Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Votes and feedback

airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 12:14:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The following was an interesting debate, yet it still has no votes. If anyone could vote and offer feedback on the some of the latter points and issues presented, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.debate.org...
Debate.org Moderator
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 2:01:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://tickledbylife.com...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 1:59:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Do you have some specific beef with me knuckle? Based on a couple other instances you seem to not be my biggest fan... Just an observation, but I am curious if I accidentally dissed your mom or something...
Debate.org Moderator
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 2:05:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
You did a good job, but you probably don't want me to vote, the rebuttal against your argument was sufficient to nullify the resolution. It was a well done debate though, and you had a tough road to hoe.
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 2:26:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://troll.me...
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 2:27:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/8/2011 2:05:59 PM, innomen wrote:
You did a good job, but you probably don't want me to vote, the rebuttal against your argument was sufficient to nullify the resolution. It was a well done debate though, and you had a tough road to hoe.

Thank you Innomen.. I just didn't want the debate to end in a tie.. I just appreciate the feedback, and was interested in other peoples thoughts... I'm fairly certain my opinion on this matter is in the minority
Debate.org Moderator
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 4:31:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.debate.org...
Vote please!

(P.S I hope this is the right place...)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 4:46:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/8/2011 2:27:46 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/8/2011 2:05:59 PM, innomen wrote:
You did a good job, but you probably don't want me to vote, the rebuttal against your argument was sufficient to nullify the resolution. It was a well done debate though, and you had a tough road to hoe.


Thank you Innomen.. I just didn't want the debate to end in a tie.. I just appreciate the feedback, and was interested in other peoples thoughts... I'm fairly certain my opinion on this matter is in the minority

When you hold a minority opinion, or position, it's much harder to win, in fact i re-think even taking debates that are of a minority opinion, because even if i do far better, it's still harder to win the unconscious bias that's in people's minds - unless you have an idiot as an oponent (and you didn't).
airmax1227
Posts: 13,244
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 5:43:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/8/2011 4:46:53 PM, innomen wrote:
At 11/8/2011 2:27:46 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 11/8/2011 2:05:59 PM, innomen wrote:
You did a good job, but you probably don't want me to vote, the rebuttal against your argument was sufficient to nullify the resolution. It was a well done debate though, and you had a tough road to hoe.


Thank you Innomen.. I just didn't want the debate to end in a tie.. I just appreciate the feedback, and was interested in other peoples thoughts... I'm fairly certain my opinion on this matter is in the minority

When you hold a minority opinion, or position, it's much harder to win, in fact i re-think even taking debates that are of a minority opinion, because even if i do far better, it's still harder to win the unconscious bias that's in people's minds - unless you have an idiot as an oponent (and you didn't).

Agreed. My opponent certainly did an excellent job, and didn't make the debate easy. Though I don't know if, in general, I refrain from taking a minority position (as I probably am in the minority in most venues, often by choice), as long as I believe it's something I can argue effectively.

I'd like to think most voting DDO members put bias aside to actually evaluate debates objectively. However the human compulsion to reinforce, and maintain personal beliefs makes that difficult for us all.

More votes seem to counteract that to some extent. But more than actually winning, I just wanted feedback, as this was one of the most serious debates I've been involved in yet on DDO. Certain aspects of it brought up more abstract points regarding morality, sourcing, and conduct that I felt made it a particularly interesting exchange towards the end.
Debate.org Moderator