Jump to topic:

Moral systems?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2011 4:49:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am not a philosophy major but discussions on moral systems seem to very popular at DDO. Can anyone explain what are the different moral system you use while debating, which are more advantageous than others, and what Deontological, Utilitarian, Consequentialist (and any others that I forgot) mean?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2011 4:55:03 PM
At 10/10/2011 4:49:22 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I am not a philosophy major but discussions on moral systems seem to very popular at DDO. Can anyone explain what are the different moral system you use while debating, which are more advantageous than others, and what Deontological, Utilitarian, Consequentialist (and any others that I forgot) mean?

should be in philosophy.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2011 4:56:05 PM
Deontology: The idea that everyone has a moral duty or ruleset to follow.

Utilitarianism: You should do whatever creates the greatest happiness for the greatest amount of people (related to consequentialism).

Consequentialism: The morality of an action can only be determined by the consequence of it.

Social Contact Theory: Whatever follows the social contract of a society is moral.

Sociobiological Theory: Whatever fits into societal norms/benefits humans' survival is moral.

Virtue Theory: Humans have a natural sense of virtue (relating to human flourishing and a sense of belonging). Thus, anything that follows this virtue is moral.

Moral nihiism: No objective moral truths exist.

Moral subjectivism: The moral value of something depends entirely on the observer.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/10/2011 4:58:06 PM
At 10/10/2011 4:49:22 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

This should probably be in the philosophy forum but it should be fine.

Utilitarianism say the correct actions is the one which produces the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Sometimes shortened as "net benefits". It would support killing 1 to save 5.

Deontology says that we cannot use anyone as a means to an end, and chiefly that the ends don't justify the means. It would not support killing 1 to save 5. Deo says we have to treat every human as intrinsically valuable and never undermine it under any circumstances.

It also concerns itself with the intent of an action. If I'm trying to kill the president but somehow end up saving his life, deontology would say I was still in the wrong even though the end result was good. Conversely, if I kill someone by complete accident, deo would say I shouldn't be punished because I wasn't intending harm.

Consequentialism says the correct action is the one which produces the best consequences. What the best consequence actually is is up for debate.