Post if you do/don't support....

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 12:23:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
don't...................care. :)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 12:39:41 AM
I'm a huge history nerd, and I still don't support it.

Why? I can't really see anything being debatable when it comes to history. The things that people think are debatable are not really when put next to the historic method. The people who go against the historic method are considered to be imbeciles by anyone who actually understands it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 1:34:48 AM
At 10/7/2011 12:39:41 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I'm a huge history nerd, and I still don't support it.

Why? I can't really see anything being debatable when it comes to history. The things that people think are debatable are not really when put next to the historic method. The people who go against the historic method are considered to be imbeciles by anyone who actually understands it.

This is a little arrogant. There are plenty of things that can be debated in history... Was the U.S. right in dropping the atomic bombs? Did the Founding Fathers intend to apply their personal faith to the nation and/or make it a "Christian" country? Should the Constitution be interpreted 'fundamentally' like the Tea Partyists suggest? Should the States have had the right to secede without having to fight a war for freedom? Who was a better president - President X or President Y? Were the European alliances beneficial or problematic regarding WWI? Did the Industrial Revolution overall have a net positive or negative effect? I think all of these topics would make for interesting debates, and do not necessarily have a black and white answer to anyone that "properly" understands the historic method. Of course I'm guessing you're going to be the person who determines if one has a good grasp on it or not, eh? Anyway, I still vote No to the history forum. I encourage history debates though :)
President of DDO
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 9:37:08 PM
do support
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 9:38:39 PM
Most Historical Debates can be fit into one of the existing categories... And, we don't want to get into the trouble of creating TOO MANY categories...

Having said that, History seems like a reasonable thing to add
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 1:44:20 PM
At 10/11/2011 1:39:50 PM, Mikeee wrote:
Does DDO need a history category debate

http://www.debate.org...

We can reset that debate if you like. Maybe Rocky would take it more seriously.
Godsconservativegirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 2:23:09 PM
do
"John 3:16 For God so Loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth on him shall not perish, but shall have ever lasting life."

God'sconservativegirl :)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 3:00:58 PM
I answered this the first time you asked, and I'll say the same thing right now. It is not necessary. Every debate Danielle listed that could be in this history category fit just as well in other categories. "Was the U.S right in dropping the atomic bomb" this can range from politics to society to philosophy, or even science. And we have the fail safe, the miscellaneous category.

I find it silly to expend so much time and energy on such a menial addition to the site.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 3:08:36 PM
At 10/11/2011 3:00:58 PM, 000ike wrote:
I answered this the first time you asked, and I'll say the same thing right now. It is not necessary. Every debate Danielle listed that could be in this history category fit just as well in other categories. "Was the U.S right in dropping the atomic bomb" this can range from politics to society to philosophy, or even science. And we have the fail safe, the miscellaneous category.

I find it silly to expend so much time and energy on such a menial addition to the site.

If we where having a debate on weather it was good or bad historical, it would be a completely different story...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 3:11:58 PM
At 10/11/2011 3:08:36 PM, Mikeee wrote:
At 10/11/2011 3:00:58 PM, 000ike wrote:

If we were having a debate on weather it was good or bad historical, it would be a completely different story...

I'd be up for it, we have useless categories now, but honestly i have yet to find many people that are so interested in history as i am, and fewer who are able to sustain a serious discussion on it. JBlake was probably the most impressive history major guy that we ever had, and he always had a good spin on it.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 3:20:10 PM
At 10/11/2011 3:15:48 PM, Mikeee wrote:
What would it take to get DDO to add a history category?

More people to support it.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 3:22:40 PM
At 10/11/2011 3:20:10 PM, innomen wrote:

good luck with that. Everyone supported an ELO system but that never happened. In fact, nothing has changed except for the view of number of votes, since I joined 3 months ago.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 3:25:11 PM
At 10/11/2011 3:22:40 PM, 000ike wrote:

good luck with that. Everyone supported an ELO system but that never happened. In fact, nothing has changed except for the view of number of votes, since I joined 3 months ago.

Actually i think that messing around with the categories isn't as big a deal for Juggle as the ELO voting. They've done it before, there didn't used to be an economics category, or a philosophy category.
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 6:15:35 PM
At 10/11/2011 3:22:40 PM, 000ike wrote:

This site isn't super complex, it has a few basic links and templates. Adding/removing a category wouldn't even take one hour...
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 7:40:50 PM
We have a history forum. It is called, "Society."
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 7:58:20 PM
The fundamental problem with history is that nobody learns from it and it is rewritten about every 20 to 30 years. The history they taught me as a child has all but been erased from history books of today. I could no more pass a high school history test of today than a child of today could pass a history test I had when I was in high school. It would be like taking history tests of different countries.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Mikeee
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 8:56:28 PM
At 10/11/2011 7:58:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
The fundamental problem with history is that nobody learns from it and it is rewritten about every 20 to 30 years. The history they taught me as a child has all but been erased from history books of today. I could no more pass a high school history test of today than a child of today could pass a history test I had when I was in high school. It would be like taking history tests of different countries.

It's the same with science. Every so often new discoveries are made that change everything, and either builds on existing theories, or completely destroys them and they have to be re-written.