Jump to topic:

Access to Drinking Water (Spring UIL)

BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 12:51:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Resolved: Access to drinking water ought to be valued as a human right instead of as commodity."

This is the Spring UIL LD debate topic for 2012. I personally like it a lot, but it seems so strange as far as LD resolutions go. It doesn't seem like two sides are in opposition as is so commonly done in LD. Instead, it seems more as if the area of clash is multifaceted between human rights, commodity, and ought. It's still early for the topic's release in general, so i would be lying if I said my analysis of it was too in-depth, but I want to know what you guys think of it.
The reason I like this topic as much as I do, is that I can see so many different possible angles it could take. Capitol Punishment (which was the last topic) peaked after about 5 or so rounds. At the end of it all, I was utterly sick of talking about it.

I've gotten a few ideas for NEG but none for AFF.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 2:19:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 12:51:48 PM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:
"Resolved: Access to drinking water ought to be valued as a human right instead of as commodity."

This is the Spring UIL LD debate topic for 2012. I personally like it a lot, but it seems so strange as far as LD resolutions go. It doesn't seem like two sides are in opposition as is so commonly done in LD. Instead, it seems more as if the area of clash is multifaceted between human rights, commodity, and ought. It's still early for the topic's release in general, so i would be lying if I said my analysis of it was too in-depth, but I want to know what you guys think of it.
The reason I like this topic as much as I do, is that I can see so many different possible angles it could take. Capitol Punishment (which was the last topic) peaked after about 5 or so rounds. At the end of it all, I was utterly sick of talking about it.

I never did UIL LD, but I did compete in NFL LD. I am surprised, quite frankly, that you have no arguments for Aff; it is clearly the stronger position. Would you like to debate this?
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 1:02:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 2:19:20 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 12/6/2011 12:51:48 PM, BangBang-Coconut wrote:

I never did UIL LD, but I did compete in NFL LD. I am surprised, quite frankly, that you have no arguments for Aff; it is clearly the stronger position. Would you like to debate this?

Yeah I agree, it does seem like AFF is an easier position to argue. But that doesn't me any in actually establishing argument for it. It just seems as though NEG arguments make more sense to me based on the wording of the resolution.

Yes, I'd love to debate you. Go ahead and challenge me.