vmpire321
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 8:45:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've found myself doing this recently.

When I mention my opponent, I use the term "my opponent"
When mentioning the reader/voter, I use the term "you".

So I end up saying something like "I've shown you why my opponent has failed"

How do you guys address people? Do you use "you" for your opponent instead?
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 8:49:42 PM
I address it as if I was in an LD debate; the voters are my judges and my opponent is my opponent. I address the judge, not the opponent.

I guess the logic behind this is that debates are not arguments. Debates are ment to be judged, while arguments are ment to spew anger and settle differences.
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:22:26 PM
At 12/24/2011 8:49:42 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
I address it as if I was in an LD debate; the voters are my judges and my opponent is my opponent. I address the judge, not the opponent.

I guess the logic behind this is that debates are not arguments. Debates are ment to be judged, while arguments are ment to spew anger and settle differences.

And judges want to be addressed to. They are spending their valuable time to judge the debate, they want to be acknowledged.
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:24:51 PM
I rarely address the voters in my debates, but when I do it goes something like this:

"As you can see, my opponent has *blahblahblah*".
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 12:45:59 AM
At 12/24/2011 8:45:23 PM, vmpire321 wrote:
I've found myself doing this recently.

When I mention my opponent, I use the term "my opponent"

Do that

When mentioning the reader/voter, I use the term "you".

I don't do that

So I end up saying something like "I've shown you why my opponent has failed"

How do you guys address people? Do you use "you" for your opponent instead?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 3:50:42 AM
I always address my opponent as "Pro" or "Con". Sometimes I'll throw in "my opponent" just so it's not so redundant. If I have to address the readers I will usually refer to them as "the readers" or the "voters". I however try to stay away from this, and I certainly don't like referring to them as "you" because it makes it seem like you are trying to plead for their approval, which I think strangely puts you at a psychological disadvantage. Take the following example:

"In conclusion, I've shown why Pros argument does not affirm the resolution"

This statement seems strong and confident. You feel like you are supposed to agree with it and it might make you hesitate to challenge it.

"In conclusion, I've shown you why Pros argument does not affirm the resolution"

Now when the debater says "I've shown you", it implies that "you" are supposed to be personally convinced. If you are not personally convinced it now seems easier to declare this statement as false which naturally leads to finding reasons why. Basically using "you" makes the reader feel more like a juror who has the power to decide rather then a reader who is supposed to agree.
jm_notguilty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 3:57:49 AM
I use all-capitalized PRO or CON when addressing my opponent, and sometimes 'my opponent', or 'my foe' or the 'instigator'/'contender.'

I rarely use 'you', since I only use them after I quote a question he asks or a statement from him/her that is questionable (I speak to him directly). But usually, 'you' is reserved for the readers/voters.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 5:07:35 AM
I usually use Pro/Con, but sometimes I use 'my opponent' in case I get mixed up. At the end of one debate, I accidentally urged voters to vote for my opponent. ¬¬
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 11:53:53 AM
Change this "I've shown you why my opponent has failed" to "I've shown why my opponent has failed"
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...