Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Debates you are proud of?

socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 7:59:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Post debates here that you're particularly proud of.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:04:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I wouldn't mind posting my losses but if I post my wins, my opponents may be offended. There aren't really that many losses that I am particularly proud of, so I really can't think of what exactly I would post here.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:04:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Physician-Assisted Suicide: http://www.debate.org...

Bioshock's worth: http://www.debate.org...

The Death Penalty: http://www.debate.org...
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:07:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
None of them really. All my debates are pretty sloppy. I'm not used to debating in a formal setting.

Probably my first one on the historicity of the resurrection of Jesus.

It was mostly satisfying because I was familiar with the subject, and I was expecting to lose due to concerns that DDO had a high concentration of those of a Christian bias, but I ended up winning. Got more votes than Bible Defender, who up until that point had no losses.

I still don't really take the debate system that seriously though, because I'm not entirely convinced that people read them, and I don't find it to be a particularly effective means of communicating with another person about an issue.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:11:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Anarchism
http://www.debate.org...

Abortion
http://www.debate.org...
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:24:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/23/2011 8:04:13 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I wouldn't mind posting my losses but if I post my wins, my opponents may be offended.

Wouldn't you be proudest of your debates against worthy opponents?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 8:26:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/23/2011 8:24:53 PM, mongeese wrote:
At 10/23/2011 8:04:13 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I wouldn't mind posting my losses but if I post my wins, my opponents may be offended.

Wouldn't you be proudest of your debates against worthy opponents?

Well, if someone else beats me in a debate and posts it up here, I would of course not be offended. However, everyone is different and some may in fact be offended that I am posting my victory over them in a forum thread.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 9:46:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Curiously, two are against mongeese.

Murder is, in general, just.
http://www.debate.org...

Libertarian free will is false.
http://www.debate.org...

The United States should abolish the death penalty.
http://www.debate.org...
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 10:24:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well, aside from the ones wjmelements posted, I guess I have these:

Ultimate Team War - High Altitude (vs. Maikuru, winning)
http://www.debate.org...

The Death Penalty should be legal in the United States (CON, vs. RoyLatham, lost)
http://www.debate.org...

If Texas, as a majority, were to threaten to secede from the Union if its demands were not met, basic freedom would, on balance, be violated more than granted. (CON, vs. Volkov, losing, though notably vote-bombed)
http://www.debate.org...

Definitions posted by the Instigator in Round 1 should be treated more like rules than contentions. (PRO, vs. TheSkeptic, losing, though notably vote-bombed)
http://www.debate.org...

Discrimination is unjust (PRO, vs. Brock_Meyer, losing, thought notably vote-bombed)
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 11:03:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Debate with HPG on whether 2+2=4 or not.
http://www.debate.org...
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2011 11:56:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This one was always one of my favorites:
http://www.debate.org...

Although I don't think my opponent made the strongest argument, its pretty cool to say that I demolished a law student in a debate about a murder trial.
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 2:14:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Survival after Nuclear Holocaust: http://www.debate.org...
- One of my firsts, and has been mentioned by others in "good debate" threads.

Zombie Killing: http://www.debate.org...
- Fun and short debate that I enjoyed researching.

Obama Debate: http://www.debate.org...
- Not very good, but it's pretty funny because the only reason I have so many votes is because the instigator gave Phil a weak excuse to ban Vi_Veri. I wish I had saved all the comments that got deleted.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 2:45:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This was one of my best because of my particular angle. I really don't think i should have lost, but the topic was an uphill battle. The subject was objective beauty and i felt i did a pretty fair job proving it.

http://www.debate.org...
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 4:15:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
My first debate, vs Maikuru. Still gets voted on now and again: http://www.debate.org...

Pokemon battle against Korashk: http://www.debate.org...

Team war vs mongeese: http://www.debate.org...

Problem of animal suffering vs KRF: http://www.debate.org...

AV should be adopted in the UK: http://www.debate.org...

Naruto vs Bleach with Ore_Ele: http://www.debate.org...
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 4:46:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/23/2011 9:46:20 PM, wjmelements wrote:
Curiously, two are against mongeese.

Murder is, in general, just.
http://www.debate.org...

Libertarian free will is false.
http://www.debate.org...

The United States should abolish the death penalty.
http://www.debate.org...

That was a good debate! Other than that I'm proud of this one

Drug legalization:

http://www.debate.org...

My Opponent ran some really cool arguments, and it was much much MUCH closer than the voting implies.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 4:54:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/24/2011 4:15:40 AM, Kinesis wrote:
My first debate, vs Maikuru. Still gets voted on now and again: http://www.debate.org...

Pokemon battle against Korashk: http://www.debate.org...

Team war vs mongeese: http://www.debate.org...

Problem of animal suffering vs KRF: http://www.debate.org...

AV should be adopted in the UK: http://www.debate.org...

Naruto vs Bleach with Ore_Ele: http://www.debate.org...

I liked that debate too. Though I'll admit, about half-way through, I had already realized that Naruto was better by any somewhat objectionable standard, and only continued for the shear challenge.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 5:04:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
On all my debates except one, there was a clear winner. Everybody who voted either gave points to me or my opponent. This was the only case in which voters were split on who to give the points to. It was my closest ever debate and the only one which I feel there was no clear winner.

http://www.debate.org...

It was also a great learning experience as it involved intensive research on the military.

My opponent: Blackvoid.

Topic: Whether serving in the military does more harm than good to the individual
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/24/2011 5:24:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Was Lincoln Oppressive to the North (Pro; 31:0): http://www.debate.org...

Fox News is the most bias new network (Con; 40:13): http://www.debate.org...

An IQ Debate (Con; 8:0): http://www.debate.org...

RE:RE Agriculture was mankind's biggest mistake(Con; 8:1): http://www.debate.org...

Global Warming Exists (Con; 14:7): http://www.debate.org...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Johnicle
Posts: 888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/25/2011 1:41:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Nuke the world! I think I could do a lot better job of this debate now but it was extremely enjoyable to go against something that seems so natural to accept.

http://www.debate.org...