Jump to topic:

Verification

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 4:00:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I would love to be able to vote on debates, but I am uncomfortable posting my cell phone number on the internet. Is there any other way that we can permit others to vote? I am not sure that I even understand the logic behind the need for cell phone verification; it cannot be an anti-troll measure because trolls can easily use their phones and spam votebombs. Can we use alternate means of verification?

I will vote for any presidential candidate who supports alternative forms of verification.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 4:01:22 PM
At 12/5/2011 4:00:26 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
I would love to be able to vote on debates, but I am uncomfortable posting my cell phone number on the internet. Is there any other way that we can permit others to vote? I am not sure that I even understand the logic behind the need for cell phone verification; it cannot be an anti-troll measure because trolls can easily use their phones and spam votebombs. Can we use alternate means of verification?

I will vote for any presidential candidate who supports alternative forms of verification.

Complete three debates then come back and ask.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 4:10:09 PM

As seeing as this is only your second post in the forums and already talking about the DDO election (which many members that have been here for months are PMing me questions about), I find it hard to believe that you are not an account of another member.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 4:15:11 PM
Yeah I think the rule is stupid too
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 4:40:10 PM

As president, I would eliminate the phone number requirement... vote for me!
President of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:02:18 PM
At 12/5/2011 4:40:10 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

I am actually undecided on who I am gonna vote for, I don't know much about the candidates, but I supported innomen in the polls, but you said that and I might vote for you now because that is a big issue for me, because i am verified, but hate hate rule.
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:02:26 PM

JimTimmy, the voice for the trolls, spammers, and votebombers.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:04:50 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:02:18 PM, 16kadams wrote:

I am actually undecided on who I am gonna vote for, I don't know much about the candidates, but I supported innomen in the polls, but you said that and I might vote for you now because that is a big issue for me, because i am verified, but hate hate rule.

It really is a terrible rule... I am verified as well, but it took me a while because I felt uncomfortable giving my phone number to an internet site
President of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:14:14 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:04:50 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

It really is a terrible rule... I am verified as well, but it took me a while because I felt uncomfortable giving my phone number to an internet site

The only good thing about it is that it can limit the amount of 2 accounts, b/c you cant vote for yourself if you make a second one because if you use the same phone it doesn't let you most likely. Or at least that's what I think it probably does.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:14:58 PM
At 12/5/2011 4:10:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

As seeing as this is only your second post in the forums and already talking about the DDO election (which many members that have been here for months are PMing me questions about), I find it hard to believe that you are not an account of another member.

I deactivated my previous account (lddebater540). If this is unacceptable, I will be happy to deactivate this one and return to the previous one.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:16:44 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:14:58 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I deactivated my previous account (lddebater540). If this is unacceptable, I will be happy to deactivate this one and return to the previous one.

It's not unacceptable, but why? Why did you get rid of one account just to create another?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:17:31 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:16:44 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 12/5/2011 5:14:58 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

It's not unacceptable, but why? Why did you get rid of one account just to create another?

I was upset with the way some of my previous debates had been treated and had been away from the site for a few months. Hence, I wanted a fresh start.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:20:05 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:14:14 PM, 16kadams wrote:

The only good thing about it is that it can limit the amount of 2 accounts, b/c you cant vote for yourself if you make a second one because if you use the same phone it doesn't let you most likely. Or at least that's what I think it probably does.

That is the idea behind the verification... but it doesn't seem at all like the best way to do it...

Some people don't even have cell phones... and many more don't feel confortable giving theirs out voluntarily...

IP checks for suspected multi accounters seem much more practical
President of DDO
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:21:51 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:20:05 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

That is the idea behind the verification... but it doesn't seem at all like the best way to do it...

Some people don't even have cell phones... and many more don't feel confortable giving theirs out voluntarily...

The IP checks are an excellent idea, especially since someone can easily obtain multiple disposable cell phones. There was a debater who multiaccounted and voted for himself a few months ago using this method.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:23:13 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:21:51 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

The IP checks are an excellent idea, especially since someone can easily obtain multiple disposable cell phones. There was a debater who multiaccounted and voted for himself a few months ago using this method.

Ya, it is a highly flawed system.
President of DDO
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:23:30 PM

Ore_ele, the election is all over the forums, its not hard to believe that a new member would figure out that the community is to vote on something. Plus, virtually every new member complains about the verification requirements. I remember I did too.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:25:23 PM

Getting multiple IP addresses is far easier than getting multiple cell phone numbers. I can get a new IP at nearly every public access hot spot (library, coffee shop, college campus, work, etc). I can also go to the library and get a new account for every free access computer that they have. Not to mention you can access proxy servers for free online, so you basically get unlimited accounts without having to even get out of your chair.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:26:37 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:25:23 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Getting multiple IP addresses is far easier than getting multiple cell phone numbers. I can get a new IP at nearly every public access hot spot (library, coffee shop, college campus, work, etc). I can also go to the library and get a new account for every free access computer that they have. Not to mention you can access proxy servers for free online, so you basically get unlimited accounts without having to even get out of your chair.

The whole cell phone thing reminds me of the excess airport security...

It does a lot to annoy and make uncomfortable regular, good airline flyers... and the real dangers, terrorists, could easily find a way around it
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:29:19 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:26:37 PM, jimtimmy wrote:

The whole cell phone thing reminds me of the excess airport security...

It does a lot to annoy and make uncomfortable regular, good airline flyers... and the real dangers, terrorists, could easily find a way around it

Are you suggesting that we shouldn't bother unless we can ensure 100% success?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:29:23 PM

Fair enough. However, Juggle still resorts to IP checks in cases of multi-accounting, and because people have multi-accounted and voted for themselves in the past, we know that people are obtaining disposable, pre-paid (most likely Net10 or Tracphone) cellphones. If we are going to resort to IP checks anyways, why can we not use them for verification at the beginning of the process?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:31:14 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:29:23 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Fair enough. However, Juggle still resorts to IP checks in cases of multi-accounting, and because people have multi-accounted and voted for themselves in the past, we know that people are obtaining disposable, pre-paid (most likely Net10 or Tracphone) cellphones. If we are going to resort to IP checks anyways, why can we not use them for verification at the beginning of the process?

Because a multiple check system is more accurate than a single check system.

These people are actually likely getting their friends numbers. Eventually, they'll run out of friends, but they'll never run out of proxies. I doubt anyone has actually forked over money for a new number just to vote bomb.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:34:51 PM
And yet, the mutlple checks system rarely functions as expected since people easily avoid it. Moreover, people like "no no" and askbob have been caught making new accounts even after they used proxies. So, there are alternative means of verification already. This would just remove a requirement that is irritating and ineffective.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:35:47 PM
Moreover, I would say that this practice is discriminatory because individuals from a low socio-economic background may not have access to cellphones and therefore cannot become full members of the community.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:36:18 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:35:47 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Moreover, I would say that this practice is discriminatory because individuals from a low socio-economic background may not have access to cellphones and therefore cannot become full members of the community.

This is one of the key reasons why the cell phone requirement makes so little sense.
President of DDO
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:41:06 PM
I'm sorry, an IP check?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:41:09 PM

We also discriminate against people that don't have internet access.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:41:21 PM
what is an IP check
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:42:35 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:41:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Discrimination in one instance does not justify discrimination in another instance. That is like saying, "Oh, we jail African Americans unfairly, so we should jail Asian Americans for no reason as well." Injstices are injustices even if they have a history of occurring.
jimtimmy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 5:42:39 PM
At 12/5/2011 5:41:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Of course, people have to have internet acces... But, unlike that, this is not a necessary condition...
President of DDO