Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

DDO And The Lack Of Manners

inferno
Posts: 10,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 10:44:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
How many of you people here have ever said something rude or disrespectful to someone else here before. If so, then why must we bow down to the standards of hypocrisy. We can all sing together, but we cannot all talk together. We have very different ideologies, and opinions, and perceptions about life. You have yours, and I have mine. But please do not try to single out others here at the sake of being self righteous. Because I aint buying it, and neither should you. I assume that some people here have a rather thin skin, and others are rather thick.
If I have had said something to offend anyone here on this forum, then I am going to be man enough to say this. I apologize. And that means I will not always agree with your ideology, but I will listen to your side of the story. But to cherry pick someone out like a baby would, is only a reflection of your incompetence and expectations that you have as a human being. We are all guilty, and that is just the way that it is. We dont always show our manners here at DEBATE.ORG. Do you agree ?
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 10:45:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 10:44:11 AM, inferno wrote:
How many of you people here have ever said something rude or disrespectful to someone else here before. If so, then why must we bow down to the standards of hypocrisy. We can all sing together, but we cannot all talk together. We have very different ideologies, and opinions, and perceptions about life. You have yours, and I have mine. But please do not try to single out others here at the sake of being self righteous. Because I aint buying it, and neither should you. I assume that some people here have a rather thin skin, and others are rather thick.
If I have had said something to offend anyone here on this forum, then I am going to be man enough to say this. I apologize. And that means I will not always agree with your ideology, but I will listen to your side of the story. But to cherry pick someone out like a baby would, is only a reflection of your incompetence and expectations that you have as a human being. We are all guilty, and that is just the way that it is. We dont always show our manners here at DEBATE.ORG. Do you agree ?

Words are wind.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 11:38:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm not sure it is possible to completely avoid offending people, as some people are offended by your disagreeing with them. However, there are far too many gratuitous insults.

I'm thinking that a thumbs down item on posts should be added. After five negative clicks, the post is concealed. A reader who wants to see it can click something to restore it. A number of net forums use that system. If I recall correctly, amazon and YouTube have the feature.

I think a debate site ought to be more concerned about ad hom attacks and such than other sites.
inferno
Posts: 10,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 11:53:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 11:38:00 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
I'm not sure it is possible to completely avoid offending people, as some people are offended by your disagreeing with them. However, there are far too many gratuitous insults.

I'm thinking that a thumbs down item on posts should be added. After five negative clicks, the post is concealed. A reader who wants to see it can click something to restore it. A number of net forums use that system. If I recall correctly, amazon and YouTube have the feature.

I think a debate site ought to be more concerned about ad hom attacks and such than other sites.

I think some should just take it at face value and ignore insults. It is part of our culture unfortunately. And it is part of the culture here at DDO.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:21:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I disagree with anything that restricts your right to speak in any forum.
It is equally rude to silence people you disagree with.

I do not mind abusive people being here, I just choose to not read their rhetoric, but I would like the ability to respond to it and interact.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:24:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 12:21:59 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I disagree with anything that restricts your right to speak in any forum.
It is equally rude to silence people you disagree with.
Not at all. Those who are constantly rude push away those who can behave well. They should be punished so that more productive talk comes to light.

You're essentially saying that if someone spams the forums with nonsensical and rude posts so that one can hardly see what others are writing, he should still not be silenced. You're dead wrong.
inferno
Posts: 10,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:26:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 12:24:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:21:59 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I disagree with anything that restricts your right to speak in any forum.
It is equally rude to silence people you disagree with.
Not at all. Those who are constantly rude push away those who can behave well. They should be punished so that more productive talk comes to light.

You're essentially saying that if someone spams the forums with nonsensical and rude posts so that one can hardly see what others are writing, he should still not be silenced. You're dead wrong.

It depends on your definition of productive. Fox News is not really the typical standard news format. It is opinions, talking points, and bull crap rhetoric.
But, people still respond to it accordingly and with good reason.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:29:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 12:26:19 PM, inferno wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:24:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:21:59 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I disagree with anything that restricts your right to speak in any forum.
It is equally rude to silence people you disagree with.
Not at all. Those who are constantly rude push away those who can behave well. They should be punished so that more productive talk comes to light.

You're essentially saying that if someone spams the forums with nonsensical and rude posts so that one can hardly see what others are writing, he should still not be silenced. You're dead wrong.

It depends on your definition of productive. Fox News is not really the typical standard news format. It is opinions, talking points, and bull crap rhetoric.
But, people still respond to it accordingly and with good reason.
Give me a break. Fox News is a one-way communication media, and they don't respond with profanity when they invite guests for a debate. Don't compare apples and oranges. What users like Sieben and co. did in discussions was to make their opponent go totally defensive in personal terms, because all they did was to attack the opponent's characters. That contributed to such rage on this site that we all now celebrate their exit. Things have improved a lot since then.

Profanity should be restricted, and anyone who cannot behave decently on this site should not get decent treatment either.
inferno
Posts: 10,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:34:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 12:29:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:26:19 PM, inferno wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:24:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:21:59 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I disagree with anything that restricts your right to speak in any forum.
It is equally rude to silence people you disagree with.
Not at all. Those who are constantly rude push away those who can behave well. They should be punished so that more productive talk comes to light.

You're essentially saying that if someone spams the forums with nonsensical and rude posts so that one can hardly see what others are writing, he should still not be silenced. You're dead wrong.

It depends on your definition of productive. Fox News is not really the typical standard news format. It is opinions, talking points, and bull crap rhetoric.
But, people still respond to it accordingly and with good reason.
Give me a break. Fox News is a one-way communication media, and they don't respond with profanity when they invite guests for a debate. Don't compare apples and oranges. What users like Sieben and co. did in discussions was to make their opponent go totally defensive in personal terms, because all they did was to attack the opponent's characters. That contributed to such rage on this site that we all now celebrate their exit. Things have improved a lot since then.

Profanity should be restricted, and anyone who cannot behave decently on this site should not get decent treatment either.

Fox News does not have to use profanity. But the vitriol and politcal dissent is just as bad if not worse. Anyway, we all have the right to use or say anything here on this forum. Now if it goes beyond, then we have a right to also correct that individual as this place has rules and regulations that should be followed. However, most of them are broken daily. And in turn that creates an atmosphere and outlet that gives us the ability to express ourselves in a discourse of disrespect. There is no real legislation or police patrol calling the shots here. We have freedom of speech and it should be used with caution. Abuse is never tolerated theoretically speaking. But it is a necessary evil that is reluctantly accepted.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:40:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 12:34:11 PM, inferno wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:29:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:26:19 PM, inferno wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:24:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:21:59 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I disagree with anything that restricts your right to speak in any forum.
It is equally rude to silence people you disagree with.
Not at all. Those who are constantly rude push away those who can behave well. They should be punished so that more productive talk comes to light.

You're essentially saying that if someone spams the forums with nonsensical and rude posts so that one can hardly see what others are writing, he should still not be silenced. You're dead wrong.

It depends on your definition of productive. Fox News is not really the typical standard news format. It is opinions, talking points, and bull crap rhetoric.
But, people still respond to it accordingly and with good reason.
Give me a break. Fox News is a one-way communication media, and they don't respond with profanity when they invite guests for a debate. Don't compare apples and oranges. What users like Sieben and co. did in discussions was to make their opponent go totally defensive in personal terms, because all they did was to attack the opponent's characters. That contributed to such rage on this site that we all now celebrate their exit. Things have improved a lot since then.

Profanity should be restricted, and anyone who cannot behave decently on this site should not get decent treatment either.

Fox News does not have to use profanity. But the vitriol and politcal dissent is just as bad if not worse.
It's not worse at all. It does not hinder a proper debate from taking place.

Anyway, we all have the right to use or say anything here on this forum.
No we don't. We don't have the right to threaten others, for instance.

Now if it goes beyond, then we have a right to also correct that individual as this place has rules and regulations that should be followed.
Hasn't worked. Care to provide a solution to DDO? We'd all thank you.

However, most of them are broken daily. And in turn that creates an atmosphere and outlet that gives us the ability to express ourselves in a discourse of disrespect. There is no real legislation or police patrol calling the shots here. We have freedom of speech and it should be used with caution. Abuse is never tolerated theoretically speaking. But it is a necessary evil that is reluctantly accepted.
You understand that freedom of speech in a public property place =/= freedom of speech in privately owned areas? I can restrict whatever words I wish to if some property is owned by me. DDO is not owned by the government, and rules restricting freedom of speech to a certain extent are more than welcome. Threats and harassments should not be unrestricted. Neither should profanity.
inferno
Posts: 10,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:48:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 12:40:44 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:34:11 PM, inferno wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:29:17 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:26:19 PM, inferno wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:24:20 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:21:59 PM, Gileandos wrote:
I disagree with anything that restricts your right to speak in any forum.
It is equally rude to silence people you disagree with.
Not at all. Those who are constantly rude push away those who can behave well. They should be punished so that more productive talk comes to light.

You're essentially saying that if someone spams the forums with nonsensical and rude posts so that one can hardly see what others are writing, he should still not be silenced. You're dead wrong.

It depends on your definition of productive. Fox News is not really the typical standard news format. It is opinions, talking points, and bull crap rhetoric.
But, people still respond to it accordingly and with good reason.
Give me a break. Fox News is a one-way communication media, and they don't respond with profanity when they invite guests for a debate. Don't compare apples and oranges. What users like Sieben and co. did in discussions was to make their opponent go totally defensive in personal terms, because all they did was to attack the opponent's characters. That contributed to such rage on this site that we all now celebrate their exit. Things have improved a lot since then.

Profanity should be restricted, and anyone who cannot behave decently on this site should not get decent treatment either.

Fox News does not have to use profanity. But the vitriol and politcal dissent is just as bad if not worse.
It's not worse at all. It does not hinder a proper debate from taking place.

Anyway, we all have the right to use or say anything here on this forum.
No we don't. We don't have the right to threaten others, for instance.

Now if it goes beyond, then we have a right to also correct that individual as this place has rules and regulations that should be followed.
Hasn't worked. Care to provide a solution to DDO? We'd all thank you.

However, most of them are broken daily. And in turn that creates an atmosphere and outlet that gives us the ability to express ourselves in a discourse of disrespect. There is no real legislation or police patrol calling the shots here. We have freedom of speech and it should be used with caution. Abuse is never tolerated theoretically speaking. But it is a necessary evil that is reluctantly accepted.
You understand that freedom of speech in a public property place =/= freedom of speech in privately owned areas? I can restrict whatever words I wish to if some property is owned by me. DDO is not owned by the government, and rules restricting freedom of speech to a certain extent are more than welcome. Threats and harassments should not be unrestricted. Neither should profanity.

People use profanity here all the time. So youre just wasting your time on that one my friend. I know that you cannot make threats here either. That would go under extreme and unecessary conduct. But anyway, who cares. Unless you are not living in the real world, then you probably are just a naive soul.
This is the way it is. So dont take it so seriously. That is how I look at things here.
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 12:51:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 12:48:51 PM, inferno wrote:
People use profanity here all the time. So youre just wasting your time on that one my friend. I know that you cannot make threats here either. That would go under extreme and unecessary conduct. But anyway, who cares. Unless you are not living in the real world, then you probably are just a naive soul.
This is the way it is. So dont take it so seriously. That is how I look at things here.
Next time you're welcome just avoiding to reply, since you apparently avoid all of my points. By the way, I might waste my time stating the obvious about people here using profanity, but maybe it will encourage the mods to suspend such people? After all, restricting profanity will hardly lead to anything negative. Not restricting it has done much negative already.
inferno
Posts: 10,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 1:04:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 12:51:34 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/1/2011 12:48:51 PM, inferno wrote:
People use profanity here all the time. So youre just wasting your time on that one my friend. I know that you cannot make threats here either. That would go under extreme and unecessary conduct. But anyway, who cares. Unless you are not living in the real world, then you probably are just a naive soul.
This is the way it is. So dont take it so seriously. That is how I look at things here.
Next time you're welcome just avoiding to reply, since you apparently avoid all of my points. By the way, I might waste my time stating the obvious about people here using profanity, but maybe it will encourage the mods to suspend such people? After all, restricting profanity will hardly lead to anything negative. Not restricting it has done much negative already.

AGAIN. You have missed the point. This is part of our culture abroad, and it is part of the culture here at Debate.org. This will never change, so why even bother.
The Mods encourage this stuff, because it gives the sight flexibility and an edge.
This is what people want, so they deliver. It goes beyond fanaticism my friend.
It is reality. So what world are you living in ? If you dont like the profanity infested atmosphere here. Then I have a suggestion to give you on a silver platter.
Go elsewhere. =)
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2011 11:55:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 1:04:27 PM, inferno wrote:
AGAIN. You have missed the point. This is part of our culture abroad, and it is part of the culture here at Debate.org. This will never change, so why even bother.

What is your basis for saying that it's impossible to implement a simple system of concealing posts identified as not contibuting to the discussion. Other sites do it, so why is it impossible here?

The Mods encourage this stuff, because it gives the sight flexibility and an edge.

Cite the evidence that it's encouraged. I see none. It's just too much work to police any but the worst offenders. It isn't edgy, is juvenile.

This is what people want, so they deliver. It goes beyond fanaticism my friend.
It is reality. So what world are you living in ? If you dont like the profanity infested atmosphere here. Then I have a suggestion to give you on a silver platter.
Go elsewhere. =)

It's a private site, so it can be made anything the owners want it to be, within the limits of implementation cost. There are forums on the internet that have user moderators that keep things civil, and they do quite well. There is no reason to believe civility is impossible.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,965
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/2/2011 12:05:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 10:45:59 AM, drafterman wrote:

Words are wind.

Are you a ASoIaF fan?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
inferno
Posts: 10,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 8:03:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/1/2011 11:55:16 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 12/1/2011 1:04:27 PM, inferno wrote:
AGAIN. You have missed the point. This is part of our culture abroad, and it is part of the culture here at Debate.org. This will never change, so why even bother.

What is your basis for saying that it's impossible to implement a simple system of concealing posts identified as not contibuting to the discussion. Other sites do it, so why is it impossible here?

The Mods encourage this stuff, because it gives the sight flexibility and an edge.

Cite the evidence that it's encouraged. I see none. It's just too much work to police any but the worst offenders. It isn't edgy, is juvenile.

This is what people want, so they deliver. It goes beyond fanaticism my friend.
It is reality. So what world are you living in ? If you dont like the profanity infested atmosphere here. Then I have a suggestion to give you on a silver platter.
Go elsewhere. =)

It's a private site, so it can be made anything the owners want it to be, within the limits of implementation cost. There are forums on the internet that have user moderators that keep things civil, and they do quite well. There is no reason to believe civility is impossible.

Just read between the lines sir. Everything is not scientic. Some things are just obvious.
inferno
Posts: 10,852
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 8:04:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
But with Izbo ranting and raving about those who associate here, it is nothing more than entertainment to some. That includes, me. =)