Jump to topic:

A site like DDO?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 6:59:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Before I stumbled upon DDO two months ago, I have never been on a site where I interacted with strangers and spent a lot of time doing so. There are many sites like myspace, yahoochat, youtube comments, various blogs etc that people spend time online on. For some reason, none of them have the same allure as DDO partly because of a lack of a competitive feature like debating.

Can anyone point out if there are other sites online that are similar to DDO where there is a competitive element as well as a lot of decent people and intelligent competition? It would be nice to check it out.
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 7:19:59 PM
At 10/7/2011 6:59:36 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Before I stumbled upon DDO two months ago, I have never been on a site where I interacted with strangers and spent a lot of time doing so. There are many sites like myspace, yahoochat, youtube comments, various blogs etc that people spend time online on. For some reason, none of them have the same allure as DDO partly because of a lack of a competitive feature like debating.

Can anyone point out if there are other sites online that are similar to DDO where there is a competitive element as well as a lot of decent people and intelligent competition? It would be nice to check it out.

Thinking of leaving?
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena
kohai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 7:21:14 PM
Onlinedebate.net
1) Whatever has contradictory attributes does not exist.
2) The Biblical God has contradictory attributes.
3) Therefore, the Biblical God does not exist
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 7:26:00 PM
At 10/7/2011 7:19:59 PM, blackhawk1331 wrote:
At 10/7/2011 6:59:36 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Thinking of leaving?

Why do you think I'd want to leave? I love this site. I want more like it.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 7:27:20 PM
At 10/7/2011 7:21:14 PM, kohai wrote:
Onlinedebate.net

Thanks, but it is too complicated. I just went to the homepage and I have no idea what it was supposed to be.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 7:29:26 PM
At 10/7/2011 7:27:20 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Onlinedebate.net

Thanks, but it is too complicated. I just went to the homepage and I have no idea what it was supposed to be.

I know right, that website looks very disorganized, although it does have a chatroom.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 7:41:53 PM
A chat room over here would be cool.

There is that site the ancaps ended up making or something. I don't know the address.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 8:00:21 PM
Onlinedebate.net

What is this, I don't even...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 11:25:54 PM
At 10/7/2011 7:41:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

There is that site the ancaps ended up making or something. I don't know the address.

debate homestead or something. It was horribly pathetic. Hear that sieben? PATHETIC.

Nope, nothing like DDO. I heard some people used yickyack, but its now controlled by a group of one ideology.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 11:30:59 PM
At 10/7/2011 11:25:54 PM, Rockylightning wrote:

debate homestead or something. It was horribly pathetic. Hear that sieben? PATHETIC.

Nope, nothing like DDO. I heard some people used yickyack, but its now controlled by a group of one ideology.

Just how many people here have a grudge against Sieben? His account is closed since before I joined but I read his debates a couple of days back, and they are absolutely hilarious.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 11:38:21 PM
At 10/7/2011 11:30:59 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Just how many people here have a grudge against Sieben? His account is closed since before I joined but I read his debates a couple of days back, and they are absolutely hilarious.

Most people. I personally don't have anything against him, even though he cussed me out one time cause I voted him down. I think his debating style is hilarious and his comment wars are the funnest thing to read on the whole site.

http://www.debate.org...

I lol'd so many times at his comment war. Just start from the first page and read from there. (Btw, this is imo the best debate on the site)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 11:42:41 PM
At 10/7/2011 11:38:21 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 10/7/2011 11:30:59 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

Most people. I personally don't have anything against him, even though he cussed me out one time cause I voted him down. I think his debating style is hilarious and his comment wars are the funnest thing to read on the whole site.

http://www.debate.org...

I lol'd so many times at his comment war. Just start from the first page and read from there. (Btw, this is imo the best debate on the site)

I agree there were downsides to his being on the site as well. I just read your debate on drug legalization in Freeman's tournament and he actually gave a good RFD while cussing and critisizing both members.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 11:47:24 PM
Eh, my formatting in that debate during rebuttals was terribad. Makes me cringe when I read it.

You're right though, you could at least tell he read the debate.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 11:58:36 PM
At 10/7/2011 11:47:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Eh, my formatting in that debate during rebuttals was terribad. Makes me cringe when I read it.

You're right though, you could at least tell he read the debate.

I thought it was pretty close. I was surprised at the huge difference in scores. I couldn't tell who won. But that was probably because I knew it was already in the post-voting period and I didn't read with the intention of evaluating a winner. Interesting point though that half of the drug users are underage.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:12:08 AM
Getting this back on topic, this is the site the AnCaps created that was supposed to be like this.

http://z13.invisionfree.com...

My suspicions and others' were correct that a site with such a small membership wouldn't sustain itself. The last post made was on September 14.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:18:12 AM
At 10/8/2011 1:12:08 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Getting this back on topic, this is the site the AnCaps created that was supposed to be like this.

http://z13.invisionfree.com...

My suspicions and others' were correct that a site with such a small membership wouldn't sustain itself. The last post made was on September 14.

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
you sack of sh!t, first off you are a liar because your link doesn't work. Looooooooseeeer

How dare you insult their site, you make no sense and you are dumb zzzzzZZZZZZ
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:27:31 AM
F-16 you are a retard. Why don't you stop making pathetic attempts at legitimate posting and just acknowledge your bottom-feeder troll status ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:32:21 AM
Blackvoid, you are a moron. Didn't you notice that the Ancap site is alive and working???? Who's making pathetic troll posts now??? AHAHAHAHA, got you there. ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:34:23 AM
Appeal to authority. You saying the damn site is working doesn't mean the damn site is working. Just face it troll, you're illiterate. Burn in hell LOLOLOL
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:39:38 AM
At 10/8/2011 1:34:23 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Appeal to authority. You saying the damn site is working doesn't mean the damn site is working. Just face it troll, you're illiterate. Burn in hell LOLOLOL

"When appeal to popularity works for you:"

I never tried to use it deductively. http://en.wikipedia.org......

"Because I know I have to slow down to retard level to get you to understand what things mean these quotes show that you are a hypocrite. Do you understand or should I start slurring to make my point more clear to you?"

Looooooooseeeer
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:41:26 AM
LOL just look at this little dipsh!t trying to make a coherent post. Its so cute.

I can appeal to authority all I damn want because I AM an authority. I'm the juggernaut, b!tch.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:42:32 AM
"It goes way beyond that. Not everything in life can be explained with logic. Some things you just know or you don't."

AAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So no matter how fu­cking stupid I make you look using logic, you have faith that you're right? ZZZZZZZzzzzzzz
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:45:42 AM
LOL you drop everything I say then you think you can try an insult me. Ok...

Btw, I don't need logic. Logic is for children. I'm WAY above your retarded conception of it.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:46:58 AM
You didn't realize that you'd have to debate in order to win debates? You're calling me a retard?

You sir, are a retard. Everyone else agrees with me except OreEle, who is the spokesmen for Retards Against Sieben. Why don't you and all the other Re Re's leave DDO and create your own Special Olympics style debate website?
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 1:47:52 AM
An entire page of members acting like Sieben is enough...(picks up books and flings it at Izbo10) Oh, never mind....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 3:20:26 AM
At 10/8/2011 1:46:58 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
You didn't realize that you'd have to debate in order to win debates? You're calling me a retard?

You sir, are a retard. Everyone else agrees with me except OreEle, who is the spokesmen for Retards Against Sieben. Why don't you and all the other Re Re's leave DDO and create your own Special Olympics style debate website?

Falcon, you sound familiar. Just like this moron I knew one time. Maybe it's just me.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 7:33:53 AM
I've never found one. The ones that are are mediocre forum boards with less intelligent members.

However, if you want a quick overview of various different debate subjects, you can look at the fairly good debatabase on this website: http://www.idebate.org...
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 1:18:18 AM
I'm posting here not because I can answer the question but that I want the question answered.

I can sometimes find sites that are particularly good for knowledge on particular subjects. I can then find those which offer competition (say, chess.com) and have intelligent conversation. I can then find those with everything listed so far.

What I can't find anywhere else is a site that does all of this on a diverse range of subjects.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it