Jump to topic:

History Cataory

Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 5:00:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think DDO needs to add a category for history in debates and forum post. I've mainly been putting historical post in philosophy or sometimes science, but I think it is a large enough category by itself to have its own.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 5:02:18 PM
At 9/29/2011 5:00:29 PM, Mikeee wrote:
I think DDO needs to add a category for history in debates and forum post. I've mainly been putting historical post in philosophy or sometimes science, but I think it is a large enough category by itself to have its own.

This was brought up ages ago and almost everyone supported it. I wander why they still haven't done it.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 5:02:38 PM

Neh, thats too many categories. Historical debates can fit under miscellaneous, politics, or society depending.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 5:06:13 PM
Not a debate about this historical thing was better than that, or theories about what happened to people or ancient civilizations....
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 5:07:02 PM
At 9/29/2011 5:02:38 PM, 000ike wrote:

Neh, thats too many categories. Historical debates can fit under miscellaneous, politics, or society depending.

Society, art, entertainment, technology, and maybe economics could all go. That would make room for another category.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 5:09:54 PM
At 9/29/2011 5:02:18 PM, phantom wrote:

This was brought up ages ago and almost everyone supported it. I wander why they still haven't done it.

It's actually brought up periodically, and we did a poll and there just wasn't very much support for it. I would like a history category, and really enjoy discussing history. The problem i have with discussing history is, generally speaking, few bother to understand, and really appreciate the context, but rather only understand the facts without being able to attribute true value on them.
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2011 5:15:19 PM
That seems to happen a lot. My opponent will say something like, everyone did this or that. I would give multiple exceptions, but they would either completely ignore it, or say something stupid, like, it didn't happen, its scientifically impossible, or scientific evidence outweighs it.