Jump to topic:

Pre-Screening for Debates

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:50:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The amount of crap debates that I find everyday on the "Challenge Period" is too many to count. How can anybody debate "history is an important subject to study"? I believe that a couple members on this website should volunteer and pre-screen every debate for:
1. content
2. subject
3. s&g

1 and 2 would get the debate sent back. However, 3 could be corrected by the checker.

In case people actually take this idea seriously, I'd be more than happy to volunteer.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:52:24 PM
Who are you to decide what is a "crap debate" and what is not?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:54:10 PM
So you would rather have a multitude of useless debates?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:56:09 PM
At 10/12/2011 6:50:37 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
The amount of crap debates that I find everyday on the "Challenge Period" is too many to count.
Determining what constitutes as a "crap debate" is quite subjective. Moreover, how can you tell they are so if the debate has not even started, or the arguments presented?

How can anybody debate "history is an important subject to study"? I believe that a couple members on this website should volunteer and pre-screen every debate for:
1. content
2. subject
3. s&g
1 and 2 would get the debate sent back.
I'm not sure that debates can be sent back merely for the lack of quality...Usually, objectionable aspects tend to make the mods close the debate...
However, 3 could be corrected by the checker.

In case people actually take this idea seriously, I'd be more than happy to volunteer.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:57:12 PM
At 10/12/2011 6:54:10 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Yes. The website is first and foremost, I assume, a place to have fun. Let people have fun discussing whatever topic they see fit.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 6:59:11 PM
Some "useless" debates can help beginner members who have recently joined the site improve themselves, especially if they debate an experienced member, learn how the site works, and so on....
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 7:02:48 PM
At 10/12/2011 6:59:11 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Some "useless" debates can help beginner members who have recently joined the site improve themselves, especially if they debate an experienced member, learn how the site works, and so on....

Debates should be at least mildly intellectually stimulating. You can learn how the site works in the forums. It is very simple. You will not improve your debating skills (which is what this website is about) by going CON on "Countries can only be a superpower once".
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 7:05:56 PM

The uselessness of a debate is dictated by the participants not the topic. Two intelligent and willing individuals can make an interesting debate about anything. I read one thought provoking debate about which way the toilet paper should face.

The only thing you can really argue is whether all members should be allowed to debate, but that is an entirely different proposal.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 7:07:39 PM
At 10/12/2011 7:02:48 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Debates should be at least mildly intellectually stimulating. You can learn how the site works in the forums. It is very simple. You will not improve your debating skills (which is what this website is about) by going CON on "Countries can only be a superpower once".

You ignored what I said. The website is not some elitist congregation of stern faced individuals to discuss serious and weighted issues. It is to have fun, and enjoy talking about things that of interest to us.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 7:28:35 PM
At 10/12/2011 7:07:39 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 10/12/2011 7:02:48 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

You ignored what I said. The website is not some elitist congregation of stern faced individuals to discuss serious and weighted issues. It is to have fun, and enjoy talking about things that of interest to us.

Yes, but that doesn't mean that we should not put some seriousness in our debates. People generally debate about topics that effect society not about some petty Yo Mama Jokes.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 8:54:27 PM
1. Too big a job.
2. Why would you not let someone debate something if they wanted to debate it?
3. Who decides if the debates get deleted or not, and how do you decide? You said you'd volunteer but I highly doubt juggle would let you run the debate section.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2011 8:55:04 PM
At 10/12/2011 8:54:27 PM, phantom wrote:
1. Too big a job.
2. Why would you not let someone debate something if they wanted to debate it?
3. Who decides if the debates get deleted or not, and how do you decide? You said you'd volunteer but I highly doubt juggle would let you run the debate section.
4. Everyone thinks your idea is crap. :p
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)