) it was super liberal dominated. I guess it just varies

I did wiki.answers, but I stayed out of political questions and their forums.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 10:35:15 AM
I was tending to argue at or just bore to tears some of my friends and aquaintances with social, political and religous topics. I'd not had internet at home for long and it occured to me that it might be more productive to debate this stuff with opinionated strangers rather than people I interact with in real life. I googled debate and this came out top.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 12:50:21 PM

I forgot about yahoo answers, I did that too. But I got tired of people just spewing out nonsense and not having to defend it. I don't remember it being necessarily conservative or liberal. I guess when you have a strong ideology any website feels like it's crawling with the opposite.
quarterexchange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:26:36 PM
I was planning on joining the speech and debate team this year so I opened up my account towards the end of the last school year to get an idea of how debates went down and how arguments were constructed, since until I came to DDO, this video was my only guideline to making rock solid refutations.
I don't discriminate....I hate everybody.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:50:48 PM
I wanted somewhere to debate intellectual people since I know very few people IRL that actually enjoy debating AND are good at it. I forget what I looked up, but this came up. I had been searching for another site I had once stumbled upon, but couldn't find it. I decided to give DDO a shot, and I don't plan on leaving any time soon.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:55:38 PM
At 9/30/2011 6:53:23 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
For the power.

Just wait, Innomen.

You're actually 7th in the DDO illuminati list for power. So you'll get your chance, but it will be awhile.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:57:06 PM
At 9/30/2011 6:55:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
For the power.

Just wait, Innomen.

You're actually 7th in the DDO illuminati list for power. So you'll get your chance, but it will be awhile.

Did I miss something? Is there a list?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 6:58:47 PM
At 9/29/2011 3:28:54 PM, 000ike wrote:
I joined to debate only 2 things: Secession, and Death Penalty. The latter unfortunately, after my first debate, my stance on it got thrown out of wack.

How about you?:

I grew tired of the last forum I was on. Looking for a change of venue but every bit as intellectual.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 7:00:31 PM
At 9/30/2011 6:55:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
For the power.

Just wait, Innomen.

Not true, Master Zen wouldn't tell the list to anyone.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2011 9:04:03 PM
I was researching Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and decided I wanted to do a debate on here. I liked it, and did one on gun control. Then I joined the forums.