Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

Debate Tropes

Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:10:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You know there are plenty of them. In a way, all logical fallacies are tropes. But what about the informal ones that repeat themselves all the time?

I have a couple off the top of my head that spawned this idea:

A. In one thread, a member has decided to open the thread as a "professor" in order to educate people. I found it to be very condescending, and I remember that it's not something new. A lot of threads have started with pompous OPs pretending to be a lecturer.

B. In the middle of a discussion, one member told another "I'll give you another chance to catch your own mistake". Not exactly productive, but its a maneuver I've seen used several times.

C. "You WILL not convince me! I WILL NOT be swayed! NOTHING can shake my resolve!"

D. "You have absolutely no understanding of X". "That's because you're have absolutely no idea what Y is all about". "You really need to learn your Z".

E. "Read the Bible". "Look it up". (Insert Link).

I'd like to start collecting these tropes and giving them names the way they do for TV tropes

http://tvtropes.org...

Anyone have ideas?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:13:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
massive argument, vacuous content.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 9:31:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:13:59 PM, 000ike wrote:
massive argument, vacuous content.

HAHA, excellent one! Please please tell me you have an example in mind :P
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:00:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Obvious Invisible Evidence:
"The evidence of the dreadful consequences of deregulation are all around you, but you merely fall back on pinning it all on government to the total absolution of the Wall Street elite."
Claiming that evidence exists everywhere, yet neglecting to explain the evidence at all.
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:11:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I love it! You have a knack for names. Wanna name the ones we have now?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:23:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 9:10:58 PM, Kleptin wrote:
A. In one thread, a member has decided to open the thread as a "professor" in order to educate people. I found it to be very condescending, and I remember that it's not something new. A lot of threads have started with pompous OPs pretending to be a lecturer.

Self-Appointed Professor

B. In the middle of a discussion, one member told another "I'll give you another chance to catch your own mistake". Not exactly productive, but its a maneuver I've seen used several times.

Wow, I'm having a hard time with a name for this one? Mercy Jerk? I really don't know.

C. "You WILL not convince me! I WILL NOT be swayed! NOTHING can shake my resolve!"

Ironclad Idiot

D. "You have absolutely no understanding of X". "That's because you're have absolutely no idea what Y is all about". "You really need to learn your Z".

All Opposition are Idiots

E. "Read the Bible". "Look it up". (Insert Link).

Disprove Yourself for Me
Kleptin
Posts: 5,095
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:28:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
LOL these are hilarious! We need more!
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:34:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You or Me, Therefore Me:
"Once again, Con is trying to manipulate definitions -- he notes that Dictionary.com's definition of omnipotent is regarded as very great power, when in fact I have pointed out in R1 that Dictionary.com's definition reads having very great or UNLIMITED (a.k.a. ALL) authority or power [1]. This is not debatable -- a quick look at the source will reveal which one of us is being truthful and which one of us is omitting relevant information to further their position. My definition is correct, stands, and is solely instrumental in negating the resolution even without considering my other arguments." (Italics added)
Claiming that your proposition is possible as is your opponent's, then completely disregarding the possibility that your opponent may be right.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:46:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/27/2011 10:23:19 PM, mongeese wrote:
B. In the middle of a discussion, one member told another "I'll give you another chance to catch your own mistake". Not exactly productive, but its a maneuver I've seen used several times.

Wow, I'm having a hard time with a name for this one? Mercy Jerk? I really don't know.

I'm thinking "Merciful" Critic
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 10:57:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Partisan Bigot - A person that will defend his/her political party to the death and sees the other party as evil and/or stupid and fails to see any faults of their own party

Shotgun unsubstantiation - Occurs in which many unsubstantiated claims are made at once.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/27/2011 11:20:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Popularity pundit
Someone who supports generally popular positions regardless of their intellectual hallowness while also disregarding any position not in the mainstream as "utopian", "impractical", or "unrealistic".
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
mongoose
Posts: 3,500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 12:17:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hipster - somebody who takes unpopular positions for the purpose of being provocative.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 12:26:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/28/2011 12:17:51 AM, mongoose wrote:
Hipster - somebody who takes unpopular positions for the purpose of being provocative.

Fvck you lol.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 12:33:15 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Mr. Policy: Someone who runs outrageous, ridiculous arguments for perfectly normal topics. Not necessarily a negative term.

Obsessed Donkey: Someone who makes over 10 debates to rant about how agriculture was the worst thing ever to happen to mankind.

Forfeit Phony: Someone who explicitly promises in the comments that they won't forfeit , yet forfeit anyways.

Obsolete dingbat: Someone who makes 100 forum posts to drive home the point that DDO needs a history category.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 12:34:30 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Idiotic Troll: Someone who makes a 100 comments about the debate in the comments section yet barely posts anything of susbstance at all in the actual debate.
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 12:36:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/28/2011 12:17:51 AM, mongoose wrote:
Hipster - somebody who takes unpopular positions for the purpose of being provocative.

This makes me want to say a few names so bad.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/28/2011 12:38:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 10/28/2011 12:33:15 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Mr. Policy: Someone who runs outrageous, ridiculous arguments for perfectly normal topics. Not necessarily a negative term.

Obsessed Donkey: Someone who makes over 10 debates to rant about how agriculture was the worst thing ever to happen to mankind.

Forfeit Phony: Someone who explicitly promises in the comments that they won't forfeit , yet forfeit anyways.

Obsolete dingbat: Someone who makes 100 forum posts to drive home the point that DDO needs a history category.

*Looks at Thett*
Chrysippus
Posts: 2,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 8:31:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh look, shiny!
Rabbit trails that fail to be relevant enough to even be called red herrings.

Red Herring Stew
An entire round which fails to have anything to do with the resolution or the opponent's arguments.

Don't feel bad, it's just you
Where the debater starts out all polite and sympathetic to imagined troubles his opponent may have had in putting together his argument, and then proceeds to tear him apart. "No offence" often falls under this.

Reverse the polarity
When a troll thread on a controversial topic get hijacked to talk about tv shows and favorite types of cake.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!