Jump to topic:

debate.org running propositition 8

Wayne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2008 11:15:39 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
I am saddened by the fact that debate.org is running pro-proposition 8 Advertisement.

i know debate.org is just doing it for the money, but still, debate.org should reject showing their advertisements =[

just my opinion, i hope the webmasters of this site aren't against gay rights
To be or not to be... what kind of question is that?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 7:51:06 AM
Where exactly did you see it? The banner up at the top or the googlesearch style ads to the sides?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Add Post
Forum Moderator

10/19/2008 9:06:49 AM
We don't choose which ads run on Debate.org...advertisers run their ads through Google AdWords.
Phil
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 9:11:22 AM
It always amazes me how opposed to "Free Speech" liberals really are if you don't agree with them. Just the other day I saw a woman get out of her car and tear down a Prop 8 sign right in front of me. I'm pretty sure that's a federal offense...removing political signs...but I'm not sure. I am supporting Proposition 8, and believe it will pass.

I don't want my children being taught about homosexuality in the public schools.

YES ON PROPOSITION 8
Envy the country that has heroes. Pitty the country that needs them.
knick-knack
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 9:17:17 AM
At 10/19/2008 9:11:22 AM, Phil wrote:
It always amazes me how opposed to "Free Speech" liberals really are if you don't agree with them. Just the other day I saw a woman get out of her car and tear down a Prop 8 sign right in front of me. I'm pretty sure that's a federal offense...removing political signs...but I'm not sure. I am supporting Proposition 8, and believe it will pass.

I don't want my children being taught about homosexuality in the public schools.

YES ON PROPOSITION 8

Actually if it was on public property you can tear it down.
There was this lady on the news that kept putting a sign by a certain lightpole on public property and it was getting taken down everyday...
So she chained it up to the pole and the chain got cut and the sign was taken down by someone, well I don't know how the story ends but it's totally legal to answer your question. :D

Agreed on the children being taught about homosexuals in school. It's not good.
John Hancock
Sweatingjojo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 9:25:28 AM
And anyway, I just saw a 'John McCain hates choice for women, don't vote for him' banner ad. I don't think the owners have much say in what is advertised on their website.
Zerosmelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 10:21:38 AM
At 10/19/2008 9:27:22 AM, joshandr30 wrote:
YES, on proposition 8.

Homosexuality is against everything in and above the universe. Theists and Atheists alike.

LOL atheists alike eh? josh why are their gay animals then?
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 11:06:06 AM
I absolutely despise this common argument that "Gay isn't natural". SO WHAT? This is a common fallacy of appeal to nature.

It doesn't matter whether or not something is natural; we can't judge the morality of an issue based on whether or not it's natural.

It's natural for animals to hunt down another one, bite it's neck off, and then eat it whole. So can I do that to the conservatives I see around me :D?
Zerosmelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 11:22:40 AM
good point but the funniest thing about it is that the conservatives aren't even in the position to use the naturalist fallacy. Never mind the fact that it would be a fallacious argument if they could use it.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 11:28:32 AM
Not being gay myself, I really don't care. If they get the right, good for them, sounds fun. If not, that's fine too, it just means that society isn't ready yet.

Personally, I think that instead of giving marriage rights to gay people, they should take away certain legal aspects of marriage from straight people. Getting married shouldn't automatically entitle you or your spouse to any benefits other than being married.

I say, ban all the legal perks of being married for EVERYONE, and if you want to apply for those perks, fill out forms.

That way, marriage stops being a legal thing and is only a personal thing, and none of the courts will have problems saying OK to gay marriage.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
LR4N6FTW4EVA
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 11:31:44 AM
Gay people are icky... Make them stay in California. Just kidding, obviously. I sya no to Prop. 8, although I don't really care all that much. People have the right to marry any consenting individual, man or women. It goes the same for polygamy, yes, it's weird, but so what? It's their right. In fact, it is probably more natural than monogamy.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 12:57:45 PM

YES ON PROPOSITION 8
Umm...

What does Proposition 8 have to do with public schools? I thought it was about marriage...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 1:07:20 PM
At 10/19/2008 12:57:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

YES ON PROPOSITION 8
Umm...

What does Proposition 8 have to do with public schools? I thought it was about marriage...

Is he mixing gay marriage with Intelligent Design? Because that would be HILARIOUS.

PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 1:08:49 PM
At 10/19/2008 12:57:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

It's a load of bullcrap that has been thrown at our (Californian) television sets through commercials.

They claim the following (among other things); all stuff taken from their website:
1) Homosexuality would be required education for even 2nd graders.
2) Pastors would be sued for not performing gay marriages.
3) Homosexuality would run rampant through our streets.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
Zerosmelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 1:36:04 PM
At 10/19/2008 1:19:38 PM, Wayne wrote:
omg look!!

http://img524.imageshack.us...

debate.org cant control the banner on top?

didn't you read what the mod said

We don't choose which ads run on Debate.org...advertisers run their ads through Google AdWords.
Zerosmelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 1:37:52 PM
the ads that appear are relevant to the discussions on the page... it is because you are talking about Prop 8 that you see ads about it. It is the fault of the people against prop 8 that there are no ads against prop 8.
Zerosmelt
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 1:38:58 PM
At 10/19/2008 11:28:32 AM, Kleptin wrote:
Not being gay myself, I really don't care. If they get the right, good for them, sounds fun. If not, that's fine too, it just means that society isn't ready yet.

Personally, I think that instead of giving marriage rights to gay people, they should take away certain legal aspects of marriage from straight people. Getting married shouldn't automatically entitle you or your spouse to any benefits other than being married.

I say, ban all the legal perks of being married for EVERYONE, and if you want to apply for those perks, fill out forms.

That way, marriage stops being a legal thing and is only a personal thing, and none of the courts will have problems saying OK to gay marriage.

Amen to that.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 1:39:35 PM
At 10/19/2008 1:19:38 PM, Wayne wrote:
omg look!!

http://img524.imageshack.us...

debate.org cant control the banner on top?

As a webmaster, you probably wouldn't understand.

Google just provides a tiny piece of javascript for you to put on your pages. You have very little control over what goes up.

Phil COULD make a list of sites to not link to (this feature was added so that competitors wouldn't be linked to), but I doubt he will. First, it probably generates him a lot of clicks, and second, he is against gay marriage.
Wayne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 1:48:14 PM
i didnt think that both the Ads on the side and the banner on the top are both google ads.

only the ads on the side is labeled as google ads
To be or not to be... what kind of question is that?
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 1:59:23 PM
At 10/19/2008 1:48:14 PM, Wayne wrote:
i didnt think that both the Ads on the side and the banner on the top are both google ads.

only the ads on the side is labeled as google ads

http://img205.imageshack.us...

Because of the nature of flash ads, it would be impractical for Google to put their little stamp on there.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 2:35:07 PM
At 10/19/2008 2:27:39 PM, LR4N6FTW4EVA wrote:
What operating system do you have? The picture looks like you're running a Windows 2000. What's with that?

Windows XP.
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2008 2:51:05 PM
At 10/19/2008 2:46:12 PM, LR4N6FTW4EVA wrote:
My XP on Firefox looks like this

I didn't like the look of it that way, so I changed it.

But back to prop 8...