Jump to topic:

Guilty as charged.

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 2:50:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Izbo has been found guilty and will remain banned.

I am wondering what the overall impression of the process is among the members here. Although I had some regrets in initiating the whole thing, I believe the net result was positive. To those who accuse me of feeding the troll, I'd respond by saying in this case the troll was feeding us, and it put on trial both the troll, and our community, and i was not disappointed in how it all panned out. It is in site events like this that we as a community are more of a community.

To those who claim that we've never done this before, and why should this troll get such a process - I would respond that there must be a first time for everything, and I see no reason why we shouldn't try new ideas in solving problems even if there is some risk of failure. I'd also like us to consider having some sort of an appeal process for those who are banned. In this i would put together a small committee of members who might hash out something we could informally put in place that would create site consideration of a banning.

In this thread i would invite a critique of the trial and the prospect of an appeal process.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 5:37:55 AM
Ever since the recent decline in Izbo's posts (during and now after the trial) the quality of threads have improved. I'll go ahead and assume a causative relation.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 7:48:46 AM
My thoughts: HALLELUJIAH! HALLELUJIAH!

If I must criticize, this should have been done a LONG time ago.
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 7:53:13 AM
Izbo always helped get me through my worst days...not by being kind, but because his stupidity made my self esteem climb ;)

RIP Izzy!
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 7:55:56 AM
oh yeah, and if anyone is curious the name "izbo10" comes from a pet lizard he had when he was 10...isnt that sweet??<3

Not kidding, I once had an ad hom and curse free conversation with izbo (where he told me that)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 8:05:27 AM
At 12/15/2011 7:55:56 AM, thett3 wrote:
oh yeah, and if anyone is curious the name "izbo10" comes from a pet lizard he had when he was 10...isnt that sweet??<3

Not kidding, I once had an ad hom and curse free conversation with izbo (where he told me that)

Lol!
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 9:45:56 AM
Few Things:

I like the idea of a Bill of Rights. I think it should be a prerequisite for members to read before they post.

Is there a system in place? Like three warnings, then banned?

The jurors need to be impartial, if they were offended by Izbo, it was not a fair trial. Not saying they were.

Maybe a judge to dull out the punishment?

I like the idea of an appeal. An appeal could have language in it that says he changed and is sorry. That should be heavily considered when he appeals.

We need a justice system put in place. It must have uniformity, not differing from one member to another.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 10:04:30 AM
At 12/15/2011 9:45:56 AM, tyler90az wrote:
Few Things:

I like the idea of a Bill of Rights. I think it should be a prerequisite for members to read before they post.
I don't know about it being a requirement, but i think something in place wouldn't be a bad thing.

Is there a system in place? Like three warnings, then banned?

There is no formal system in place now, it is up to the mod to decide.

The jurors need to be impartial, if they were offended by Izbo, it was not a fair trial. Not saying they were.
I think they were very impartial, and in their thread they were far more considerate than what went on in the general comments of the trial.

Maybe a judge to dull out the punishment?

That would be me.
I like the idea of an appeal. An appeal could have language in it that says he changed and is sorry. That should be heavily considered when he appeals.

I agree, see comments below.
We need a justice system put in place. It must have uniformity, not differing from one member to another.
However, in any process there must be a caveat that says, at anytime for reasons not necessarily to be made public, a mod may ban any member.

For the record, during the trial, i sent izbo a PM advising him to plea for lenience and that he would, to the best of his ability, change his behavior and work toward being a more productive member. His response to me was - I'm not taking any advice from someone who doesn't know what a debate is.
Had he sought some sort of course of regret and modification of behavior, i think it may have gone differently, but he made zero effort in that.

I also got an email from him where he is complaining that the jury was influenced by the members at large. I have not responded yet, but this certainly is not the case.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 10:06:21 AM
I would have just banned him a while ago if I were a moderator. It shouldn't take this long to remove an obviously offensive and disruptive member who seriously hampered discussion in the religion forum. I hope we don't have to do this with other members.
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 10:07:43 AM
At 12/15/2011 10:04:30 AM, innomen wrote:
However, in any process there must be a caveat that says, at anytime for reasons not necessarily to be made public, a mod may ban any member.

At anytime for reasons not necessarily to be made public, a mod may ban any member.

How's that? :D
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 10:48:31 AM
It is a shame that a member had to be banned due to the memberbase's inability to shun the now exiled.

I'm interested in seeing how this "bill of rights" can be used to screw people over.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:07:51 PM
At 12/15/2011 10:48:31 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
It is a shame that a member had to be banned due to the memberbase's inability to shun the now exiled.

I'm interested in seeing how this "bill of rights" can be used to screw people over.

Don't worry, we'll think of plenty of ways.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"