Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

How important is the resolution in a debate?

DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 1:42:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just about everyone who voted in one of my debate ignored the resolution entirely.

http://www.debate.org...
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 1:51:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
As missed from the opening round.

"'Global warming phase' - a time period of decent length (compared to a human lifespan) where the average global temperature increases. Over the course of this phase, average temperatures may fluctuate up and down, but the statistical trend is upward (example seen here [1])."

[1] http://www.debate.org...

So even if we are on the temporary down slope of one of the cycles, the general trend is upwards. So even though your graphs showed cooling (which was addressed multiple times in the debate) over the last 2 - 3 years, that doesn't disprove the trend or show that we are out of it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 1:53:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Though, really, I shouldn't be commenting on this, since I am not an objective poster on this particular example.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 2:06:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is everything to me when i am voting and debating. Sometimes the resolutions are sucky, and need more clarification in the first round. I also get really irritated by a resolution that is in the form of a question. The BoP is all on the resolution, proving and disproving.
DanT
Posts: 5,693
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2011 11:21:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/2/2011 1:53:34 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Though, really, I shouldn't be commenting on this, since I am not an objective poster on this particular example.

You never proved warming. Your argument for warming was based on surface tempatures, which was proven false.
"Chemical weapons are no different than any other types of weapons."~Lordknukle
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 9:53:29 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/2/2011 1:42:37 PM, DanT wrote:
Just about everyone who voted in one of my debate ignored the resolution entirely.

I knew I was going to lose this debate because I was arguing against capitalism on DDO (http://www.debate.org...). Enough said. That plus the fact that I was going against J.Kenyon (who people glorify for whatever reason... I guess copying and pasting from Mises.org is considered talent these days - who knows) pretty much solidified an automatic loss for me before the debate even started. However, the resolution read: On balance, capitalism is more humanitarian than communism. Not once in the entire debate did my opponent reference the HUMANITARIAN benefits of capitalism at all whatsoever. Perhaps if the resolution had read that on balance, capitalism was more PRODUCTIVE or PROFITABLE than communism, my opponent would have had a case. But whatever. People need to realize that judging on this website is not perfect and will never come close. As far as your debate, maybe I'll read it when I have time and get back to you with an RFD.
President of DDO
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:28:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/3/2011 9:53:29 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:42:37 PM, DanT wrote:
Just about everyone who voted in one of my debate ignored the resolution entirely.

I knew I was going to lose this debate because I was arguing against capitalism on DDO (http://www.debate.org...). Enough said. That plus the fact that I was going against J.Kenyon (who people glorify for whatever reason... I guess copying and pasting from Mises.org is considered talent these days - who knows) pretty much solidified an automatic loss for me before the debate even started. However, the resolution read: On balance, capitalism is more humanitarian than communism. Not once in the entire debate did my opponent reference the HUMANITARIAN benefits of capitalism at all whatsoever. Perhaps if the resolution had read that on balance, capitalism was more PRODUCTIVE or PROFITABLE than communism, my opponent would have had a case. But whatever. People need to realize that judging on this website is not perfect and will never come close. As far as your debate, maybe I'll read it when I have time and get back to you with an RFD.

Is it just me or was this post copy-pasted from somewhere else? It sounds familiar, like I read it before somewhere.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:36:06 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've said it before. I still feel the same, and it's pertinent to the thread. Even if it was c/p (it's not), what's your point?
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/3/2011 10:36:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/2/2011 11:21:07 PM, DanT wrote:
At 11/2/2011 1:53:34 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Though, really, I shouldn't be commenting on this, since I am not an objective poster on this particular example.

You never proved warming. Your argument for warming was based on surface tempatures, which was proven false.

ugh, no it wasn't, I also showed satellite temps which your only contention was that the graph ended in 2005. I'd prefer to not argue about the debate in the forums, but if you would like, we could continue the debate in the science section (or political section).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"