Jump to topic:

Debate Club

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:03:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm thinking about making one in my school. However I have no idea how it operates. What is the structure of a debate club, and how is it run? Is there a standard? Are teachers or students the judges? etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:05:01 PM
At 10/5/2011 4:03:14 PM, 000ike wrote:
I'm thinking about making one in my school. However I have no idea how it operates. What is the structure of a debate club, and how is it run? Is there a standard? Are teachers or students the judges? etc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If it is sponsored by the school then it is "technically" a sport, and you can earn a varsity letter
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:17:07 PM
At 10/5/2011 4:05:01 PM, Mikeee wrote:

If it is sponsored by the school then it is "technically" a sport, and you can earn a varsity letter

You can tell them to F off. The chess club I co-founded at my school wasn't sponsored by the school (not until our 3rd year) and we went out and bought our own letters and patches.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:18:54 PM
http://www.idebate.org...

This is the best I could find online in 10 seconds.

I'd recommend finding some neighboring schools that have debate clubs and see how they do it, so that you can mimic the basic structure, yet still make it unique. That will also help you get into communicating with them to start competitions between schools.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:19:41 PM
At 10/5/2011 4:17:07 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

You can tell them to F off. The chess club I co-founded at my school wasn't sponsored by the school (not until our 3rd year) and we went out and bought our own letters and patches.

LOL were the letters N E R & D? :P
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:22:28 PM
At 10/5/2011 4:19:41 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:

We're all nerds here at DDO. :)
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:22:56 PM

I suppose telling you that I was in Concert Band, Marching Band, and Jazz band (lettered in all, for a total of 10 band letters) isn't gonna help, is it?
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:23:23 PM
At 10/5/2011 4:18:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I'd recommend finding some neighboring schools that have debate clubs and see how they do it, so that you can mimic the basic structure, yet still make it unique. That will also help you get into communicating with them to start competitions between schools.

Thanks, that was a very helpful website.
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:30:03 PM
At 10/5/2011 4:22:56 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I suppose telling you that I was in Concert Band, Marching Band, and Jazz band (lettered in all, for a total of 10 band letters) isn't gonna help, is it?

well im a musichead so i find that sexy :P (in a nerdy way of course)

anyway to 000ike, I'm not sure if your school is the same, but back in my day (lol) we had to have a teacher sponsor to start any official after school clubs. Maybe you could talk to some of your favorite teachers and see what their thoughts about it are and if they would help you?
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:31:00 PM
At 10/5/2011 4:23:23 PM, 000ike wrote:

I do think that going to local schools would be the most helpful, as they can more easily answer questions. The very best thing is to ask ask ask. The more you ask, the more it shows that you are really interested in making it work and so the more willing school officials will be to help.

It is also really freaking cool to be the one that starts something at your highschool. When I started the chess club back in 2003, we only managed to get 5 players by getting 2 from the middle school. We had one weekly tournament in Portland and had to drive ourselves. However, since then, our school has made it to the state tournament twice (07 and 09) and is a large part of the school now (they have 20+ members). It's pretty cool that on the wall, with the pictures of the teams that went to state, they have the picture of us first 5, framed.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 4:33:55 PM
At 10/5/2011 4:31:00 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 10/5/2011 4:23:23 PM, 000ike wrote:

I do think that going to local schools would be the most helpful, as they can more easily answer questions. The very best thing is to ask ask ask. The more you ask, the more it shows that you are really interested in making it work and so the more willing school officials will be to help.

It is also really freaking cool to be the one that starts something at your highschool. When I started the chess club back in 2003, we only managed to get 5 players by getting 2 from the middle school. We had one weekly tournament in Portland and had to drive ourselves. However, since then, our school has made it to the state tournament twice (07 and 09) and is a large part of the school now (they have 20+ members). It's pretty cool that on the wall, with the pictures of the teams that went to state, they have the picture of us first 5, framed.

correction, 08 and 10, not 07 and 09.

http://www.sherwoodgazette.com...

ah, the good ol' days.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2011 5:33:02 PM
Assuming you are in the U.S., you want to get in touch with the National Forensics League: http://www.nflonline.org...

If you are in a major city there may be an urban debate league associated with the NAUDL: http://www.urbandebate.org...

Your profile says you are in NJ, so check out: http://www.judl.org...

Other than that, see if any of the schools around you have clubs/teams and use them as resources to get involved. Actually now that I think about it, I actually know someone who runs the debate team for a private school in NJ. If you are serious about getting involved competitively I could ask him for some resources.