Jump to topic:

Thank you everyone

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:01:05 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me, and even those who did not. It would be a little disappointing to have no opposition on a debate site.

Moving forward there will be some changes in both the site's technical offering, and how we will work together as a community.

It is my goal to increase the site's management to actual members of the site. I must convey that Juggle has actually reduced it's already small commitment to DDO, but with a vague promise there will be more support to us in the future. I intend on a relentless pursuit of improving the partnership that I have already established with Juggle to achieve the ends we all want to see.

I do indeed promise to not run again, but I also ask that after this 6 month term ends we look for the term to last one year. Previously the thinking was the presidency was an unimportant job, and the election was a popularity contest. I'd like to think that I have changed both of those contentions, and because there is real gravity to the position of President, a 6 month term is unnecessarily disruptive to the site and to the administration. During the next 6 months I will be looking for someone to take my place, and I would endorse that person, and ideally hand over my mod abilities, and provide a full introduction and recommendation to Juggle.

I'd also like to consider having a committee that would look at various infractions to what we would consider appropriate conduct on DDO, and within the DDO community. This committee could formulate an informal and non binding bill of rights for the membership. At this point this is completely conceptual, so it's actual application and the implications therein may preclude anything here.

I'm a big believer in trial and error. There is so little to lose here, so ideas should be considered and tried where feasible and appropriate, so I count on the members of this site to continue to provide the input that they already do.

I'd like to also express my sincere gratitude for the support and respect that I have been shown continually on DDO. We're a funny little place, where we can suit up in full body armor and enter into battle on one forum, and be posting some of the funniest and most clever arguments on the Internet in another. I am proud to be part of DDO, and proud of the members who are truly remarkable.

-President innomen
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:33:23 AM
At 12/14/2011 3:01:05 AM, innomen wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone who voted for me, and even those who did not. It would be a little disappointing to have no opposition on a debate site.

Moving forward there will be some changes in both the site's technical offering, and how we will work together as a community.

It is my goal to increase the site's management to actual members of the site. I must convey that Juggle has actually reduced it's already small commitment to DDO, but with a vague promise there will be more support to us in the future. I intend on a relentless pursuit of improving the partnership that I have already established with Juggle to achieve the ends we all want to see.

I do indeed promise to not run again, but I also ask that after this 6 month term ends we look for the term to last one year. Previously the thinking was the presidency was an unimportant job, and the election was a popularity contest. I'd like to think that I have changed both of those contentions, and because there is real gravity to the position of President, a 6 month term is unnecessarily disruptive to the site and to the administration. During the next 6 months I will be looking for someone to take my place, and I would endorse that person, and ideally hand over my mod abilities, and provide a full introduction and recommendation to Juggle.

I'd also like to consider having a committee that would look at various infractions to what we would consider appropriate conduct on DDO, and within the DDO community. This committee could formulate an informal and non binding bill of rights for the membership. At this point this is completely conceptual, so it's actual application and the implications therein may preclude anything here.

I'm a big believer in trial and error. There is so little to lose here, so ideas should be considered and tried where feasible and appropriate, so I count on the members of this site to continue to provide the input that they already do.

I'd like to also express my sincere gratitude for the support and respect that I have been shown continually on DDO. We're a funny little place, where we can suit up in full body armor and enter into battle on one forum, and be posting some of the funniest and most clever arguments on the Internet in another. I am proud to be part of DDO, and proud of the members who are truly remarkable.

-President innomen

Wait, the elections are over? Where was I? Anyhow, congrats, innomen. Also, it's sad to see juggle's attention to DDO is actually decreasing.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:40:18 AM

-President innomen

Can we please carve that into a marble or granite plaque?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:51:57 AM
I do truly appreciate this site, it has made me better at many things, and i am grateful for those who have and continue to challenge me in my thinking, discourse, and overall presentation. By having the continued opportunity to test myself against those who are usually much younger than i am, i have developed a more nimble perspective.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:00:41 AM

Yes... the ToS is really insufficient for this type of community. Also, the purpose of the ToS is not to define behavior - it's to limit Juggle's liability for user created content.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 3:00:47 PM
It's been interesting, watching you develop from a regular to arguably the foremost member on this site.

I believe I arrived here right at the cusp of the transformation -- at first, you were a generally respected, overall pragmatic and intuitive guy that, despite the nature of whatever discourse in which you engage, has always maintained a level of mutual respect. That impresses me; that is an extremely difficult thing to do in any social construct, and it's something at which I consider myself underproficient.

As someone who's participated in general chat and social forums since I was a teenager, I've witnessed the rise from a regular forum member to someone with power and influence before. Most often, those people behave akin to those who experience the same in reality, in my experience -- or, at least, an online variant of the behavior. They form an entourage to enforce their leadership; they treat people differently based on their personal feelings; ultimately, they eventually abuse their power, but people will follow along, as long as they're part of the accepted crowd.

i have never seen you abuse any power -- in fact, you are perhaps the most just authority I have ever encountered. Basing your decisions on the overall comfort of the members of this website, your only ostensible interest is maintaining a sort of social homeostasis that will keep this website pleasant.

In that way, the position is altruistic -- you have developed a moral foundation that the members of this site can agree on, as it directly coincides with their interests. Then, you engage that moral foundation as a system for no reason or benefit aside the virtue of those morals.

It hasn't even occurred to you to make your appearance on this site distinct. Whether that you're a forum moderator or the site president, when you post, you look and act like anyone else, and expect nothing different. It is a testament to your style and there's a great deal to be learned from that.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:13:42 PM
At 12/14/2011 3:00:47 PM, Ren wrote:
It's been interesting, watching you develop from a regular to arguably the foremost member on this site.

I believe I arrived here right at the cusp of the transformation -- at first, you were a generally respected, overall pragmatic and intuitive guy that, despite the nature of whatever discourse in which you engage, has always maintained a level of mutual respect. That impresses me; that is an extremely difficult thing to do in any social construct, and it's something at which I consider myself underproficient.

As someone who's participated in general chat and social forums since I was a teenager, I've witnessed the rise from a regular forum member to someone with power and influence before. Most often, those people behave akin to those who experience the same in reality, in my experience -- or, at least, an online variant of the behavior. They form an entourage to enforce their leadership; they treat people differently based on their personal feelings; ultimately, they eventually abuse their power, but people will follow along, as long as they're part of the accepted crowd.

i have never seen you abuse any power -- in fact, you are perhaps the most just authority I have ever encountered. Basing your decisions on the overall comfort of the members of this website, your only ostensible interest is maintaining a sort of social homeostasis that will keep this website pleasant.

In that way, the position is altruistic -- you have developed a moral foundation that the members of this site can agree on, as it directly coincides with their interests. Then, you engage that moral foundation as a system for no reason or benefit aside the virtue of those morals.

It hasn't even occurred to you to make your appearance on this site distinct. Whether that you're a forum moderator or the site president, when you post, you look and act like anyone else, and expect nothing different. It is a testament to your style and there's a great deal to be learned from that.

I don't know that i deserve all that, but i am happier being an average member than anything else, because that is what i am. I've learned a lot being here and continue to be impressed by what i still am learning. I think most people would want the site to be managed in such a way, and i may have invested more of myself into the site than i had expected, but I doubt many others would want it done so much differently.

I sincerely hope there is someone who will continue the direction of the site, and continue trying to bring the management of the site to the members, because I would like the site and the community to grow in every good way possible.

thanks for the nice words, it means a lot.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:26:56 PM
Any particular reason you won't run again, innomen? I agree with Ren's sentiments, and at the moment I can't think of a better or even equivalent replacement. If you truly care about the best interest of the site, then you will run again ;) Congrats.
President of DDO
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 4:49:07 PM
At 12/14/2011 4:26:56 PM, Danielle wrote:
Any particular reason you won't run again, innomen? I agree with Ren's sentiments, and at the moment I can't think of a better or even equivalent replacement. If you truly care about the best interest of the site, then you will run again ;) Congrats.

Thanks much, it means a lot. By doing the stuff of president, i don't get to participate nearly as much as i used to in the forums. I also don't think it good for the site that i get too entrenched in what I'm doing. I share your concern somewhat, and rest assured that I won't be irresponsible in any transfer in power of modding. It is possible that I've dug myself into a hole where there is more and more ability given to me that may not fit well to anyone else, but i doubt it, and we'll see. I have 6 mos to find someone.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 5:01:38 PM
By the way, i have no desire in the slightest to dominate this site, or be anything more than a respected member. I may lead, but it's more as a factor of necessity in accomplishing something, and out of an organizational sense.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 8:57:07 AM
At 12/14/2011 7:00:23 PM, LeafRod wrote:
You should run again if you ultimately decide you want to.

Congrats!
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama