Jump to topic:

Debate Setting Enhancements Update 10-19-2011

JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 10:42:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Today we have released an update that includes two adjustments/enhancements to debate settings. These enhancements were a direct result of feedback gathered from the community which was then delivered to us for development.

When setting up a debate you will now see the following options:

Voting Period Adjustments – We have removed the unlimited and 12 month voting periods to encourage faster resolution to debates. The current options now range from 1 day to 6 months.

Debate Restrictions – We have added the ability to select restrictions based on your opponent's number of completed debates. This will provide members the ability to specify the type of member they would like to debate in terms of debate experience.

If you uncover any bugs/issues with this specific release, please feel free to let us know in this thread.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 10:48:48 AM
Awesome, I love it! This way you can choose to debate only experienced members if you want. I don't see how the voting period change helps though since it only gives us less options not more.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:03:25 PM
The only problem I forsee here is that if everybody asks that the Contender have debating experience, those with no debating experience will never get any debating experience.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2011 9:05:50 PM
http://myfacewhen.com...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2011 12:21:03 AM
At 10/19/2011 9:03:25 PM, mongeese wrote:
The only problem I forsee here is that if everybody asks that the Contender have debating experience, those with no debating experience will never get any debating experience.

Unless they start debates...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2011 12:00:30 AM
At 10/20/2011 3:50:25 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Request: the ability to put digital wallpaper in the background of your profile, like you can on youtube accounts.

This would be amazing. There'd be some real variety in profile pages.
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 3:38:11 AM
At 10/20/2011 3:50:25 PM, Kinesis wrote:
Request: the ability to put digital wallpaper in the background of your profile, like you can on youtube accounts.

+1
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 6:14:12 PM
I just started a new debate, and there doesn't seem to be any versatility regarding the number of completed debates. If I want to debate someone who has done at least 10 debates, I don't have that option. Shouldn't there be a max/min like there is for age?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 12:18:19 PM
I never liked this update, since I enjoyed unlimited voting periods, but even worse, 3 days is now the default option and almost all the new users seem to be using 3 day voting periods. That's way to short. At least change the default to 1 month so many voters have a chance to vote.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 1:14:10 PM
Definite improvements. Good work.

The default voting period should be a month or two. I didn't see anyone comment in the forums that it should be only three days.

I doubt that experience requirements will inhibit new debaters. Few people will want to start by diving into the deep end of the pool.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 2:07:35 AM
One thing that could be useful to encourage debating would be to say, having to make one debate before being able to post in the forums after having written maybe 20 posts. So, every 20th or 50th (whatever people decide) forum post, one would have to do one debate to be able to post more.

To discourage profanity, one should be restricted to being able to write about 10 posts a day for maybe 3 days after writing curse words, such as the f-word (even in a censored form). This makes our site more professional.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:38:36 PM
I just got votebombed by a guy, bozotheclown, whose account has been closed. I recall that there used to be a system to automatically remove the votes of closed accounts, but this system no longer seems to be active. Can we get it restarted?
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:53:45 PM
At 11/8/2011 2:07:35 AM, Mirza wrote:
One thing that could be useful to encourage debating would be to say, having to make one debate before being able to post in the forums after having written maybe 20 posts. So, every 20th or 50th (whatever people decide) forum post, one would have to do one debate to be able to post more.

To discourage profanity, one should be restricted to being able to write about 10 posts a day for maybe 3 days after writing curse words, such as the f-word (even in a censored form). This makes our site more professional.

You have 9000 posts and 50 debates. You would have been cut off at 2500 posts.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 6:18:54 PM
At 11/9/2011 3:38:36 PM, mongeese wrote:
I just got votebombed by a guy, bozotheclown, whose account has been closed. I recall that there used to be a system to automatically remove the votes of closed accounts, but this system no longer seems to be active. Can we get it restarted?

If so, it should only be on accounts that are closed by the staff (banned people), rather than no longer active (closed by the member).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 10:05:15 PM
At 11/9/2011 6:18:54 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:38:36 PM, mongeese wrote:

If so, it should only be on accounts that are closed by the staff (banned people), rather than no longer active (closed by the member).

Those that are no longer active aren't even said to be closed.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 1:01:01 AM

Interesting idea, though it essentially punishes those who are not frequent debaters. Posting, chatting, reading, and voting are also methods of participation on this site.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 1:03:37 AM

It unfairly discriminates against mafia players.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 1:36:39 AM
At 11/9/2011 3:53:45 PM, bluesteel wrote:

You have 9000 posts and 50 debates. You would have been cut off at 2500 posts.
And what is your point?

At 11/10/2011 1:01:01 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Interesting idea, though it essentially punishes those who are not frequent debaters. Posting, chatting, reading, and voting are also methods of participation on this site.
I agree, hence I don't necessarily think we should implement this rule before actually discussing it thoroughly. However, it would cut off rubbish circular discussions on the forums, as well as limit trolling. And eventually, one who contributes to the site by not trolling and by having a number of quality debates could be exempt from the rule.

At 11/10/2011 1:03:37 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

It unfairly discriminates against mafia players.
Mafia games are technically not a fundamental part of Debate.org, but the "Games" forum could be an exception to post limit.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 5:43:18 PM
Was the point of this to stop people from debating in the forums and "take it outside," so to speak? My point Mirza was merely that your own rule, applied to you, is obviously overly restrictive. People should be allowed to use the site as they like. We should create incentives, however, to debate on the actual site, rather than in the forums.

Personally, I think we'd accomplish this if we could reform the "quoting" system. It needs tons of reform. If we could, then we could shorten the character count for the forums (and quoting would be different, so it wouldn't count against you).

I mean, 8,000 characters per forum post is just ridiculous. And the current way quoting is done on this sites makes most forum discussion unreadable, in my opinion. A whole page might have 4 actual lines of new text and then all the rest is just quotes.

If people couldn't post 8000 character posts in the forums, most of them would want to take it to a more convenient venue, rather than splitting their argument into 8 different parts. And everyone else who isn't following those two users' argument will be appreciative.

goodbye charleslb... we'll miss your re-posted blog posts...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 5:49:32 PM
charles already splits his posts into many posts, so a smaller character limit wouldn't stop him at all. It would just make responding more difficult.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/19/2011 5:55:52 PM
At 11/19/2011 5:49:32 PM, mongeese wrote:
charles already splits his posts into many posts, so a smaller character limit wouldn't stop him at all. It would just make responding more difficult.

It would still thrill me to know that he had to split it into like 10 different parts.

Regardless, we can ban double posting in threads too. Actually, I do that all the time so no.

BUT, it would make it harder to respond if the quoted text didn't count toward the limit. And it would mean that people would ONLY quote like the 1/10th they wanted to respond to. Now I literally see people quote 7000 characters just to put a ONE LINE response somewhere in the middle.

If I do that, I'm always courteous enough to delete the parts that i'm NOT responding to.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 9:14:30 PM
Could we raise the voting limit minimum to a week? with this three day minimum a lot of debates are not being accepted because of their short voting length, and those that do sometimes do not even receive any votes since they are only available for 3 days....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/20/2011 9:17:14 PM
At 11/20/2011 9:14:30 PM, imabench wrote:
Could we raise the voting limit minimum to a week? with this three day minimum a lot of debates are not being accepted because of their short voting length, and those that do sometimes do not even receive any votes since they are only available for 3 days....

^^^this

I liked unlimited, but if i can't have that, there doesn't need to be a 3 day option. That just ensures that if you get vote bombed, you don't have enough time to counter it. the problem is also the default is 3 days, when it should be 30 days.