Jump to topic:

Response times

deamonomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 1:24:32 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi there, i was just wondering if my current situation is the norm around here. (last time i was here was 2 years ago). I put up a topic for a debate, it got accepted and i haven't seen anything from him since then... I'm beginning to wonder if hes actually going to take part...
I would gladly lose a million times over then win by cheating once.
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 1:30:17 AM
If your debate got accepted then you will probably carry out the debate. If he forfeits just post it in the forfeited debate thread and it will be an auto-win for you.

If you are worried about people flaking I would try challenging specific members who you know (from their profile) typically complete debates.
deamonomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 3:17:24 AM
i was hoping when i came back to have a decent speed for the debates. I'm not looking for a new post every five minutes but at least once a day would be nice.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 9:30:20 AM
y u lie?

None of your debates are still in the debating period. I was trying to see who your opponent was to see if it's someone who is likely to forfeit.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
deamonomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 10:30:45 AM
At 11/26/2011 9:30:20 AM, bluesteel wrote:
y u lie?

None of your debates are still in the debating period. I was trying to see who your opponent was to see if it's someone who is likely to forfeit.

next time before you outright accuse people of lying , you should ask them first. If you cant find it ask for a link to it. might not seem like a rude person then.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 11:32:53 AM
"y u lie" is just a meme expression - it's not supposed to be the same as "you're a liar." It's just a throwaway expression used in forums to mean that you can't verify the aforementioned information.

I guess the debate doesn't appear in your profile until the other user posts his or her first round. I didn't know that, sorry.

If you want faster response times, either challenge someone you know who always responds quickly (like me) or set the response time to 2 days or 1 day instead of 3 when you're creating the debate.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
deamonomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 11:36:59 AM
yea sorry if what I posted seemed rude. I don't mean to come off as rude... okay some times I do, but I blame the pain meds. They make me furious over every little thing... its... infuriating!
deamonomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 9:18:23 PM
is there a way i can cancel a debate with a guy who isnt likely to post anything?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 9:55:26 PM
At 11/26/2011 9:18:23 PM, deamonomic wrote:
is there a way i can cancel a debate with a guy who isnt likely to post anything?

If he doesn't post then you win.
deamonomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 10:13:24 PM
At 11/26/2011 9:55:26 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

well im worried that hes going to wait till the last minute to post something then wait another 3 days to post the next thing. I would rather it just be cancelled so i can start over with less response time.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 10:21:43 PM
At 11/26/2011 10:13:24 PM, deamonomic wrote:

well im worried that hes going to wait till the last minute to post something then wait another 3 days to post the next thing. I would rather it just be cancelled so i can start over with less response time.

Honestly there are not many people here that post quickly. The only ones I've got off the top of my head are Bluesteel, Raisor, Infidel, and me. So I guess you'll just have to make a shorter time like you said.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 10:36:40 PM

If he doesn't reply in the first round, the debate is cancelled.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 10:38:13 PM
At 11/26/2011 1:24:32 AM, deamonomic wrote:
Hi there, i was just wondering if my current situation is the norm around here. (last time i was here was 2 years ago). I put up a topic for a debate, it got accepted and i haven't seen anything from him since then... I'm beginning to wonder if hes actually going to take part...

I always use the entire 3 days before I post my response (for every round). Some others do the same but most are quicker. In the future, select a shorter response time.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
deamonomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 10:41:51 PM
i plan to shorten the time in the future. i only had it as long as it was this time as a courtesy. I understand that some people will take some time to formulate their argument. I would have been fine with letting him take the full 3 days if i had hear one thing from him, just one thing. a polite "i will post soon, still working on my argument" would have been sufficient. but imo its a bit rude to accept a debate and then leave the other party hanging like that.