Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Improvement in debate?

socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 5:44:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How many people here have improved their debate skills from the time they joined to now? I'd like to think that I have, I went through my debates and recorded the win percentage according to month. So out of the five months that I have done debates under this account,

1st month on the site: 18-12
2nd month: 38-10
3rd month: 29-3
4th month: 4-7(mostly forfeits)
5th month(currently): 6-3

So how have people improved? Obviously one's winning percentage isn't reflective of their debating skill but I think it's a good general indicator.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 5:48:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think one's self review of their debating skills is best.

I'm not sure if my record shows it or not, but I believe that I've gotten a lot better at debating than when I started.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 5:56:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My winning % is consistent during my time here, but I feel like I've gotten much better since joining. Everyone else probably feels the same way.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 5:58:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My win percentage is decreasing but I believe I am improving as a debater. When I first joined, a few of my opponents forfeited giving me easy wins. My refusal to debate newbies anymore lowered that percentage.
Mestari
Posts: 4,656
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 6:07:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I feel that my lay-debate skills have improved.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 6:09:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/11/2011 6:07:37 PM, Mestari wrote:
I feel that my lay-debate skills have improved.

Yeah this is what I should have said.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/11/2011 6:14:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/11/2011 5:44:34 PM, socialpinko wrote:
How many people here have improved their debate skills from the time they joined to now? I'd like to think that I have, I went through my debates and recorded the win percentage according to month. So out of the five months that I have done debates under this account,

1st month on the site: 18-12
2nd month: 38-10
3rd month: 29-3
4th month: 4-7(mostly forfeits)
5th month(currently): 6-3

So how have people improved? Obviously one's winning percentage isn't reflective of their debating skill but I think it's a good general indicator.

I just went through and did my month by month record (that takes time with 20 months) and it looks like I'm my own exception to my own rule.

First 4 months, I was 22 - 2, last 4 months, I am 21 - 2.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:01:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I improved dramatically. I started off 1-3 (my one victory against a troll), since then I have gone 23-0. I don't go back to look at my first few debates, I was horrible. I think I always had the ability to make a good argument but didn't understand how debating works, I was used to bickering with idiots on youtube and yahoo answers. Reading and voting on many debates is what helped me more then anything. A good debate teaches you what to do, a bad one teaches you what not to do so you always gain something.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:03:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 12:01:09 AM, Double_R wrote:
I improved dramatically. I started off 1-3 (my one victory against a troll), since then I have gone 23-0. I don't go back to look at my first few debates, I was horrible. I think I always had the ability to make a good argument but didn't understand how debating works, I was used to bickering with idiots on youtube and yahoo answers. Reading and voting on many debates is what helped me more then anything. A good debate teaches you what to do, a bad one teaches you what not to do so you always gain something.

I read your debate with Sieben on 9/11 investigation. I was surprised that you did not address many of his arguments, whereas now you started a debate titled "All unadressed arguments should be counted as concessions." So, definitely an interesting change of opinion.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:03:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 12:01:09 AM, Double_R wrote:
I improved dramatically. I started off 1-3 (my one victory against a troll), since then I have gone 23-0. I don't go back to look at my first few debates, I was horrible. I think I always had the ability to make a good argument but didn't understand how debating works, I was used to bickering with idiots on youtube and yahoo answers. Reading and voting on many debates is what helped me more then anything. A good debate teaches you what to do, a bad one teaches you what not to do so you always gain something.

You weren't that bad initially imo. The three opponents you lost to were bluesteel, medic, and Sieben. Nothing to be ashamed of.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:15:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 12:13:03 AM, CiRrK wrote:
U still have yet to beat me pinko. :P God havent been on this site in awhile...

Are you back? You never explained why you left in the first place.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 12:31:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 12:03:52 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I read your debate with Sieben on 9/11 investigation. I was surprised that you did not address many of his arguments, whereas now you started a debate titled "All unadressed arguments should be counted as concessions." So, definitely an interesting change of opinion.

lol, I think that was the debate that taught me what debating was about. I was so mad when people voted against me I almost quit DDO. The guy claimed that Presidents should have no rights because they are all mass murderers, therefore we should interrogate Bush just because he was a President. Truly one of the stupidest arguments I ever heard, yet everyone gave him points for it because I did not address it. However I realized later on that I had a great chance to shut him down and didn't, so I deserved to lose.

BTW the debate I started was just a personal challenge to Izbo because of his idiocy in starting that thread yet refusing to defend his own position. Finally he accepted, and, well...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:07:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 12:13:03 AM, CiRrK wrote:
U still have yet to beat me pinko. :P God havent been on this site in awhile...

We should debate sometime.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:39:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
1st month 3-3
2nd month 10-1 (and one draw)
4th month 2-2
5th month 0-1
7th month 1-0

Quite interesting to see how little debating I've done except the 2nd month.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:05:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 9:39:44 AM, phantom wrote:
1st month 3-3
2nd month 10-1 (and one draw)
4th month 2-2
5th month 0-1
7th month 1-0


Quite interesting to see how little debating I've done except the 2nd month.

A lot of members are like that. They do a lot when they first start, then slow down a lot. You'll get your second wind.

I didn't get my second wind until my 11th month.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:51:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 11:05:19 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 10/12/2011 9:39:44 AM, phantom wrote:
1st month 3-3
2nd month 10-1 (and one draw)
4th month 2-2
5th month 0-1
7th month 1-0


Quite interesting to see how little debating I've done except the 2nd month.

A lot of members are like that. They do a lot when they first start, then slow down a lot. You'll get your second wind.

I didn't get my second wind until my 11th month.

Yeah. I've started 5 debates in the last two weeks though, so I think I'm getting going again.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
CiRrK
Posts: 670
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:37:39 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/12/2011 12:15:27 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 10/12/2011 12:13:03 AM, CiRrK wrote:
U still have yet to beat me pinko. :P God havent been on this site in awhile...

Are you back? You never explained why you left in the first place.

Possibly. Idk. xD
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:49:02 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Not sure exactly. I have won my last 10 debates.

However when I began I won my first four debates. Then I went on a losing streak.

SO I don't know whether my wins are based on luck or skill :p.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
jm_notguilty
Posts: 683
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 10:15:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've been here for 3 months and most of my wins resulted in forfeits, but my debating style, structure and arguments kinda improved whenever I debated with a serious opponent, noobsniping is frowned upon but can be fun and can be a good practice sometimes.