Jump to topic:

Petition for 2v2 Debates

cameronl35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 10:23:43 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I know the idea might seem far-fetched and unachievable however I'm just trying to see if we can rally up enough people who would like a 2v2 option to get Juggle/Innomen's attention. So, DDO, would you like to have a 2v2 style debate included on Debate.org? Let's set a goal at 20 for now..
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 10:31:37 PM
Well, you have to explain what the idea is to begin with before anyone can support it. Do you mean 2 people collaborating on 1 argument or 2 people on a team making 2 arguments? In any case, the site Admins as well as the president have a long list of more pressing reforms that would take priority over a new form of debate, like updating the big issues, troll moderation, fixing the "last-word" advantage, etc. So, its unlikely that this would get through any time soon :/
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
cameronl35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 10:36:34 PM
At 11/25/2011 10:31:37 PM, 000ike wrote:
Well, you have to explain what the idea is to begin with before anyone can support it. Do you mean 2 people collaborating on 1 argument or 2 people on a team making 2 arguments? In any case, the site Admins as well as the president have a long list of more pressing reforms that would take priority over a new form of debate, like updating the big issues, troll moderation, fixing the "last-word" advantage, etc. So, its unlikely that this would get through any time soon :/

I think it can be better explained with an example. Bob and Bill are debating Daisy and John about whether Libertarianism is just or not, Bob and Bill collaborate to affirm the resolution and Daisy and John collaborate to negate the resolution. I understand that they do have pressing reforms but I also think that this does have it's own importance if enough people want it. We definitely need big-issues but the troll moderation seems alright..and what is this "last-word" advantage?
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 10:41:38 PM
At 11/25/2011 10:36:34 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
At 11/25/2011 10:31:37 PM, 000ike wrote:

I think it can be better explained with an example. Bob and Bill are debating Daisy and John about whether Libertarianism is just or not, Bob and Bill collaborate to affirm the resolution and Daisy and John collaborate to negate the resolution. I understand that they do have pressing reforms but I also think that this does have it's own importance if enough people want it. We definitely need big-issues but the troll moderation seems alright..and what is this "last-word" advantage?

Its the idea that the contender getting to speak last in every debates gives all contenders an unfair advantage. A few ideas were proposed to fix the problem, like altering the amount of characters the instigator gets vs. the amount the contender gets in certain rounds, and making both debaters have to post their arguments at the same time rather than in turns.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 11:24:00 PM
I'd prefer it to be 1 person writes 1 argument and the teammate writes a different argument in the next round. In the meantime they can talk in a PM of any suggestions they have. Thats basically how real life debate does it.
cameronl35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 11:32:39 PM
At 11/25/2011 11:24:00 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I'd prefer it to be 1 person writes 1 argument and the teammate writes a different argument in the next round. In the meantime they can talk in a PM of any suggestions they have. Thats basically how real life debate does it.

Yea so one debater would present the case in which the two can collaborate on and then one side would do the rebuttal like a real high school style debate. That's what I'm implying but I don't want to narrow it down to one event like Policy or Public Forum.
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 12:46:23 AM
Since it was my idea to start with...Support. (even though people dont really say that on this forum....)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 12:59:52 AM
At 11/26/2011 12:46:23 AM, thett3 wrote:
Since it was my idea to start with...Support. (even though people dont really say that on this forum....)

This idea has floated around this site for months, if not years. There were discussions on it prior to my arrival.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
cameronl35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 1:03:28 AM

I know, I do not claim to have started the idea. I just want to see how many will support.
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 1:06:32 AM
At 11/26/2011 12:59:52 AM, Maikuru wrote:

This idea has floated around this site for months, if not years. There were discussions on it prior to my arrival.

Fair enough, retracted :)

Still support obviously.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
cameronl35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 1:08:55 AM
At 11/26/2011 1:06:32 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 11/26/2011 12:59:52 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Fair enough, retracted :)

Still support obviously.

Well you are the only one to have stepped forward so I guess we can call that two, you and I.
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)