Jump to topic:

Formatting Question: quotes in debate

wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 10:01:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
In a debate, how do you make it clear what material is quoted? How do you distinguish the quotes from new stuff?

In this forum post, I could italicize quotes, or boldface them. What can we do in debate posts.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 10:11:26 AM
At 10/31/2011 10:01:31 AM, wiploc wrote:
In a debate, how do you make it clear what material is quoted? How do you distinguish the quotes from new stuff?

In this forum post, I could italicize quotes, or boldface them. What can we do in debate posts.

You do the same thing in debates. You need to choose rich text. If you are talking about debate comments, there is actually no way to boldface or italicize as I believe the comments are in plain text. If you want to quote, use quotation marks.
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 10:16:05 AM
I wish there was a way to have professional looking quotes in debates.
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 10:41:29 AM
At 10/31/2011 10:01:31 AM, wiploc wrote:

If it is small in length, I simply quote it inline with quotation marks.

If it is long or particularly important, I will have the quote on its own line, indented.

I may or may not italicized, depending on whether or not I think it needs additional attention drawn to it.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 4:32:07 PM
Wait a minute! I'm still confused after all.

You say you can indent block quotes? When I try to indent something, the entire message indents.

How can I indent a quotation without indenting everything else?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/31/2011 7:42:14 PM
At 10/31/2011 4:32:07 PM, wiploc wrote:
Wait a minute! I'm still confused after all.

You say you can indent block quotes? When I try to indent something, the entire message indents.

How can I indent a quotation without indenting everything else?

Yes, I've had that happen to. Not sure what I did to get it to work, but after repeatedly trying to do it, I got it to indent individual paragraphs.

Ex:
http://www.debate.org...
izbo10
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 10:58:55 AM
Quotation marks followed by a citation, wow, really this needed to be explained?
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/5/2011 11:26:48 AM
At 11/5/2011 10:58:55 AM, izbo10 wrote:
Quotation marks followed by a citation, wow, really this needed to be explained?
You seem to be loosing your popularity count, president Izbo10...Would you like an Unabomber with that remark of yours?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau