Jump to topic:

Forfeits

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 10:26:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
60% of my debates have now ended with my opponent forfeiting. I am certainly partly to blame for this, as, among other reasons, I never check my opponent's debate history or investigate if they are more likely to forfeit, before accepting a debate challenge.

That being said, I was wondering if there has been any discussion regarding increasing the consequence of forfeits. Maybe preventing someone from accepting or challenging a debate for a week, or revoking their right to breed, would lower the chances of debates being forfeited. I don't think it's a big enough problem to implement those suggestions, I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Perhaps an additional 2 lines to the stats on the side of the profile would be helpful, one number for a debaters 'total rounds debated' and another for 'total rounds forfeited', i think this would be most helpful, and add some additional stats to be amused by.

Also, vote on this debate... http://www.debate.org...

Thanks in advance. Go Brewers.
Debate.org Moderator
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/8/2011 10:35:44 PM
At 10/8/2011 10:26:44 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
60% of my debates have now ended with my opponent forfeiting. I am certainly partly to blame for this, as, among other reasons, I never check my opponent's debate history or investigate if they are more likely to forfeit, before accepting a debate challenge.

That being said, I was wondering if there has been any discussion regarding increasing the consequence of forfeits. Maybe preventing someone from accepting or challenging a debate for a week, or revoking their right to breed, would lower the chances of debates being forfeited. I don't think it's a big enough problem to implement those suggestions, I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Perhaps an additional 2 lines to the stats on the side of the profile would be helpful, one number for a debaters 'total rounds debated' and another for 'total rounds forfeited', i think this would be most helpful, and add some additional stats to be amused by.

Also, vote on this debate... http://www.debate.org...

Thanks in advance. Go Brewers.

I agree with that part, but not the other part. People often can't help forfeiting.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 12:04:35 PM
People don't usually go into a debate saying "Yippee! Ima forfeit!". It usually happens because of too much work or issues outside of DDO (OMG! Outside of DDO? Impossible). Like the previous poster said, sometimes its not their fault. As a result, they shouldn't be punished.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 12:23:35 PM
Maybe preventing someone from accepting or challenging a debate for a week, or revoking their right to breed, would lower the chances of debates being forfeited. I don't think it's a big enough problem to implement those suggestions, I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

I think eugenics is probably a step too far lol.

Quite like this last idea as a way of shaming forfeiters.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 1:10:21 PM

I do like this idea. My only concern is having too many stats on the profile, but overall I think this would be a welcome addition. I know this has come up before, if we keep bringing it up and mostly agree I am sure someone will listen.
DanT
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2011 1:44:34 PM
At 10/9/2011 12:23:35 PM, feverish wrote:
Maybe preventing someone from accepting or challenging a debate for a week, or revoking their right to breed, would lower the chances of debates being forfeited. I don't think it's a big enough problem to implement those suggestions, I'm just curious if anyone has any thoughts.

I think eugenics is probably a step too far lol.

Either that or capital punishment....

Quite like this last idea as a way of shaming forfeiters.

Guess that works too.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle