Jump to topic:

Saddening Partisan Quibbling

SolaGratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 4:39:08 PM
Posted: 8 years ago
As a member of both the (basically deceased I guess) CWO and the Cleaners, I have watched with growing dismay as, since the introduction of debate.org 2.0, thuggish clan debating has interfered with the formerly fairly reasonable proceedings. This has, sadly, mostly been perpetrated by conservatives--namely joshandr30, who seem to have developed an (understandable) inferiority complex on this site. However, there have been offenders on both sides.

The founders of debate.org have made this a reasonably open site. This creates a good debating atmosphere, but also makes us especially vulnerable to partisan thuggery as exhibited by joshandr30.

In view of this, I say that we, the debaters of this site, should have a voluntary charter guaranteeing a free debating atmosphere and certain standards of conduct.

Here's my idea. Feel free to submit suggestions.

"We, the undersigned, pledge to end vote-bombing and the creation of false accounts on this site, to fight against dishonest debating and voting of all sorts, not for selfish reasons but to raise the standards of debating on this site and to make this site once again a place for excellent debates where the winner is decided by the veracity and presentation of their arguments and not by their political or religious views."

I strongly feel that we need to move past crude vote-bombing. It only leads to bad feeling and more vote-bombing in retaliation. I hope there are others here who feel as I do.

Please, reply and sign!
You've just been Sola Gratia'ed.

http://mosingsonlife.blogspot.com...

Sola Gratia Contra Mundum
scissorhands7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 4:41:06 PM
I do agree, we are (or once were) working on a debaters cookbook on www.debatef.com

I think The cookbook along with the code of conduct would be a lovely addition to this site.
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
I hang out with an apple who loves self loathing....
Its my show I'm andy milonakis.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 5:17:51 PM
I agree with L-M. I never vote-bombed anyone, not even joshandr30 at the height of our encounter.

In the interest of the general community, I will sign.

Britt
Don't I take care of them all?
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 5:20:30 PM
As far as the cookbook goes, the project has been stuck for a couple of weeks. We are lacking a few necessary components in order for me to begin editing and compiling.
Don't I take care of them all?
funnybrad333
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 6:56:14 PM
Can anyone cite an instance of vote bombing that actually was effective?

I have yet to see a debate where one side should have obviously won but he actually lost.
If I didn't answer what you said, try bolding the important part.
SolaGratia
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 7:26:29 PM
Funnybrad: Kleptin went from 80 percent win ratio to 30 percent overnight. So did Tatarize. All, I believe, the work of Joshandr30. 'Nuff said.

Brittwaller: I'm not making any accusations. And this is not retroactive.

Please, sign!
You've just been Sola Gratia'ed.

http://mosingsonlife.blogspot.com...

Sola Gratia Contra Mundum
Robert_Santurri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 8:28:14 PM
At 10/20/2008 5:17:51 PM, brittwaller wrote:
I agree with L-M. I never vote-bombed anyone, not even joshandr30 at the height of our encounter.

In the interest of the general community, I will sign.

Britt

Agreed, never vote-bombed anyone.

In the interest of the general community and this site, I will sign.
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."
-- Edward R. Murrow

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
-- Robert Frost
scissorhands7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 8:40:49 PM
Have always been against vote bombing. Will sign however this wont matter if more fake accounts keep bombarding our debates.

Really I'm gonna just go out and perform something drastic.

Unless this gets fixed relatively soon I'm thinking of starting a forum topic where only debaters who post reasons for decisions can vote. At regular intervals we will tally up the votes. This way we can see who votes and only include votes with reasons for decisions.

This possibly could be on debatef.com. Additionally I realize this would take up huge amounts of forum space, but since this is being used for regular forumn space, why not?
I rock peas on my head, but don't call me a peahead, bees on my head but dont call me a beehead, bruce lees on my head but dont call me a lee head...
scissorhands7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2008 8:41:06 PM
perform should be propose