Total Posts:13|Showing Posts:1-13
Jump to topic:

How long

Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 3:37:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It depends on the person. If you want short time debates, just instigate your own and make shorter posting time. I often wish to have shorter debates, like 1 hour per round, but it tends to be stressful. I think 24 hours is decent.
Diagoras
Posts: 187
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 3:40:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/13/2011 3:37:51 PM, Mirza wrote:
It depends on the person. If you want short time debates, just instigate your own and make shorter posting time. I often wish to have shorter debates, like 1 hour per round, but it tends to be stressful. I think 24 hours is decent.

I must have missed that when I made my debates. Is there any way to go back and change it?
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 3:41:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/13/2011 3:40:21 PM, Diagoras wrote:
At 10/13/2011 3:37:51 PM, Mirza wrote:
It depends on the person. If you want short time debates, just instigate your own and make shorter posting time. I often wish to have shorter debates, like 1 hour per round, but it tends to be stressful. I think 24 hours is decent.

I must have missed that when I made my debates. Is there any way to go back and change it?
No. Just remember for the next time.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 3:51:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Some people post really fast and within the first day. Some take all 3 days. I don't know many people who post inbetween.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 7:12:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm pretty much a last minute person so I kind of wait unfortunately.
I can't motivate myself to post an argument within a day if it's a serious debate.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 9:59:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I tend to always read my opponent's argument within a day of them posting. However, I generally wait toward the end of my time to post. I feel the need to read over my opponent's argument 3, coming back after a couple hours to a day between each reading before posting.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 10:40:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/13/2011 9:59:56 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
I tend to always read my opponent's argument within a day of them posting.

This as well. I always read my opponents argument right away.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 11:00:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/13/2011 3:32:58 PM, Diagoras wrote:
how long does it normally take for people to post their arguments for a debate? All this waiting is getting boring.

Usually, if someone doesn't post their argument asap, it's going to take almost all 72 hours for them to do it. I tend to start working on my arguments when I only have a few hours left, and submit them when I have a few minutes left. I once submitted an argument when I had only two seconds left on the clock, but I don't think that happens often.
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2011 11:11:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/13/2011 11:00:53 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:

I once submitted an argument when I had only two seconds left on the clock, but I don't think that happens often.

Wow that's close! I had a really close one too. In one of my first debates on this site I was two doors down from my house. I went online and checked to see how much time I had to post my argument for the two debates I was in. I had checked the night before and thought I probably had about 12 hours left, but I only had 12 minutes! The worst thing was it was TWO debates that I needed to post at about the same time, and I was writing the debates on Microsoft word and wasn't at my house so I couldn't access my argument from there. I had to run home as fast as I could, turn on my computer, start up word and firefox, log in, quickly go over my debate and post it. I had less then a minute left for one of the debates and ended up forfeiting the other.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 1:18:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Tip:
Make the posting time 3 mins
Type up your argument before the debate
Stay online when they accept (perhaps they will forfeit the first round)
Post your argument
?????
Profit

However, it won't work on everybody because some people actually pay attention to the posting times.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/14/2011 5:38:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I usually take overnight to post. It gives time to think over the arguments and make revisions. There are some exceptions, as when an opponent forfeits or makes a lame argument.

Still, something can always come up that makes a short response impossible. It's good to have three days even if the plan is to use only one.