Jump to topic:

Are you Intelligent?

deamonomic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 4:45:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hi all. I wanted to make a thread to discuss the Topic of "Are you Intelligent". what I want out of this topic more so then a simply yes or no is, the why do you think so? what factors do you attribute to it? and so on.

The reason I made this topic is because sometimes when I'm sitting there analyzing my reactions and motives for those reactions, the Question pops up in my head "Are you Intelligent". In my case I respond with "I would like to say that I am, but I am at least smart enough to realize that just because I want it to be so doesn't mean it is."

As for what factor do i attribute to an Intelligent individual? Its less about How much you know, Its more about how you use what you know, and how quickly you learn. I also think that it is not up to the individual themselves to decide whether or not they are truly Intelligent as Ego often gets in the way.

So i end my post with the question, Do you guys think that I am an Intelligent Individual?
I would gladly lose a million times over then win by cheating once.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 4:56:44 PM
I do believe I am intelligent, at least far more than the majority of my school.

The easy part is becoming intelligent, then you have to translate intelligence to wisdom.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 5:17:21 PM
I'm quite good at abstract thinking and armchair philosophizing.

But when it comes to street smarts, sense of direction, and long and short term memory, I am less than impressive (unless the memory involves the above concepts).
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 5:17:26 PM
At 12/3/2011 4:56:44 PM, MasterKage wrote:
I do believe I am intelligent, at least far more than the majority of my school.

The easy part is becoming intelligent, then you have to translate intelligence to wisdom.
I hope you understand that intelligence is not something you gain, like knowledge.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 10:43:16 PM
It depends on who I am hanging around with. When I am with true intellectuals, I feel like I am keeping up but just barely, when I hang out with idiots they think I am a genius.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 11:20:06 PM
At 12/3/2011 10:43:16 PM, BennyW wrote:
It depends on who I am hanging around with. When I am with true intellectuals, I feel like I am keeping up but just barely, when I hang out with idiots they think I am a genius.

I second this description of if I think of myself as intelligent.

most of the time though I would consider myself intelligent by the close to the same standards that makes me think of anyone else as intelligent even if they have very different views than me.

Intelligent people are often well read on intelligent kinds of books. dumb people if they read at all are only well read on non-intelligent books.

Intelligent people are registered to vote, dumb people are not and only buy newspapers for the cupons.

Intellegent people actually try to respond to your arguments on a point by point basis even if they think your position is a dumb on to have, dumb people would just call it dumb and insult you.

Intellegent people do not live paycheck to paycheck, dumb people never invest or save. dumb peoples idea of 'investing' and 'retirment fund' is a Powerball ticket. Smart people at the very least have a savings account with actual money in it.

you will find both dumb and smart people in the theaters watching 'the muppets' but you will only find smart people there watching 'J Edgar'

Also (this is just a personal observation dont get mad people) I find smart people will like 'Star Trek' often and dumb people never like star trek however they might like 'Star Wars' (smart people can like starwars too, but dumb people can only like this one between the two)

If a smart person say's he was just reading some comics, he probably was talking about the kind of thing written by people like Grant Morrison

If a dumb person say's he was just reading some comics, he probably was not talking about stuff like that but rather meant something written by Jim Davis (again smart people can read this stuff too if they want but you get my point)
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/3/2011 11:38:42 PM
Depends on the sense.

History-smart
math-average
english-depends
science-average
IQ-overaverage (dont know the exact but it is over 115 because I got into a school that required at least 115 and they said I passed by huge margins)
politics-great
economics-depends on the viewpoint of other people
face-toface debates-great
online debate-average
Spelling-terrible
art-terrible
photography-good
spanish-understand it all, write it well, cant speak it with fluency, but proficiency
German-learning process
writing-kinda bland but it works

So overall I am considered over average intelligence. But 3 of my teachers say I am the smartest kid in the grade. Don't know if that count's since I go to one of the best schools in the country.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2011 2:15:54 AM
I prefer debate.org to facebook.

I have seen every episode of Star Trek TNG and Voyager.

I actually checked my schedule to see if I was working during the Presidential address to Congress.

I'd rather spend my time creating elaborate programs with MS Excel then playing video games.

I guess this all makes me a nerd. Nerds are normally intelligent. Good enough.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/4/2011 5:00:03 AM
No, not really. compared to the average DDO member.

But I would become your new best friend if we were in a bar fight, or lost in the woods or if something broke.

I don't read much. I don't give a damn if reality is real or not, the sun feels good on a cool morning on the lake while fishing. If its really there or not doesn't concern me.

I don't care for theoretical sciences, the good ol fashioned practical science fascinated me.

I hate math.

But if you find yourself on a bass boat or in a deer stand I can be very useful. If your debating the plausibility of space time travel you better get someone else. If you need to run a fence row or field dress a deer then I'm your man.

If you want to discuss Cartesian Dualism you might as well talk to the wall over there. If the heat or AC went out in your ride I could hook you up.

But overall I would not consider myself intelligent when compared to the average DDO member.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 8:39:30 PM
Hard to say? I have an above average IQ? 4.0?

Honestly I don't really know how much that matters or if it means anything to begin with.

I've met a lot of smart people and a lot of dumb people.

I guess it depends on your definition of intelligence. But I'd have to say that I'm certainly not stupid.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Defensor-of-Apollo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 9:20:42 PM
Intelligence can be described as your ability to reason and gain knowledge. [1] Knowledge as a collection of facts or truths or perceptions. [2]

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com...

It is important to point out that it it possible to be dumb and knowledgeable just as it is possible to be intelligent and ignorant.

I have a love for knowledge and understanding, but that does not make me knowledgeable or intelligent.

I could compare myself to my classmates, but are my classmates standard for knowledge or intelligence? Is Hitler standard for crime? I must compare myself to something of perfect standard to receive a true measure of intelligence.

What would this perfect standard be? The only plausible answer I see fit is God. However, how do I compare?

It would be best not to say, "I am intelligent." As that would imply measuring up against a perfect standard. The best way would be to describe the comparison. Consider the word have as in "to have to."

"I have to feed my dog." Why do you have to? There is always an implied reason. In this case it might be to obey one's parents.

"I have to eat." In this phrase, there is also an implied reason. It might be to satisfy hunger or to live.

Intelligence is the same way. However, we shouldn't simply leave it up to implication. As what is our measure of intelligence? There is none really, therefore it should be on a comparative basis. "I am the most intelligent in my class." For me, I would consider that a true statement.

That may not say too much as there are only roughly one hundred students in my class.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 9:58:14 PM
I WISH I was intelligent. I personally don't consider myself to be that intelligent objectively.

But, as Benny said, it all depends on your company. When I'm with some people, I feel subpar in intelligence (for instance, here, in some respect.) But, at the same time, when I'm with other people I feel like the smartest man alive.

But, to alter to the question to if I'm a nerd, well:

-I'm in love with Shakespeare; I once reenacted Macbeth one night because I was bored.
-I love theatre in general.
-Love creative writing.
-Love the arts in general.
-Am an avid internet-goer.
-Am an avid video game player (especially Assassin's Creed).
-I'm a DDO-holic.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
championyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 6:10:10 AM
From my point of view, I don't think that it needs evidences to affirm the intelligence.Maybe the IQ test is a kind of standard.BUT It doesn't matter whether you have reach the so-called "genius" level or not. And people with wisdom do not always argue with others for how smart they are. And I am for sure that capacity can be seen day by day when you are endeavouring to make yourself stand out in certain position.