Jump to topic:

Morality? Really? Debate Tournament.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 4:30:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Basically, I want to set up a tournament for debates. Very simply, it is one where we have the recurring theme of morality. The topics will be concise and specific, and will be easy enough for one to argue both sides (using my objective opinion *attempt at a joke*).

If you want to have a go, simply state so. I will create a few possible topics, ending in a final list of possibilities, for people to debate.

Also, each possible topic will be split into two, of which either can be chosen. Simply, you get given a number, and you choose a letter. In ties, I will decide.

1a - Shakespeare presents leaders in his works as immoral.
1b - Leaders must sometimes forgo the punishment of wrongdoers in order to gain lasting peace.

2a - Abortion is a morally reprehensible act
2b - The use of Napalm, including Napalm B, Super-Napalm, is morally wrong to use in Vietnam.

3a - Euthanasia is morally acceptable.
3b - "When suicide is out of fashion we conclude that none but madmen destroy themselves"(Hume, On Suicide) This quotation is incorrect.

4a - A minarchist government is morally
4b - "Virtue is under certain circumstances merely an honorable form of stupidity". (Nietzsche, The Will to Power). This quotation is true.

Simple enough, yes?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 7:07:02 PM
Uh.. i hate morality but i would really want to participate in it. Unfortunately I have two other debates. :(
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Raisor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 7:40:57 PM
I would be interested in participating but I absolutely cannot commit to anything until my semester ends on Dec. 15th.

Additionally, some of the wording in your Resolutions is problematic. I would suggest revising or picking new ones to make the topics fair.
Chuz-Life
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/5/2011 8:37:39 PM
At 12/5/2011 7:07:02 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
Uh.. i hate morality but i would really want to participate in it. Unfortunately I have two other debates. :(

Yeah. What Lord said^^
"Sooner or later, the Supreme Court of the Unites States is going to have explain how a 'child in the womb' is a person enough to be recognized as a MURDER victim under our fetal homicide laws but how they are not persons enough to qualify for any other Constitutional protections" ~ Chuz Life

http://www.debate.org...
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:16:18 PM
I might actually be interested as long as we start at the middle of next week
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 5:10:20 PM
At 12/5/2011 4:30:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Basically, I want to set up a tournament for debates. Very simply, it is one where we have the recurring theme of morality. The topics will be concise and specific, and will be easy enough for one to argue both sides (using my objective opinion *attempt at a joke*).

If you want to have a go, simply state so. I will create a few possible topics, ending in a final list of possibilities, for people to debate.

Also, each possible topic will be split into two, of which either can be chosen. Simply, you get given a number, and you choose a letter. In ties, I will decide.

1a - Shakespeare presents royal leaders in his works as immoral.
1b - Leaders must sometimes forgo the punishment of wrongdoers in order to gain lasting peace.

2b - The use of Napalm, including Napalm B, Super-Napalm, was morally wrong to use in the majority of cases of implementation in Vietnam.

3b - "When suicide is out of fashion we conclude that none but madmen destroy themselves"(Hume, On Suicide)

4a - A minarchist government is morally justified.
4b - "Virtue is under certain circumstances merely an honorable form of stupidity". (Nietzsche, The Will to Power).

Firstly, which ones of these are problematic now I've revised them?

Secondly, I'll add people who already said "yes" to the list tomorrow, but if you want to join, add your name to this list:

1. Stephen_Hawkins
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 5:58:22 PM
1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Lordknukle- The use of Napalm, including Napalm B, Super-Napalm, was morally wrong to use in the majority of cases of implementation in Vietnam. (CON)

However, I do wish that the resolution was reworded to " The use of Napalm, including Napalm B, Super-Napalm, was morally wrong to use in Vietnam".
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 6:05:30 PM
Scratch that. Im not gonna participate.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 11:45:21 AM
I'm unclear on these two:

3b - "When suicide is out of fashion we conclude that none but madmen destroy themselves"(Hume, On Suicide)

4a - A minarchist government is morally justified.

I don't see anything to debate about 3b. It seems to say that people opposed to suicide are opposed to suicide. Where's the Con side of that?

Would I be supporting 4a if I claimed that some government is justified, so even minarchist goverment is justified? Or would Pro be expected to argue that minarchist government is better, or at least as good as, bigger government?
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 1:45:21 PM
At 12/7/2011 11:45:21 AM, wiploc wrote:
I'm unclear on these two:

3b - "If suicide be supposed a crime, 'tis only cowardice can impel us to it. If it be no crime, both prudence and courage should engage us to rid ourselves at once of existence, when it becomes a burden."(Hume, On Suicide) -- In recognition of this quote, does the illegality of an action make the action immoral?

4a - A minarchist government is morally superior to that of competing governments (which do not presuppose a perfect society, such as utopian societies).

I don't see anything to debate about 3b. It seems to say that people opposed to suicide are opposed to suicide. Where's the Con side of that?

Would I be supporting 4a if I claimed that some government is justified, so even minarchist goverment is justified? Or would Pro be expected to argue that minarchist government is better, or at least as good as, bigger government?

Quote 3b is about saying when suicide is seen as wrong, no-one will kill themselves. Or, when things are seen as wrong, they are wrong in the community. I see the problem with this, and I am now using a slightly different quote to make the meaning clearer. With 4a, I am changing it to make it a lot clearer, and that should address it more clearly.

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 1:47:47 PM

2b - The use of Napalm, including Napalm B, Super-Napalm, is morally wrong to use in Vietnam.

3b - "If suicide be supposed a crime, 'tis only cowardice can impel us to it. If it be no crime, both prudence and courage should engage us to rid ourselves at once of existence, when it becomes a burden."(Hume, On Suicide) -- In recognition of this quote, does the illegality of an action make the action immoral?

4a - A minarchist government is morally superior to that of competing governments (which do not presuppose a perfect society, such as utopian societies).
4b - "Virtue is under certain circumstances [are] merely an honorable form of stupidity". (Nietzsche, The Will to Power). This quotation is true.

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 1:58:58 PM
Actually, I'll do the napalm debate as soon as my Gadaffi debate is over. I'll give u a PM. SHouldn't be too long. I'll be Pro.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 7:07:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I love morality, I'm in.

P.S. I'm sure we are randomly assigned numbers, but if we get to pick, I'd love to debate 3b assuming another debater is interested.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 7:08:27 PM
1. Stephen_Hawkins
7. Mestari
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 8:29:48 PM

Don't know anything about Shakespeare except that he's hard to read, but I'm sure I can find two leaders in his works who are presented in a manner such that we are intended to think they are immoral. Not the prince in Romeo (though he may be amoral) or Denzel Washington in Ado, but I'm sure I could find enough to justify the plural, "leaders."

In fact, even Iago had followers, which makes him a leader.

I can argue Pro on this one.

I can go Pro on this one, which is pretty much the same as 4b. Only Rorschach http://www.imdb.com... would disagree.

I'm Con.

Con.

Pro. I'm suicidal myself, once I get old enough. Anybody with a right to live has a right to die.

No idea what this is about.

Con.

4b - "Virtue is under certain circumstances [are] merely an honorable form of stupidity". (Nietzsche, The Will to Power). This quotation is true.

Not being Rorschach, I'm Pro.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 8:36:25 PM
At 12/8/2011 8:29:48 PM, wiploc wrote:

Con.

Oops, sorry, I'm Pro.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 9:38:27 PM
At 12/8/2011 8:36:25 PM, wiploc wrote:

Con.

Oops, sorry, I'm Pro.

We could do that one.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 10:00:57 PM
At 12/5/2011 7:40:57 PM, Raisor wrote:
I would be interested in participating but I absolutely cannot commit to anything until my semester ends on Dec. 15th.

This. Possibly even a little after... but not long after...
President of DDO
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 11:06:22 PM
At 12/8/2011 9:38:27 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Con.

Oops, sorry, I'm Pro.

We could do that one.

Okay.

I assume we want past tense: "It was immoral of the United States to use napalm (including napalm B, super napalm) in Vietnam."
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2011 12:47:45 PM
At 12/9/2011 11:06:22 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 12/8/2011 9:38:27 PM, Lordknukle wrote:

Con.

Oops, sorry, I'm Pro.

We could do that one.

Okay.

I assume we want past tense: "It was immoral of the United States to use napalm (including napalm B, super napalm) in Vietnam."

-_- yes, it was. That's what I meant.

Anyone actually wanting to do this?

Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/10/2011 1:48:46 PM
At 12/10/2011 1:43:16 PM, wiploc wrote:
I'm in if Lordknukle is.

2 or 3 rounds, 72 hour turns, 1 or 2 week voting period?

3 rounds. 72h. 1 week. 8k chars.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 11:54:16 PM
At 12/10/2011 1:48:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I'm in if Lordknukle is.

Okay, I'm signing up:

1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Wiploc
7. Mestari
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/12/2011 11:41:44 AM
At 12/11/2011 11:54:16 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 12/10/2011 1:48:46 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
I'm in if Lordknukle is.

Okay, I'm signing up:

1. Stephen_Hawkins
2. Wiploc
7. Mestari

3. LK