Jump to topic:

Debating Tournament

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 2:49:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
How do you reccomend going about setting one up? I am wondering about setting up a BP debate, but no idea how to get about doing it...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 3:10:12 PM
At 11/8/2011 2:49:18 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
How do you reccomend going about setting one up? I am wondering about setting up a BP debate, but no idea how to get about doing it...

Create some rules(acceptable behavior by debaters), decide on the logistics of the tournament(required voting or not by participants, how many spots are available, whether they may choose their own topics), and post the signups.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 3:16:51 PM
At 11/8/2011 3:10:12 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Create some rules(acceptable behavior by debaters), decide on the logistics of the tournament(required voting or not by participants, how many spots are available, whether they may choose their own topics), and post the signups.

Thanks a lot. Where should I post it in? Is there any examples around of "good" signups?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 3:34:35 PM
At 11/8/2011 3:16:51 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 11/8/2011 3:10:12 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Thanks a lot. Where should I post it in? Is there any examples around of "good" signups?

It is usually posted in the DDO forum.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 5:40:11 PM
The usual problem with tournaments is that time limits are not enforced. Somebody will take two weeks to get a case together and the tournament organizer will agree, because enforcing a time limit seems too cruel. Then somebody is going on a trip, and has to delay two weeks. Then somebody can't get his opponent to agree on a topic. Eventually it drags on for so long the tournament dies for lack of interest. Made time limits for everything and enforce them.

I think tournaments are great, but they are tough to keep going. Probably a restriction to eight participants is workable.