Jump to topic:

Proposal for an extra half-round conclusion

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 8:33:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is interesting how many debaters say that the last round is for "closing" when in reality, it is just a normal round like any other. I think a better idea would be to let the instigator set the number of characters per round instead of just being able to set the number of characters for all rounds.

For instance, it would be cool if they can set:
Round 1: 1000 characters - Acceptance and definitions
Rounds 2-4 - 8000 char debate
Round 5: 750 characters - closing only

This will take away considerably from the power of the last word, as both sides can give a real closing and the voters don't have the contender's 8000 character final round sticking in their mind when they are voting.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 8:48:54 PM
Good idea
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:12:31 PM
This is how rounds are in most forms of competitive debate. The last rounds are shorter to force meta-analysis and analysis of the debate as a whole.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 11:34:59 PM
For now I guess, we can always make a debate and put as a rule last round is a closing round no more than 1000 characters allowed in the final round or something like that ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 12:09:44 AM
At 10/15/2011 11:34:59 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
For now I guess, we can always make a debate and put as a rule last round is a closing round no more than 1000 characters allowed in the final round or something like that ?

Quoted 4 truth.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:15:29 PM
At 10/15/2011 8:33:04 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
It is interesting how many debaters say that the last round is for "closing" when in reality, it is just a normal round like any other. I think a better idea would be to let the instigator set the number of characters per round instead of just being able to set the number of characters for all rounds.

For instance, it would be cool if they can set:
Round 1: 1000 characters - Acceptance and definitions
Rounds 2-4 - 8000 char debate
Round 5: 750 characters - closing only

This will take away considerably from the power of the last word, as both sides can give a real closing and the voters don't have the contender's 8000 character final round sticking in their mind when they are voting.

I definitely agree.

Although I would probably have it more like 1 or 2k for the last round.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 1:50:12 PM
It is nice to see that a lot of people actually agree with this. Next time I instigate a debate, I am going to put a 1000 character max for the last round. The question now is: Is it better to extend the debate to five rounds in order to do this or just make the fourth round a closing round, effectively losing a debate round.

The five-round seems better but sometimes I run away when I see a five-round debate and don't even start reading because I know it is going to be long. How many of you are turned off by five-round debates?
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 7:15:28 PM
At 10/16/2011 1:50:12 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
It is nice to see that a lot of people actually agree with this. Next time I instigate a debate, I am going to put a 1000 character max for the last round. The question now is: Is it better to extend the debate to five rounds in order to do this or just make the fourth round a closing round, effectively losing a debate round.

The five-round seems better but sometimes I run away when I see a five-round debate and don't even start reading because I know it is going to be long. How many of you are turned off by five-round debates?

If you are running away from 5-round debates, I'm afraid to see what other people would do. But I feel 2 rounds of debate is not enough.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 8:13:01 PM

I would make it five rounds.
I think I might do this as well.
I also assume the rules would be no new arguments in the fourth as well as fifth round?

Kinda. It is just 1k extra worth of characters though.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2011 8:17:41 PM
At 10/16/2011 8:13:01 PM, phantom wrote:

I would make it five rounds.
I think I might do this as well.

I also assume the rules would be no new arguments in the fourth as well as fifth round?

Yes, that is how I would do it.

Kinda. It is just 1k extra worth of characters though.

I think the key is to make it very clear to the voters at the beginning that it is not a full 5 round debate but the fifth round is only for closing.
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2011 1:55:53 AM

I don't usually notice how many rounds there are. What I do notice is how small the scroll bar is. When it's very small I check to see what time it is and think twice.