jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:03:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Here is the main reason you should vote for jimtimmy/deathbeforedishonour

This morning, I saw this post by the current president Innomen:

"I will reserve the right to ban at any time for practical reasons. It will be a judgment call."

That's right, Innomen might just ban any of us at any time. It is a "judgement call" for him.

Right now, he is considering banning Izbo... just for speaking out about his own views.

Nobody on DDO should have this kind of power.

This is scary.

When I'm president, people like Izbo would never be banned. In fact, I would not reserve the power to ban at all.

I'm not going to go around and ban whoever I feel like banning.

To protect DDO and yourself from this unchecked power to ban, you must vote jimtimmy/deathbeforedishonour for DDO president and VP!!!
President of DDO
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:09:32 PM
If you're not going to ban Izbo, you do NOT have my vote. lol
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:14:48 PM
At 11/28/2011 3:03:46 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
Here is the main reason you should vote for jimtimmy/deathbeforedishonour

This morning, I saw this post by the current president Innomen:

"I will reserve the right to ban at any time for practical reasons. It will be a judgment call."

That's right, Innomen might just ban any of us at any time. It is a "judgement call" for him.

Right now, he is considering banning Izbo... just for speaking out about his own views.

Nobody on DDO should have this kind of power.

This is scary.

When I'm president, people like Izbo would never be banned. In fact, I would not reserve the power to ban at all.

I'm not going to go around and ban whoever I feel like banning.

To protect DDO and yourself from this unchecked power to ban, you must vote jimtimmy/deathbeforedishonour for DDO president and VP!!!

DDO President =/= power to ban.

That power was given to Innomen seperate from his winning the DDO election and win or lose, that power stays with him. It does not move to the new DDO president.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:17:00 PM
jimtimmy, I believe you are strawmanning our soon-to-be two-term President.
You see, "because I don't like you" is not a practical reason.
izbo10 is not being banned for simply voicing his opinion, otherwise I would be banned along with him, as well as dozens of other users who essentially share izbo10's religious views.
izbo10 is being banned because he continuously insults other members, which is a breach of the DDO T&C. This alone probably wouldn't get him banned either, but I believe that izbo10 has been reported dozens of times for said insulting behaviour and innomen simply can't ignore it any more.
HOWEVER, because of the potential backlash about banning such an active member of the community, he is going to be given a trial to defend himself and his action. The result of that is likely to determine whether he is banned or not.

I ask you to provide sources to prove your assertion that innomen is a ban happy president. Who else of any value has been banned?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:19:19 PM
At 11/28/2011 3:17:00 PM, tvellalott wrote:
izbo10 is not being banned for simply voicing his opinion, otherwise I would be banned along with him, as well as dozens of other users who essentially share izbo10's religious views.
izbo10 is being banned because he continuously insults other members, which is a breach of the DDO T&C. This alone probably wouldn't get him banned either, but I believe that izbo10 has been reported dozens of times for said insulting behaviour and innomen simply can't ignore it any more.
HOWEVER, because of the potential backlash about banning such an active member of the community, he is going to be given a trial to defend himself and his action. The result of that is likely to determine whether he is banned or not.

I ask you to provide sources to prove your assertion that innomen is a ban happy president. Who else of any value has been banned?

Even if he is being rude, he should still not be banned... even with a trial...

Banning guys like nono is one thing.... banning a guy like Izbo, who is just being rude, is just wrong.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:23:07 PM
At 11/28/2011 3:19:19 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 11/28/2011 3:17:00 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Even if he is being rude, he should still not be banned... even with a trial...

Banning guys like nono is one thing.... banning a guy like Izbo, who is just being rude, is just wrong.

Then be thankful it isn't up to me. The fact that Innomen has allowed Izbo to stay this long, against the months and months of members requesting a ban shows an extremely tolerant stance.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:24:30 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't want to see izbo10 banned, especially now a plug-in has been developed to make his posts invisible to those who don't want to see them.
Unfortunately many members do want to see him banned. They too must have respect shown to them. That is why I think the trial is a good compromise.

Muh threads
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:34:58 PM
At 11/28/2011 3:24:30 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I'm inclined to agree with you. I don't want to see izbo10 banned, especially now a plug-in has been developed to make his posts invisible to those who don't want to see them.
Unfortunately many members do want to see him banned. They too must have respect shown to them. That is why I think the trial is a good compromise.

Let's take this idea to an extreme... What if there was a guy who was a real dick... he didn't hurt anyone directly, but he was a real jerk....

A bunch of people decided they wanted him to be killed... Well, the president resisted these calls for a while... But then, he finally decided that he was going to have this jerk killed... After all, those people who wanted this guy to be killed need to be "respected"....

But, to be fair, there would be a trial first to see if he would get killed.

In my opinion, this is a terrible precedent and this is a fundamentally wrong way to approach things
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:37:59 PM
At 11/28/2011 3:34:58 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

Let's take this idea to an extreme... What if there was a guy who was a real dick... he didn't hurt anyone directly, but he was a real jerk....

A bunch of people decided they wanted him to be killed... Well, the president resisted these calls for a while... But then, he finally decided that he was going to have this jerk killed... After all, those people who wanted this guy to be killed need to be "respected"....

In my opinion, this is a terrible precedent and this is a fundamentally wrong way to approach things

being banned =/= being killed. You have a right to life. You don't have a right to DDO.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:42:20 PM

That is a bogus comparison. This is not an anything-goes community. izbo10 is lucky to have lasted this long and he is extremely lucky to be given the chance to defend himself. I share your sentiments, however, the majority of people seem to want him banned. Do you think we'll be a lesser community if he is lost?

Muh threads
TheTruthAnalyst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:47:01 PM

Completely irrelevant and this kind of argument shows you aren't worthy of votes.

DDO is essentially a private forum open to the public. However, there are rules(ToS) that must be followed. It's like saying 'You can come over to my house, but don't swear at people'.

If you come over to my house and swear at people, I can kick you out. It's nothing like killing somebody.

Lrn2analogy
Vote For Truth. Vote For Pie.
Truth-Pie 2012 (member FDIC)
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:48:17 PM
At 11/28/2011 3:42:20 PM, tvellalott wrote:

That is a bogus comparison. This is not an anything-goes community. izbo10 is lucky to have lasted this long and he is extremely lucky to be given the chance to defend himself. I share your sentiments, however, the majority of people seem to want him banned. Do you think we'll be a lesser community if he is lost?

I just don't believe in the precedent that the majority of people should be able to decide the fate of an individual member...

Yes, I oppose democracy for this reason...

I do think we will be a lesser community if we start banning people based on majority opinion...
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:50:04 PM
At 11/28/2011 3:48:17 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

I just don't believe in the precedent that the majority of people should be able to decide the fate of an individual member...

I do think we will be a lesser community if we start banning people based on majority opinion...

Is banning people based on a minority opinion, or even a single individual's opinion any better?
TheTruthAnalyst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:52:17 PM

It's not about majority opinion. Izbo constantly violates ToS. Can you see the difference between being unpopular, and being unpopular due to constantly breaking the community rules?

Personally, I think he should just be banned without a trial. It would be justified, and people like Izbo drive off new members.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:53:14 PM
At 11/28/2011 3:50:04 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Is banning people based on a minority opinion, or even a single individual's opinion any better?

No, not banning people at all is better...
President of DDO
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 3:57:29 PM

Do you think anyone should ever be banned for anything? Would you ban nono, massdebater250, or any of the other blatant trolls that had no interest in intelligent discourse?

If so, how can these trolls be banned without someone making the decision?

Who do you feel should be making this decision, and why is it any different from what you see happening? What is it that you plan to change?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:01:41 PM
At 11/28/2011 3:57:29 PM, Double_R wrote:

Do you think anyone should ever be banned for anything? Would you ban nono, massdebater250, or any of the other blatant trolls that had no interest in intelligent discourse?

If so, how can these trolls be banned without someone making the decision?

Who do you feel should be making this decision, and why is it any different from what you see happening? What is it that you plan to change?

Nobody should ever be banned unless very, very extreme circumstances apply...

This means that guys like NoNo would be banned... I would govern by this principle as president
President of DDO
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:04:29 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:01:41 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

This means that guys like NoNo would be banned... I would govern by this principle as president

And who is supposed to decide what "very, very extreme circumbstances" are? How is this consistent with everything you just said in regards to majority opinion, or an individual having too much power?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:09:25 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:04:29 PM, Double_R wrote:

And who is supposed to decide what "very, very extreme circumbstances" are? How is this consistent with everything you just said in regards to majority opinion, or an individual having too much power?

I said NO BANNING...

A guy like Nono could get socially banned without being directly banned... If Nono is not fed, he will get bored and stop trolling... THis only happens in extreme circumstances..,

This is what I meant in my last post

No Banning!!! That is my platform
President of DDO
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:17:01 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:09:25 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
I said NO BANNING...

A guy like Nono could get socially banned without being directly banned... If Nono is not fed, he will get bored and stop trolling... THis only happens in extreme circumstances..,

Socially banned? "if Nono is not fed"? This is what you are trying to argue?

It is blatantly clear that your position on this has no merit whatsoever. What you just said is not reality. You would allow trolls to sabotage debates and use DDO as their own personal playground because you don't like the idea of anyone having the power to do anything about it. DDO would fall apart with you as President (if you were actually able to get your way, which is beyond doubtful).
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:17:53 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:17:01 PM, Double_R wrote:
I said NO BANNING...

Socially banned? "if Nono is not fed"? This is what you are trying to argue?

It is blatantly clear that your position on this has no merit whatsoever. What you just said is not reality. You would allow trolls to sabotage debates and use DDO as their own personal playground because you don't like the idea of anyone having the power to do anything about it. DDO would fall apart with you as President (if you were actually able to get your way, which is beyond doubtful).

I am running on the Anti Banning Party... our platform is anti banning
President of DDO
TheTruthAnalyst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:19:04 PM

I said NO BANNING...

Right. So someone joins and starts posting porn everywhere, and we should just ignore them?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:19:51 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:19:04 PM, TheTruthAnalyst wrote:

I said NO BANNING...

Right. So someone joins and starts posting porn everywhere, and we should just ignore them?

You can ignore their posts
President of DDO
TheTruthAnalyst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:25:42 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:19:51 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

I said NO BANNING...

Awesome. And when the marketing spammers realize their posts will never be removed, they can start posting thousands of threads a day and we'll just ignore them, right?

Question: Why do we need a 'government' that isn't going to do anything?
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:33:36 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:25:42 PM, TheTruthAnalyst wrote:

I said NO BANNING...

Awesome. And when the marketing spammers realize their posts will never be removed, they can start posting thousands of threads a day and we'll just ignore them, right?

Answer: Why do we need a 'government' at all?
President of DDO
Chrysippus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:37:41 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:33:36 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

And Jimtimmy just dropped out of the elections. No-one was going to vote for him anyway, so it didn't make any difference; but he just realized that his only consistent action if elected would be to close his account.
Cavete mea inexorabilis legiones mimus!
TheTruthAnalyst
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:39:56 PM

I said NO BANNING...

Wow.

In case you forgot, you were taking the Pro side on the resolution 'Vote for Jimtimmy'
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:44:10 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:37:41 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

And Jimtimmy just dropped out of the elections. No-one was going to vote for him anyway, so it didn't make any difference; but he just realized that his only consistent action if elected would be to close his account.

Lol, I'm still running... and there is a good chance I will win... The silent majority supports me and the anti banning platform is quite popular
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:50:37 PM
At 11/28/2011 4:44:10 PM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 11/28/2011 4:37:41 PM, Chrysippus wrote:

Lol, I'm still running... and there is a good chance I will win... The silent majority supports me and the anti banning platform is quite popular

Yeah, sure. It worked wonders for Cosmic last election.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 4:53:22 PM

You oppose democracy, but you don't like that Inno retains the power the ban individuals without asking anyone else?