Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 5:52:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
After 41 votes, the three winners are:

Update Big Issues List
Team Debates
Tournament System

However, if you add up the votes for various vote-bombing solutions (Re-open vote bombed debates, report votes, and changing the number of points awarded) then that becomes the most popular.

So the 4 most popular site changes are:

Fixing vote bombing
Updating the Big Issues
Coding a team debate function
Coding a tournament system

There needs to be further discussion on which vote bombing option should be pursued. I know it's most controversial, but only being able to award a fixed quantity of points (say one or 5) to the winner would probably be the easiest to code and quickest fix. If college debate coaches are able to factor in all the factors (grammar, sources, conduct and arguments) when casting their decision for one person (or team), it seems we should be able to do that as well. And if all people's votes counted *equally,* vote bombing would not be very effective.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 10:46:55 PM
At 12/13/2011 5:52:52 PM, bluesteel wrote:
After 41 votes, the three winners are:

Update Big Issues List
Team Debates
Tournament System

However, if you add up the votes for various vote-bombing solutions (Re-open vote bombed debates, report votes, and changing the number of points awarded) then that becomes the most popular.

So the 4 most popular site changes are:

Fixing vote bombing
Updating the Big Issues
Coding a team debate function
Coding a tournament system

There needs to be further discussion on which vote bombing option should be pursued. I know it's most controversial, but only being able to award a fixed quantity of points (say one or 5) to the winner would probably be the easiest to code and quickest fix. If college debate coaches are able to factor in all the factors (grammar, sources, conduct and arguments) when casting their decision for one person (or team), it seems we should be able to do that as well. And if all people's votes counted *equally,* vote bombing would not be very effective.

...Hmm. One seems ideal to me...

And Team Debate seems awesome...Except we wouldn't have Cross X...
^Perhaps a chat box with a timer going down?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 10:48:28 PM
Cant wait to see the new Big issues :D
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 11:29:48 PM
At 12/13/2011 10:48:28 PM, imabench wrote:
Cant wait to see the new Big issues :D

That is if anyone decides to update them....Hopefully Juggle will :D
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 12:25:02 AM
Innomen said there was something really complicated about the way the big issues were coded, which is why it'd be hard to update. Still, it was the #1 thing on my list ahead of team debates.