Jump to topic:

DDO Should Have Yearly Rankings

Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 3:41:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It just occurred to me that it might be better to have Rankings that reset each year, or only account for stats within the past 365 days.

Some advantages:
1) Would exclude inactive members.
2) Would exclude early losses- only accounts for recent performance.
3) Ranking would be more dynamic- fewer debates accounted for in the rankings means each win/loss counts for more.

It makes sense to me that there be "seasons" on the site rather than an aggregate of past performance.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 3:44:29 PM
I would certainly support some kind of system that tracks who are the current top debaters such as this one. I think it is always important to consider the history and who are the top DDO debaters of all time, but I don't think people are all to interested in comparing current debaters to ones that have been long gone.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 3:59:01 PM
I second that notion.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:42:56 PM
I agree.

Although I don't think it should replace the current leader board if that's what you're saying.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:51:15 PM
At 10/12/2011 6:42:56 PM, phantom wrote:
I agree.

Although I don't think it should replace the current leader board if that's what you're saying.

Well, the current leaderboard doesn't need to go altogether, but it does need to take the back seat to this idea. A website truly feels dead when 3/4 of the top 100 people long since left. An easier opportunity for recognition creates debate initiative, and a semblance of liveliness knowing that we aren't lost in stagnancy.

We should put a top 10 list that changes every week on the home page.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 8:58:03 PM
At 10/12/2011 6:51:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
I agree.

Well, the current leaderboard doesn't need to go altogether, but it does need to take the back seat to this idea. A website truly feels dead when 3/4 of the top 100 people long since left. An easier opportunity for recognition creates debate initiative, and a semblance of liveliness knowing that we aren't lost in stagnancy.

I fully agree.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:24:15 PM
At 10/12/2011 6:51:15 PM, 000ike wrote:
I agree.

I secondth this motion.
Anyone else, say "I"
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 9:57:06 PM
Yes yearly rankings. Of course you would keep the results of previous years, but the current leader board would be based on debates only in that year.

Is anyone seriously gong to disagree with this ? :)
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 10:06:01 PM
I would like a monthly award for most debate wins or something. A year is too long since the retention rate on this site is sadly low.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 10:26:14 PM
I tried to give awards, but it has been taken down. I wish they would have let them stay up, the people who won them worked hard to get them.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:04:06 PM
At 10/12/2011 10:26:14 PM, izbo10 wrote:
I tried to give awards, but it has been taken down. I wish they would have let them stay up, the people who won them worked hard to get them.

wait..what? Please someone tell me more!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:07:56 PM
At 10/12/2011 11:04:06 PM, thett3 wrote:

Well reformed arsenal won most intellectually dishonest.

Cerebral won stupidest.

Man is good won stupidest childs division

Innomen won the award for most delusional

Man is good won most annoying

man is good and cerebral tied for most useless members.

They were highly contested and many members were definitely useless.
These guys really made the extra effort at not being able to comprehend anything.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:09:57 PM
At 10/12/2011 11:07:56 PM, izbo10 wrote:

Cerebral won stupidest.

These guys really made the extra effort at not being able to comprehend anything.

I didnt win anything? :(
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:13:26 PM
At 10/12/2011 11:09:57 PM, thett3 wrote:

Cerebral won stupidest.

I didnt win anything? :(

No, sorry maybe next year you need to make comments like why is murder wrong?

You need to really give extra effort to make stupid arguments. I mean cerebral even ask why should we value life at one point. Today was the best he didn't even grasp which premise he was attacking in an argument with me.

Oh I forgot one Medic won a close one on christian with the worst arguments. It was definitely out there for Gileandos he must be the favorite for that one next year.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:14:18 PM

Cerebral won stupidest.

Izbo10's funniest moment....

All those months of trolling with Izbo10 have paid off....with three awards,and one very bitter DDO member...
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:16:49 PM
At 10/12/2011 11:14:18 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Cerebral won stupidest.

All those months of trolling with Izbo10 have paid off....with three awards,and one very bitter DDO member...

I wouldn't get too cocky I may say cerebral is the favorite next time as he has been coming on very strong, you got the award for longevity as cerebral and me have not been going at it as long. Next year you might not get second JustCallMeTarzan is showing a lot of promise for next year.

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 11:18:24 PM
At 10/12/2011 11:16:49 PM, izbo10 wrote:
At 10/12/2011 11:14:18 PM, Man-is-good wrote:

Cerebral won stupidest.

I wouldn't get too cocky I may say cerebral is the favorite next time as he has been coming on very strong, you got the award for longevity as cerebral and me have not been going at it as long. Next year you might not get second JustCallMeTarzan is showing a lot of promise for next year.

You're right, Izbo10....Your pride is rubbing off your suit. Make sure you don't get it in with your health insurance sells, Izzy....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 12:13:58 AM

Cerebral won stupidest.

Ohh, Ohh, what about me? Did I win an award???
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 2:15:54 AM

He gave stupidity awards to the people that tried to teach him basic concepts like 'objectivity'. Yea I know.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 8:56:43 AM
At 10/13/2011 2:15:54 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

He gave stupidity awards to the people that tried to teach him basic concepts like 'objectivity'. Yea I know.

For people that don't know what objectivity is to try to teach objectivity is pathetic and then to say the premise about morality is the one you are contesting and then talk about how I need to define objectivity when that was premise 3 shows a complete mental retardation on your part. You deserved the award.