Total Posts:93|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

DDO drives out the left

000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 6:21:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The vast, super-mega-majority of the active members on this website are moderate rightwing sympathizers, conservatives, libertarians, and anarchists. I find that this has caused an intellectual vacuum, where there is no real massive political disagreement. Everyone just seems to confirm the validity of each other's ideas by their mutual political concord. The majority of the argument going on is just slight variances in belief that don't really warrant polar disagreement. The left is underrepresented, and the left is alienated by this comfortable closed circle you have crafted.

As far as debates are concerned, in the end, a libertarian will only identify with the proponent of his ideology regardless if the two arguments made were of equal quality. An ancap will not be convinced by a liberal argument, and the rightist majority only strengthens the illusion of its supremacy.

The left is mute, and I don't think that's a matter of chance, I think thats a product of an online society that is rapidly veering to the right, if it wasn't already there from the start.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 6:34:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I do agree that there is a disproportionate amount of Libertarians and AnCaps. However, there a few left-leaners here, Ore_Ele being the patron saint of them.

There is a deciding factor though: how active there people are with their ideologies. Many of the Libertarians and AnCaps are very active with their ideas while not as active liberals-me for instance-just scoot away from the politics and economics forums.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 6:46:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I could be classified as someone on either side. I realize that the conclusions one comes to in these areas are dependent on what is important to them.

To me, the most important thing is determining truth, I try to look at things the way they are. I am not ideological, I use the knowledge I have in a wide variety of subjects to draw conclusions that I am never sure of. It has become increasingly evident that all these fields of study effect eachother and are related. Philosophy, physics, economics, psychology, etc.. they all tie in. Too many who have been educated narrowly do not see this.

For this reason, it is hard to put me in a neat little box. I am limited by the limited understanding of others, and the inherent inefficiencies of human communication.

I am not a liberal. I am not a conservative. I am not even an anarchist. I'm just aware that I'm playing THE GAME.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 6:48:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Liberals and conservatives don't like to be fvcked with. It guides alot of their thinking. I don't like it either, but it is unavoidable.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 6:49:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 6:48:13 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Liberals and conservatives don't like to be fvcked with. It guides alot of their thinking. I don't like it either, but it is unavoidable.

This.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:00:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Stop complaining. This site used to be way more libertarian. Unfortunately, most of them are gone now. Sibien, Laissezfaire, Freeman, Grape, Cody, and J.Kenyon aren't here anymore. Newer members are mostly liberal or socialist. Just look at the DDO political compass. Ore_Ele has it in his albums. The site used to be mostly located on the anti-authoritarian, right wing economic side. The whole site has since moved mostly to the left.

http://www.debate.org...- Where we used to be.

http://www.debate.org...- Where we are now.

The site was never an intellectual vacuum. There's always been tons of disagreement about pretty much everything.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:13:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:00:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Stop complaining. This site used to be way more libertarian. Unfortunately, most of them are gone now. Sibien, Laissezfaire, Freeman, Grape, Cody, and J.Kenyon aren't here anymore. Newer members are mostly liberal or socialist. Just look at the DDO political compass. Ore_Ele has it in his albums. The site used to be mostly located on the anti-authoritarian, right wing economic side. The whole site has since moved mostly to the left.

http://www.debate.org...- Where we used to be.

http://www.debate.org...- Where we are now.

The site was never an intellectual vacuum. There's always been tons of disagreement about pretty much everything.

How does showing me how bad the site used to be prove how good it is now? There are 3 people in the top left, and not one of them are nearly as vocal as rightists like yourself. The majority is still there and its still overwhelming.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:18:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:13:56 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:00:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Stop complaining. This site used to be way more libertarian. Unfortunately, most of them are gone now. Sibien, Laissezfaire, Freeman, Grape, Cody, and J.Kenyon aren't here anymore. Newer members are mostly liberal or socialist. Just look at the DDO political compass. Ore_Ele has it in his albums. The site used to be mostly located on the anti-authoritarian, right wing economic side. The whole site has since moved mostly to the left.

http://www.debate.org...- Where we used to be.

http://www.debate.org...- Where we are now.

The site was never an intellectual vacuum. There's always been tons of disagreement about pretty much everything.

How does showing me how bad the site used to be prove how good it is now? There are 3 people in the top left, and not one of them are nearly as vocal as rightists like yourself. The majority is still there and its still overwhelming.

Sorry, but where is your evidence?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:21:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:18:38 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:13:56 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:00:32 PM, socialpinko wrote:
Stop complaining. This site used to be way more libertarian. Unfortunately, most of them are gone now. Sibien, Laissezfaire, Freeman, Grape, Cody, and J.Kenyon aren't here anymore. Newer members are mostly liberal or socialist. Just look at the DDO political compass. Ore_Ele has it in his albums. The site used to be mostly located on the anti-authoritarian, right wing economic side. The whole site has since moved mostly to the left.

http://www.debate.org...- Where we used to be.

http://www.debate.org...- Where we are now.

The site was never an intellectual vacuum. There's always been tons of disagreement about pretty much everything.

How does showing me how bad the site used to be prove how good it is now? There are 3 people in the top left, and not one of them are nearly as vocal as rightists like yourself. The majority is still there and its still overwhelming.

Sorry, but where is your evidence?

I was referring to the graph he posted, what kind of evidence are you looking for? His current graph still shows everyone towards the right if you looked at it.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:26:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:21:14 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:18:38 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:13:56 PM, 000ike wrote:
How does showing me how bad the site used to be prove how good it is now? There are 3 people in the top left, and not one of them are nearly as vocal as rightists like yourself. The majority is still there and its still overwhelming.

Sorry, but where is your evidence?

I was referring to the graph he posted, what kind of evidence are you looking for? His current graph still shows everyone towards the right if you looked at it.

Lie. If you actually looked, you would see that the average member of DDO is in the bottom left column.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:28:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:13:56 PM, 000ike wrote:

How does showing me how bad the site used to be prove how good it is now? There are 3 people in the top left, and not one of them are nearly as vocal as rightists like yourself. The majority is still there and its still overwhelming.

Ore_Ele is perhaps the most active member of the forums (except on weekends). In fact there were more members just in the bottom left than there were on the entire right side (16 for bottom left, 19 for the right side).

It was never bad though. There's always been strong opposition in any forum. Popculture and JCMT in the religion section, Ore_Ele and Ragnar in the political section, etc. No one position definitely dominates, except maybe anti-authoritarianism (not necessarily right wing proponents). And your characterization is very Charleslb-ish. As if the 19kadams and Lordknuckle's of the site are the same as the Ragnars or the Spinko's. Don't lump us in together. This might be news to you but there is a difference between an anarchist and a Republican.

And what would you to do counteract the supposed libertarian domination of this site? Ban libertarians? Enact quotas? A better and less annoying solution your part would be to go out and network and try to bring a more varied group of members than just sit back and complain?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:28:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:26:46 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:21:14 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:18:38 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:13:56 PM, 000ike wrote:
How does showing me how bad the site used to be prove how good it is now? There are 3 people in the top left, and not one of them are nearly as vocal as rightists like yourself. The majority is still there and its still overwhelming.

Sorry, but where is your evidence?

I was referring to the graph he posted, what kind of evidence are you looking for? His current graph still shows everyone towards the right if you looked at it.

Lie. If you actually looked, you would see that the average member of DDO is in the bottom left column.

+1
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:28:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:28:01 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:13:56 PM, 000ike wrote:

How does showing me how bad the site used to be prove how good it is now? There are 3 people in the top left, and not one of them are nearly as vocal as rightists like yourself. The majority is still there and its still overwhelming.

First of all, you're either stupid or totally lying. Ore_Ele is perhaps the most active member of the forums (except on weekends). In fact there were more members just in the bottom left than there were on the entire right side (19 for bottom left, 16 for the right side).

It was never bad though. There's always been strong opposition in any forum. Popculture and JCMT in the religion section, Ore_Ele and Ragnar in the political section, etc. No one position definitely dominates, except maybe anti-authoritarianism (not necessarily right wing proponents). And your characterization is very Charleslb-ish. As if the 19kadams and Lordknuckle's of the site are the same as the Ragnars or the Spinko's. Don't lump us in together. This might be news to you but there is a difference between an anarchist and a Republican.

And what would you to do counteract the supposed libertarian domination of this site? Ban libertarians? Enact quotas? A better and less annoying solution your part would be to go out and network and try to bring a more varied group of members than just sit back and complain?

Fixd
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Man-is-good
Posts: 6,871
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:52:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
(sits in background and watches fight)
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:55:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 6:21:16 PM, 000ike wrote:
...The left is underrepresented, and the left is alienated by this comfortable closed circle you have crafted.

As a right-winger I used to hang out on a leftist site. It was great, because the opportunities to deflate leftist dogma were ever present. The Left does not tolerate dissent, so they made a rule that only leftist opinions were allowed, and I was booted. It never occurred to me that a comfortable closed circle of support was desirable.

In any case, there are plenty of leftists here. The compass data agrees with my experience.

I don't understand the AnCaps. Theoretically, they ought to oppose government, but somehow they seem to come down on the side of regulating everything that moves and subscribing to lots of leftist doctrine. It doesn't much matter, because debates stand on their own topic by topic. Besides, we should be kind to people who are just visiting our planet.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:57:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:55:18 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

I don't understand the AnCaps. Theoretically, they ought to oppose government, but somehow they seem to come down on the side of regulating everything that moves and subscribing to lots of leftist doctrine.

Say what?
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 8:05:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Even if it was [which it isn't] whats the problem, I oftentimes notice a bandwagon appeal to the Left anyways, I find the Right far more likely to defend its views [and this is especially true on DDO].
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 8:52:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:52:19 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
(sits in background and watches fight)

It is not a fight. It is a conversation. If I am wrong, and socialpinko says so, that does not constitute a fight. You will not hawk this thread. You will not revert back to your old ways. And you will not turn your attention to me now that Izbo is gone and you're bored.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 9:16:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 7:28:01 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:13:56 PM, 000ike wrote:

How does showing me how bad the site used to be prove how good it is now? There are 3 people in the top left, and not one of them are nearly as vocal as rightists like yourself. The majority is still there and its still overwhelming.

First of all, you're either stupid or totally lying. Ore_Ele is perhaps the most active member of the forums (except on weekends). In fact there were more members just in the bottom left than there were on the entire right side (16 for bottom left, 19 for the right side).

It was never bad though. There's always been strong opposition in any forum. Popculture and JCMT in the religion section, Ore_Ele and Ragnar in the political section, etc. No one position definitely dominates, except maybe anti-authoritarianism (not necessarily right wing proponents). And your characterization is very Charleslb-ish. As if the 19kadams and Lordknuckle's of the site are the same as the Ragnars or the Spinko's. Don't lump us in together. This might be news to you but there is a difference between an anarchist and a Republican.

And what would you to do counteract the supposed libertarian domination of this site? Ban libertarians? Enact quotas? A better and less annoying solution your part would be to go out and network and try to bring a more varied group of members than just sit back and complain?

Quit acting like an @$$. I have not insulted you, and I don't know what I have done in this present thread to deserve the arbitrary attack you're flinging. You make it very difficult to concede to anything, as I feel I may be condoning all this aggressive rubbish you accompany with your argument.That said, you probably have a point with the opposition is some areas, but to be honest, I don't keep track of it nor have I ever noticed it. I'm usually surrounded by the likes of you, lordknuckle, Lost_paradigm and such when making any political argument, so how you come here and act so dumbfounded about my conclusion is beyond me.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 9:30:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 9:16:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:28:01 PM, socialpinko wrote:

First of all, you're either stupid or totally lying. Ore_Ele is perhaps the most active member of the forums (except on weekends). In fact there were more members just in the bottom left than there were on the entire right side (16 for bottom left, 19 for the right side).

It was never bad though. There's always been strong opposition in any forum. Popculture and JCMT in the religion section, Ore_Ele and Ragnar in the political section, etc. No one position definitely dominates, except maybe anti-authoritarianism (not necessarily right wing proponents). And your characterization is very Charleslb-ish. As if the 19kadams and Lordknuckle's of the site are the same as the Ragnars or the Spinko's. Don't lump us in together. This might be news to you but there is a difference between an anarchist and a Republican.

And what would you to do counteract the supposed libertarian domination of this site? Ban libertarians? Enact quotas? A better and less annoying solution your part would be to go out and network and try to bring a more varied group of members than just sit back and complain?

Quit acting like an @$$. I have not insulted you, and I don't know what I have done in this present thread to deserve the arbitrary attack you're flinging. You make it very difficult to concede to anything, as I feel I may be condoning all this aggressive rubbish you accompany with your argument.That said, you probably have a point with the opposition is some areas, but to be honest, I don't keep track of it nor have I ever noticed it. I'm usually surrounded by the likes of you, lordknuckle, Lost_paradigm and such when making any political argument, so how you come here and act so dumbfounded about my conclusion is beyond me.

Interesting, no attempted refutation of my points. Just complaining about the tone? And again with the throwing anyone on the right together. Lordknuckle and I are opposites. Also the concession that you don't keep track of the actual state of affairs concerning political affiliation is interesting.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 9:38:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 9:30:46 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 12/23/2011 9:16:48 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/23/2011 7:28:01 PM, socialpinko wrote:

First of all, you're either stupid or totally lying. Ore_Ele is perhaps the most active member of the forums (except on weekends). In fact there were more members just in the bottom left than there were on the entire right side (16 for bottom left, 19 for the right side).

It was never bad though. There's always been strong opposition in any forum. Popculture and JCMT in the religion section, Ore_Ele and Ragnar in the political section, etc. No one position definitely dominates, except maybe anti-authoritarianism (not necessarily right wing proponents). And your characterization is very Charleslb-ish. As if the 19kadams and Lordknuckle's of the site are the same as the Ragnars or the Spinko's. Don't lump us in together. This might be news to you but there is a difference between an anarchist and a Republican.

And what would you to do counteract the supposed libertarian domination of this site? Ban libertarians? Enact quotas? A better and less annoying solution your part would be to go out and network and try to bring a more varied group of members than just sit back and complain?

Quit acting like an @$$. I have not insulted you, and I don't know what I have done in this present thread to deserve the arbitrary attack you're flinging. You make it very difficult to concede to anything, as I feel I may be condoning all this aggressive rubbish you accompany with your argument.That said, you probably have a point with the opposition is some areas, but to be honest, I don't keep track of it nor have I ever noticed it. I'm usually surrounded by the likes of you, lordknuckle, Lost_paradigm and such when making any political argument, so how you come here and act so dumbfounded about my conclusion is beyond me.

Interesting, no attempted refutation of my points. Just complaining about the tone? And again with the throwing anyone on the right together. Lordknuckle and I are opposites. Also the concession that you don't keep track of the actual state of affairs concerning political affiliation is interesting.

No, I was saying that I don't notice when Ore_Ele is giving this supposed strong opposition to Ragnar_Rahl or when Popculturepooka is giving strong opposition to Justcallmetarzan. I haven't see it, I've more been facing strong opposition from people like you. How the hell does this translate to "you don't keep track of the actual state of affairs concerning political affiliation"?

You have no idea how much anger I restrain responding to you.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 9:51:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 9:38:55 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/23/2011 9:30:46 PM, socialpinko wrote:

Interesting, no attempted refutation of my points. Just complaining about the tone? And again with the throwing anyone on the right together. Lordknuckle and I are opposites. Also the concession that you don't keep track of the actual state of affairs concerning political affiliation is interesting.

No, I was saying that I don't notice when Ore_Ele is giving this supposed strong opposition to Ragnar_Rahl or when Popculturepooka is giving strong opposition to Justcallmetarzan. I haven't see it, I've more been facing strong opposition from people like you. How the hell does this translate to "you don't keep track of the actual state of affairs concerning political affiliation"?

My point was that perhaps you should actually check the forums and the state of the site before making what is essentially just a thread where you complain that people exist that don't agree with you. Plus you never posted anything you could or would do to change the supposed libertarian supermajority on the site. If you're not going to do anything or support some sort of change in the site than what's the point of simply complaining?

You have no idea how much anger I restrain responding to you.

Well thank you for enlightening me as to this fact.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Steelerman6794
Posts: 158
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 9:57:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 6:21:16 PM, 000ike wrote:
The vast, super-mega-majority of the active members on this website are moderate rightwing sympathizers, conservatives, libertarians, and anarchists. I find that this has caused an intellectual vacuum, where there is no real massive political disagreement. Everyone just seems to confirm the validity of each other's ideas by their mutual political concord. The majority of the argument going on is just slight variances in belief that don't really warrant polar disagreement. The left is underrepresented, and the left is alienated by this comfortable closed circle you have crafted.

As far as debates are concerned, in the end, a libertarian will only identify with the proponent of his ideology regardless if the two arguments made were of equal quality. An ancap will not be convinced by a liberal argument, and the rightist majority only strengthens the illusion of its supremacy.

The left is mute, and I don't think that's a matter of chance, I think thats a product of an online society that is rapidly veering to the right, if it wasn't already there from the start.

I see no reason to believe that conservitive-anarcho-libertarians (as though they were mutually exclusive) vote-bomb debates simply to suit their ideology. In all my debates I have found most votes to be fair. The addition of required explanations accompanying each vote further improves objectivity.

I will admit that there are not very many out-and-out Democraic Party liberal adherents on DDO. At the same time there are very few neoconservative Republican sympathizers. Most members hold political views outside the American mainstream, which makes sense, because this sort of website naturally attracts those with very potent, and often radical, political stances.

We should really stop creating linear political labels like we do now. "Left" and "right" is incredibly simplistic. Let's continue having spirited discussions about the issues themselves instead of whining about demographics. The fact that your ideology is few and far between on this site, 000ike, simply means that your voice is less diluted. That's something to be thankful for.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,043
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 9:59:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
And....what was the point of OP?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
unitedandy
Posts: 1,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 11:45:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Unsurprisingly, I kinda agree with the O.P.

Of all debates I have participated in, arguing from the left on this site is sometimes a bit like trying to sell oil shares to greenpeace, in that unless you have an astounding good argument, or your opponent forfeits, you will lose most of the time, regardless of the quality of arguments.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 12:49:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/23/2011 11:45:42 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Unsurprisingly, I kinda agree with the O.P.

Of all debates I have participated in, arguing from the left on this site is sometimes a bit like trying to sell oil shares to greenpeace, in that unless you have an astounding good argument, or your opponent forfeits, you will lose most of the time, regardless of the quality of arguments.

You forgot to add that you can lose even if your opponent drops 75% of the arguments against his case. I even saw one debate in which the conservative forfeited two rounds but still managed to win the debate.

Example: http://www.debate.org...
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 12:54:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 12:49:41 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 12/23/2011 11:45:42 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Unsurprisingly, I kinda agree with the O.P.

Of all debates I have participated in, arguing from the left on this site is sometimes a bit like trying to sell oil shares to greenpeace, in that unless you have an astounding good argument, or your opponent forfeits, you will lose most of the time, regardless of the quality of arguments.

You forgot to add that you can lose even if your opponent drops 75% of the arguments against his case. I even saw one debate in which the conservative forfeited two rounds but still managed to win the debate.

Example: http://www.debate.org...

Willoweed was basically a troll.. I did forfeit two rounds, but I was the only one to offer argument... so I won

The idea that I dropped 75% of your points is laughable... I won the debate because I addressed all of your poitns... and you ignored many of mine...

I really won, though, because the realities were on my side.
President of DDO
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 12:55:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 12:54:47 AM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:49:41 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 12/23/2011 11:45:42 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Unsurprisingly, I kinda agree with the O.P.

Of all debates I have participated in, arguing from the left on this site is sometimes a bit like trying to sell oil shares to greenpeace, in that unless you have an astounding good argument, or your opponent forfeits, you will lose most of the time, regardless of the quality of arguments.

You forgot to add that you can lose even if your opponent drops 75% of the arguments against his case. I even saw one debate in which the conservative forfeited two rounds but still managed to win the debate.

Example: http://www.debate.org...

Willoweed was basically a troll.. I did forfeit two rounds, but I was the only one to offer argument... so I won

The idea that I dropped 75% of your points is laughable... I won the debate because I addressed all of your poitns... and you ignored many of mine...

I really won, though, because the realities were on my side.

You dropped 3/4 of the arguments against your study. Please quote exactly where you responded to those ideas.
jimtimmy
Posts: 3,953
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 12:57:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 12:55:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:54:47 AM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:49:41 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 12/23/2011 11:45:42 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Unsurprisingly, I kinda agree with the O.P.

Of all debates I have participated in, arguing from the left on this site is sometimes a bit like trying to sell oil shares to greenpeace, in that unless you have an astounding good argument, or your opponent forfeits, you will lose most of the time, regardless of the quality of arguments.

You forgot to add that you can lose even if your opponent drops 75% of the arguments against his case. I even saw one debate in which the conservative forfeited two rounds but still managed to win the debate.

Example: http://www.debate.org...

Willoweed was basically a troll.. I did forfeit two rounds, but I was the only one to offer argument... so I won

The idea that I dropped 75% of your points is laughable... I won the debate because I addressed all of your poitns... and you ignored many of mine...

I really won, though, because the realities were on my side.

You dropped 3/4 of the arguments against your study. Please quote exactly where you responded to those ideas.

I did... the arguments were really bad, so I didn't have much trouble... And, lol, this study was only part of the debate.

I destroyed... destroyed... your arguments about food and drugs.... that was enough to win me the debate... I also won the studies part... but dropping 75% of one point is not dropping 75% of the debate.. (not that i even dropped 75% of a point, I didnt drop anything)
President of DDO
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 1:01:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 12:57:44 AM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:55:39 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:54:47 AM, jimtimmy wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:49:41 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 12/23/2011 11:45:42 PM, unitedandy wrote:
Unsurprisingly, I kinda agree with the O.P.

Of all debates I have participated in, arguing from the left on this site is sometimes a bit like trying to sell oil shares to greenpeace, in that unless you have an astounding good argument, or your opponent forfeits, you will lose most of the time, regardless of the quality of arguments.

You forgot to add that you can lose even if your opponent drops 75% of the arguments against his case. I even saw one debate in which the conservative forfeited two rounds but still managed to win the debate.

Example: http://www.debate.org...

Willoweed was basically a troll.. I did forfeit two rounds, but I was the only one to offer argument... so I won

The idea that I dropped 75% of your points is laughable... I won the debate because I addressed all of your poitns... and you ignored many of mine...

I really won, though, because the realities were on my side.

You dropped 3/4 of the arguments against your study. Please quote exactly where you responded to those ideas.

I did... the arguments were really bad, so I didn't have much trouble... And, lol, this study was only part of the debate.

I destroyed... destroyed... your arguments about food and drugs.... that was enough to win me the debate... I also won the studies part... but dropping 75% of one point is not dropping 75% of the debate.. (not that i even dropped 75% of a point, I didnt drop anything)

Your offense was from your case. If you drop 3/4 of your case, you lose your offense and cannot win the round. You did not destroy them; you just asserted that they did not apply to African Americans. I destroyed your study, but apparently people ignored that.