Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

>80% win rate, and you get to live in space

PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 10:35:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
now this is in total relation to DDO, which is why I posted it in this section. Now, while reading this, close your eyes! Well, don't actually do that, but imagine! Imagine that you have been contacted by the government, via PM (weird, I know), and they ask that since you have a win rate of over 80%, they want you on the ship going to colonize a far away planet. So basically, the smartest (at least if you use the percentages of wins, which is a completely useless way to tell intelligence) of this site get a chance to go colonize something never before been explored.

Tempting, I know...you would be going with your fellow debaters, and a ton of armed personal, obviously. Some other "normal" people would be there as well. The question remains, however....would you go??
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 10:45:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would not be able to bring myself to go, My family and friends are the ones I live for in life and they are the ones who get me to get out of bed every morning. As exciting as colonizing a distant place would be I would not be able to bring myself to do it unless 2 things happen.

1) The conditions of my home on Earth have deteriorated to the point where it is intolerable,
2) Such an event does not take place until the very distant future when I have become far more independent.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Kinesis
Posts: 3,667
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 10:47:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Suggestion: When posing such scenarios, don't ask 'closed' questions with a yes or no answer because they end discussions pretty quickly. Instead, pose 'open' questions that require explanation.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 10:49:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Not really. Things can go wrong on the takeoff. Things can go wrong with the oxygen equipment. Things can go wrong on the landing. Maybe there's some kind of hostile species on the planet we're colonizing (maybe). Plus, space food has to be pretty nasty.
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 11:12:41 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 10:47:08 AM, Kinesis wrote:
Suggestion: When posing such scenarios, don't ask 'closed' questions with a yes or no answer because they end discussions pretty quickly. Instead, pose 'open' questions that require explanation.

Yeah, kinda realizing that now. Hopefully somebody will post something completely off-topic, and at least this thread will keep going haha. thanks
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 11:13:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 10:49:21 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Not really. Things can go wrong on the takeoff. Things can go wrong with the oxygen equipment. Things can go wrong on the landing. Maybe there's some kind of hostile species on the planet we're colonizing (maybe). Plus, space food has to be pretty nasty.

Well, you are just one big worry wort. That's the fun of going! Such RISK!! And no, not the board game...
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 11:17:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 11:13:05 AM, PartamRuhem wrote:
At 11/9/2011 10:49:21 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Not really. Things can go wrong on the takeoff. Things can go wrong with the oxygen equipment. Things can go wrong on the landing. Maybe there's some kind of hostile species on the planet we're colonizing (maybe). Plus, space food has to be pretty nasty.

Well, you are just one big worry wort. That's the fun of going! Such RISK!! And no, not the board game...

So you're telling me you're not worried about giving up fast food whatsoever??? I don't think they have cheeseburgers on MARS. lol
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 11:20:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 11:17:45 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/9/2011 11:13:05 AM, PartamRuhem wrote:
At 11/9/2011 10:49:21 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
Not really. Things can go wrong on the takeoff. Things can go wrong with the oxygen equipment. Things can go wrong on the landing. Maybe there's some kind of hostile species on the planet we're colonizing (maybe). Plus, space food has to be pretty nasty.

Well, you are just one big worry wort. That's the fun of going! Such RISK!! And no, not the board game...

So you're telling me you're not worried about giving up fast food whatsoever??? I don't think they have cheeseburgers on MARS. lol

haha well...I am a vegetarian. So no cheeseburgers = good. Maybe they should just send a bunch of vegetarians. We are pretty capable of adapting our eating styles haha.

But I would sure miss mashed potatoes....and asparagus. God, so good...
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 11:58:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
meh. thats a tough question. i would love to go to outer space but i would hate to be under the direct control of the government. even though colonizing a new planet would be really tough, that wouldn't worry me as much as being a slave. so i would have to say no.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 11:59:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I read "Red Mars" in school. Life on Mars doesn't exactly seem like a reward...

Australia is a pretty good continent today... Let's send all our criminals to Mars instead.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 12:08:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Well I don't know if I'd care for life on Mars or any other Planet, but if my job is to colonize it then I would have to procreate. Add ten virgins to that list and I'll think about it.
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 12:49:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 11:59:00 AM, bluesteel wrote:
I read "Red Mars" in school. Life on Mars doesn't exactly seem like a reward...

Australia is a pretty good continent today... Let's send all our criminals to Mars instead.

I like it. We can also send all the trolls. It will be completely dreadful there, but one day, maybe it will be like Australia! haha
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:06:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I simply believe that we need to recolonise some other countries... like France. Get some decent people there...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:39:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 10:35:46 AM, PartamRuhem wrote:
now this is in total relation to DDO, which is why I posted it in this section. Now, while reading this, close your eyes! Well, don't actually do that, but imagine! Imagine that you have been contacted by the government, via PM (weird, I know), and they ask that since you have a win rate of over 80%, they want you on the ship going to colonize a far away planet. So basically, the smartest (at least if you use the percentages of wins, which is a completely useless way to tell intelligence) of this site get a chance to go colonize something never before been explored.

Tempting, I know...you would be going with your fellow debaters, and a ton of armed personal, obviously. Some other "normal" people would be there as well. The question remains, however....would you go??

Unfortunately, my win rate is not high enough to meet your standards but I would sign up to be a replacement. :) I would love to meet many of the DDO members is person. I really wonder though if we would spend all of our time arguing.

Here is my plan as to what we should do once we get to that planet:

Partam should be the leader since he came up with this idea. I think he should be in charge of piloting the spacecraft as well as finding suitable places to land.

We can appoint Blackvoid as our nuclear weapons developer. In case there is an asteroid attack on our new planet, we would need to develop the weapons to blast them in the air before they reach the ground.

A far off planet is vulnerable to being attacked by other alien species. Lickdafoot would be the alien buster. She would stand guard every night and if an alien species or UFOs invade our new planet, she would be the first line of defense.

Bluesteel would be in charge of criminal justice. He would take all the "criminals" to a nearby planet (nicknamed "Australia") where they would spend the rest of their life away from the mainstream community.

Double_R would the troll catcher. Anyone using the words idiot or retard, or doing anything that doesn't directly benefit our society would be challenged to a real live debate and forced to defend a position that they are not a troll. If they are unable to defend it, they would then be placed in a crater with the word "troll" written on it, so that everyone would know who they are.

At this point, I think my answer to the OPs question is obvious. Of course I will come. Anyone have any idea how I can contribute?
PartamRuhem
Posts: 1,559
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 5:14:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 2:39:11 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 11/9/2011 10:35:46 AM, PartamRuhem wrote:
now this is in total relation to DDO, which is why I posted it in this section. Now, while reading this, close your eyes! Well, don't actually do that, but imagine! Imagine that you have been contacted by the government, via PM (weird, I know), and they ask that since you have a win rate of over 80%, they want you on the ship going to colonize a far away planet. So basically, the smartest (at least if you use the percentages of wins, which is a completely useless way to tell intelligence) of this site get a chance to go colonize something never before been explored.

Tempting, I know...you would be going with your fellow debaters, and a ton of armed personal, obviously. Some other "normal" people would be there as well. The question remains, however....would you go??

Unfortunately, my win rate is not high enough to meet your standards but I would sign up to be a replacement. :) I would love to meet many of the DDO members is person. I really wonder though if we would spend all of our time arguing.

Here is my plan as to what we should do once we get to that planet:

Partam should be the leader since he came up with this idea. I think he should be in charge of piloting the spacecraft as well as finding suitable places to land.

We can appoint Blackvoid as our nuclear weapons developer. In case there is an asteroid attack on our new planet, we would need to develop the weapons to blast them in the air before they reach the ground.

A far off planet is vulnerable to being attacked by other alien species. Lickdafoot would be the alien buster. She would stand guard every night and if an alien species or UFOs invade our new planet, she would be the first line of defense.

Bluesteel would be in charge of criminal justice. He would take all the "criminals" to a nearby planet (nicknamed "Australia") where they would spend the rest of their life away from the mainstream community.

Double_R would the troll catcher. Anyone using the words idiot or retard, or doing anything that doesn't directly benefit our society would be challenged to a real live debate and forced to defend a position that they are not a troll. If they are unable to defend it, they would then be placed in a crater with the word "troll" written on it, so that everyone would know who they are.

At this point, I think my answer to the OPs question is obvious. Of course I will come. Anyone have any idea how I can contribute?

I love being the leader, though I can't fly planes...let alone a spacecraft...haha.

Obviously, Raisor would need to come on board to develop the nukes. HE is a scientist. Blackvoid just has cool pictures.....other than that, I like it!

LDF and her menstral cramps will scare away any aliens.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Posts: 18,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 8:04:15 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 5:14:17 PM, PartamRuhem wrote:


I love being the leader, though I can't fly planes...let alone a spacecraft...haha.

Obviously, Raisor would need to come on board to develop the nukes. HE is a scientist. Blackvoid just has cool pictures.....other than that, I like it!

LDF and her menstral cramps will scare away any aliens.

Raisor can definitely help us research and find out the most seismically stable locations to start our DDO civilization. I really want to leave Spritle here though :D
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 6:31:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/9/2011 12:08:20 PM, Double_R wrote:
Well I don't know if I'd care for life on Mars or any other Planet, but if my job is to colonize it then I would have to procreate. Add ten virgins to that list and I'll think about it.

Nope. I treasure my friends here way too much.