Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Official DDO policy on plagiarism???

LiberalHoyaLawya
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 12:00:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Earlier this month, I accepted a challenge from a first-time debater on the merits of universal healthcare. After discovering that my opponent had plagiarized his entire argument word-for-word from a different website, however, I identified his plagiarism and declared that I had won the debate by default. I simply assumed that such blatant plagiarism was grounds for an automatic disqualification, so I didn't bother addressing the substance of any of his arguments. Why should I, when they weren't even HIS arguments to begin with?

http://www.debate.org...

Even though my opponent subsequently forfeited two rounds, the only person to vote on our debate so far has given my opponent the win because I didn't actually address any of "his" arguments.

Is this appropriate? What IS the official DDO policy on plagiarism... was I entitled to declare victory through an automatic disqualification? The DDO "Terms of Use" is silent on the issue... http://www.debate.org...
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 12:08:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 12:00:48 AM, LiberalHoyaLawya wrote:
Earlier this month, I accepted a challenge from a first-time debater on the merits of universal healthcare. After discovering that my opponent had plagiarized his entire argument word-for-word from a different website, however, I identified his plagiarism and declared that I had won the debate by default. I simply assumed that such blatant plagiarism was grounds for an automatic disqualification, so I didn't bother addressing the substance of any of his arguments. Why should I, when they weren't even HIS arguments to begin with?

http://www.debate.org...

Even though my opponent subsequently forfeited two rounds, the only person to vote on our debate so far has given my opponent the win because I didn't actually address any of "his" arguments.

Is this appropriate? What IS the official DDO policy on plagiarism... was I entitled to declare victory through an automatic disqualification? The DDO "Terms of Use" is silent on the issue... http://www.debate.org...

Liberal, I understand your anger and all but you simply did not respond to his arguments. If he clarifies that the arguments were not his, that's acceptable. I have seen numerous DDO members use other arguments and most people respond. That is what you are obligated to, and you did not debate. You can not win by just complaining about plagiarism solely
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 12:16:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I doubt there is an official policy but plagiarism is frowned upon. I've got your back, Jack.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 12:25:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 12:16:31 AM, Maikuru wrote:
I doubt there is an official policy but plagiarism is frowned upon. I've got your back, Jack.



I hope Maikuru's vote pleases you Liberal. I apologize for infringing upon your impeccable 5-0 record.
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
LiberalHoyaLawya
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 12:46:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 12:08:13 AM, cameronl35 wrote:
At 12/25/2011 12:00:48 AM, LiberalHoyaLawya wrote:
Earlier this month, I accepted a challenge from a first-time debater on the merits of universal healthcare. After discovering that my opponent had plagiarized his entire argument word-for-word from a different website, however, I identified his plagiarism and declared that I had won the debate by default. I simply assumed that such blatant plagiarism was grounds for an automatic disqualification, so I didn't bother addressing the substance of any of his arguments. Why should I, when they weren't even HIS arguments to begin with?

http://www.debate.org...

Even though my opponent subsequently forfeited two rounds, the only person to vote on our debate so far has given my opponent the win because I didn't actually address any of "his" arguments.

Is this appropriate? What IS the official DDO policy on plagiarism... was I entitled to declare victory through an automatic disqualification? The DDO "Terms of Use" is silent on the issue... http://www.debate.org...

Liberal, I understand your anger and all but you simply did not respond to his arguments. If he clarifies that the arguments were not his, that's acceptable. I have seen numerous DDO members use other arguments and most people respond. That is what you are obligated to, and you did not debate. You can not win by just complaining about plagiarism solely

Cameronl35, I don't understand why you credited my opponent for making "better" arguments when all he did was copy/paste somebody else's work. If anything, plagiarism is WORSE than failing to offer any argument at all. Note also that my opponent didn't make any subsequent substantive arguments after I caught him cheating; he merely defended himself from the plagiarism accusation in Round 3, and forfeited Rounds 2 and 4.

Why should I waste my effort to craft an original argument when my opponent never bothered to make one himself? Are you saying I would have won the debate if I had simply written one substantive sentence, like "healthcare is good?" That's ridiculous. If a debater copy/pastes an entire argument round, that should automatically disqualify him from victory, period. An opponent is not "obligated" to respond to plagiarized arguments.
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 1:06:51 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 12:46:00 AM, LiberalHoyaLawya wrote:
At 12/25/2011 12:08:13 AM, cameronl35 wrote:
At 12/25/2011 12:00:48 AM, LiberalHoyaLawya wrote:
Earlier this month, I accepted a challenge from a first-time debater on the merits of universal healthcare. After discovering that my opponent had plagiarized his entire argument word-for-word from a different website, however, I identified his plagiarism and declared that I had won the debate by default. I simply assumed that such blatant plagiarism was grounds for an automatic disqualification, so I didn't bother addressing the substance of any of his arguments. Why should I, when they weren't even HIS arguments to begin with?

http://www.debate.org...

Even though my opponent subsequently forfeited two rounds, the only person to vote on our debate so far has given my opponent the win because I didn't actually address any of "his" arguments.

Is this appropriate? What IS the official DDO policy on plagiarism... was I entitled to declare victory through an automatic disqualification? The DDO "Terms of Use" is silent on the issue... http://www.debate.org...

Liberal, I understand your anger and all but you simply did not respond to his arguments. If he clarifies that the arguments were not his, that's acceptable. I have seen numerous DDO members use other arguments and most people respond. That is what you are obligated to, and you did not debate. You can not win by just complaining about plagiarism solely

Cameronl35, I don't understand why you credited my opponent for making "better" arguments when all he did was copy/paste somebody else's work. If anything, plagiarism is WORSE than failing to offer any argument at all. Note also that my opponent didn't make any subsequent substantive arguments after I caught him cheating; he merely defended himself from the plagiarism accusation in Round 3, and forfeited Rounds 2 and 4.

Why should I waste my effort to craft an original argu(ment when my opponent never bothered to make one himself? Are you saying I would have won the debate if I had simply written one substantive sentence, like "healthcare is good?" That's ridiculous. If a debater copy/pastes an entire argument round, that should automatically disqualify him from victory, period. An opponent is not "obligated" to respond to plagiarized arguments.

You go off of this assumption as if plagiarism is so frowned upon and is "illegal". What brings you to the conclusion that everyone's arguments are original? I suppose every creationist debate who uses the Kalam Cosmological argument (like all do) should lose automatically and the atheists can simply disregard the arguments and make the accusation of plagiarism as your argument, as you did. I gave him arguments because he actually made an argument related to the topic. He convinced me better, since you didn't even propose the statement that "healthcare is good". I am not saying you had to go full out, but when you make NO arguments it just gives you the image of apathetic and unconvincing. I don't care if he used ad ridicul and forfeited, that only gives one the conduct point. When it came down to arguments, he made them, you did not. It is unequivocal that you did not debate the topic, yes? I have had opponents use plagiarism and not even recognize it, yet I called them for it AND made a rebuttal. Some voters still voted for the opposing side as well. As you realized there is no established law on DDO that says you can not plagiarize, I urge you to read more debates and see how many arguments are plagiarized and most show decent conduct by responding...I am not going to give you a free win because you accused him of plagiarism AND you did not make any arguments. You didn't even have to make good arguments! Just somewhat of a so-so case that you can jot down in 10 minutes is fine..However with you displaying your anger on this forum and practically begging for people to vote by claiming DDO has a negative connotation to me is completely unjust and makes me more adamant about this.
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
LiberalHoyaLawya
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 1:36:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 1:06:51 AM, cameronl35 wrote:

You go off of this assumption as if plagiarism is so frowned upon and is "illegal". What brings you to the conclusion that everyone's arguments are original? I suppose every creationist debate who uses the Kalam Cosmological argument (like all do) should lose automatically and the atheists can simply disregard the arguments and make the accusation of plagiarism as your argument, as you did. I gave him arguments because he actually made an argument related to the topic. He convinced me better, since you didn't even propose the statement that "healthcare is good". I am not saying you had to go full out, but when you make NO arguments it just gives you the image of apathetic and unconvincing. I don't care if he used ad ridicul and forfeited, that only gives one the conduct point. When it came down to arguments, he made them, you did not. It is unequivocal that you did not debate the topic, yes? I have had opponents use plagiarism and not even recognize it, yet I called them for it AND made a rebuttal. Some voters still voted for the opposing side as well. As you realized there is no established law on DDO that says you can not plagiarize, I urge you to read more debates and see how many arguments are plagiarized and most show decent conduct by responding...I am not going to give you a free win because you accused him of plagiarism AND you did not make any arguments. You didn't even have to make good arguments! Just somewhat of a so-so case that you can jot down in 10 minutes is fine..However with you displaying your anger on this forum and practically begging for people to vote by claiming DDO has a negative connotation to me is completely unjust and makes me more adamant about this.

I freely acknowledge that I refused to engage my opponent on the actual resolution; I maintain that no debater is "obligated" to make any argument after they catch an opponent plagiarizing their entire argument. Perhaps if my opponent had actually apologized for his plagiarism and subsequently offered some original arguments, I might have been obligated to respond to him then. But that's not what happened; my opponent never made any original arguments. If neither opponent made any original arguments, shouldn't the tie naturally go to the opponent who didn't cheat?

Yes, I was a slightly angry that you, as the debate's sole voter, tried to teach me a "lesson" on DDO rules by voting for an opponent who cheated against me. I'm not taking it personally; I just fundamentally disagree with your opinion that a plagiarized argument is better than no argument at all. For what it's worth, it seems like everyone else who has read this forum so far agrees with me. Hopefully this can serve as some kind of precedent for voters going forward.
LiberalHoyaLawya
Posts: 17
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 1:47:24 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 1:06:51 AM, cameronl35 wrote:

You go off of this assumption as if plagiarism is so frowned upon and is "illegal". What brings you to the conclusion that everyone's arguments are original? I suppose every creationist debate who uses the Kalam Cosmological argument (like all do) should lose automatically and the atheists can simply disregard the arguments and make the accusation of plagiarism as your argument, as you did.

To avoid plagiarism, all you need to do is satisfy two rules: 1) properly cite your sources, and 2) include some original analysis. Citing one idea (i.e., the Kalam Cosmological argument) in the context of a larger original work is not plagiarism. Copy / pasting an entire work word-for-word, however, is plagiarism, even if you cite to it (no original analysis). Please refer to http://plagiarism.org... for guidance on what constitutes plagiarism.
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 3:20:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I consider it plagiarism when a participant tries to pass off someone else's arguments as his own. That is pretty serious, and grounds for immediate disqualification. Rike619 did acknowledge that his argument was copy/pasted so it's borderline. However he forfeited 3 rounds and never supported anything he copy/pasted so nothing he did in round 1 counts.
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 1:28:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 1:36:52 AM, LiberalHoyaLawya wrote:
At 12/25/2011 1:06:51 AM, cameronl35 wrote:

You go off of this assumption as if plagiarism is so frowned upon and is "illegal". What brings you to the conclusion that everyone's arguments are original? I suppose every creationist debate who uses the Kalam Cosmological argument (like all do) should lose automatically and the atheists can simply disregard the arguments and make the accusation of plagiarism as your argument, as you did. I gave him arguments because he actually made an argument related to the topic. He convinced me better, since you didn't even propose the statement that "healthcare is good". I am not saying you had to go full out, but when you make NO arguments it just gives you the image of apathetic and unconvincing. I don't care if he used ad ridicul and forfeited, that only gives one the conduct point. When it came down to arguments, he made them, you did not. It is unequivocal that you did not debate the topic, yes? I have had opponents use plagiarism and not even recognize it, yet I called them for it AND made a rebuttal. Some voters still voted for the opposing side as well. As you realized there is no established law on DDO that says you can not plagiarize, I urge you to read more debates and see how many arguments are plagiarized and most show decent conduct by responding...I am not going to give you a free win because you accused him of plagiarism AND you did not make any arguments. You didn't even have to make good arguments! Just somewhat of a so-so case that you can jot down in 10 minutes is fine..However with you displaying your anger on this forum and practically begging for people to vote by claiming DDO has a negative connotation to me is completely unjust and makes me more adamant about this.

I freely acknowledge that I refused to engage my opponent on the actual resolution; I maintain that no debater is "obligated" to make any argument after they catch an opponent plagiarizing their entire argument. Perhaps if my opponent had actually apologized for his plagiarism and subsequently offered some original arguments, I might have been obligated to respond to him then. But that's not what happened; my opponent never made any original arguments. If neither opponent made any original arguments, shouldn't the tie naturally go to the opponent who didn't cheat?

Yes, I was a slightly angry that you, as the debate's sole voter, tried to teach me a "lesson" on DDO rules by voting for an opponent who cheated against me. I'm not taking it personally; I just fundamentally disagree with your opinion that a plagiarized argument is better than no argument at all. For what it's worth, it seems like everyone else who has read this forum so far agrees with me. Hopefully this can serve as some kind of precedent for voters going forward.

Oh yes, my apologies for voting for someone who presented and argument rather than someone who didn't. I think I should stop voting on this site now...can't believe someone would actually vote against Liberal? What kind of precedent am I setting? You should be happy. I have no need to discuss this anymore with you.
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 2:55:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 1:28:39 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
At 12/25/2011 1:36:52 AM, LiberalHoyaLawya wrote:
At 12/25/2011 1:06:51 AM, cameronl35 wrote:

You go off of this assumption as if plagiarism is so frowned upon and is "illegal". What brings you to the conclusion that everyone's arguments are original? I suppose every creationist debate who uses the Kalam Cosmological argument (like all do) should lose automatically and the atheists can simply disregard the arguments and make the accusation of plagiarism as your argument, as you did. I gave him arguments because he actually made an argument related to the topic. He convinced me better, since you didn't even propose the statement that "healthcare is good". I am not saying you had to go full out, but when you make NO arguments it just gives you the image of apathetic and unconvincing. I don't care if he used ad ridicul and forfeited, that only gives one the conduct point. When it came down to arguments, he made them, you did not. It is unequivocal that you did not debate the topic, yes? I have had opponents use plagiarism and not even recognize it, yet I called them for it AND made a rebuttal. Some voters still voted for the opposing side as well. As you realized there is no established law on DDO that says you can not plagiarize, I urge you to read more debates and see how many arguments are plagiarized and most show decent conduct by responding...I am not going to give you a free win because you accused him of plagiarism AND you did not make any arguments. You didn't even have to make good arguments! Just somewhat of a so-so case that you can jot down in 10 minutes is fine..However with you displaying your anger on this forum and practically begging for people to vote by claiming DDO has a negative connotation to me is completely unjust and makes me more adamant about this.

I freely acknowledge that I refused to engage my opponent on the actual resolution; I maintain that no debater is "obligated" to make any argument after they catch an opponent plagiarizing their entire argument. Perhaps if my opponent had actually apologized for his plagiarism and subsequently offered some original arguments, I might have been obligated to respond to him then. But that's not what happened; my opponent never made any original arguments. If neither opponent made any original arguments, shouldn't the tie naturally go to the opponent who didn't cheat?

Yes, I was a slightly angry that you, as the debate's sole voter, tried to teach me a "lesson" on DDO rules by voting for an opponent who cheated against me. I'm not taking it personally; I just fundamentally disagree with your opinion that a plagiarized argument is better than no argument at all. For what it's worth, it seems like everyone else who has read this forum so far agrees with me. Hopefully this can serve as some kind of precedent for voters going forward.

Oh yes, my apologies for voting for someone who presented and argument rather than someone who didn't. I think I should stop voting on this site now...can't believe someone would actually vote against Liberal? What kind of precedent am I setting? You should be happy. I have no need to discuss this anymore with you.

The policy on plagiarism is that you don't address the argument.
Applying a bit of Kantianism here:

If you accept all plagiarisms, then people won't stop doing them. It will then be seen as acceptable, and plagiarism will be promoted. People who vote against plagiarism will be removed, while full plagiarism will be promoted. This stifles intellectual improvement and other such ideals. This makes the aim of DDO distanced from the debating.

If we deny all plagiarisms with response, then people will stop doing them. It will be seen as unacceptable, and intelligence will be promoted. This promotes the aims of DDO.

Plagiarism is following DeMyer's first law: if at least 40% of your argument is simply copied and pasted from another source, all arguments are null. Copy and pasting word for word, or word for word except for connectives or unimportant words (changing the sentence "I walked the dog to France" to "He walked a dog to France" is copying) is plagiarism. Not citing masses of information is plagiarism.

There is no sensible reason to promote plagiarism that is rationally coherent. I am glad to see you now have 44 points. If you don't understand the precedent you are setting, cameron, then try and think through the end result of allowing plagiarism on this site.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 4:04:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 2:55:17 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 12/25/2011 1:28:39 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
At 12/25/2011 1:36:52 AM, LiberalHoyaLawya wrote:
At 12/25/2011 1:06:51 AM, cameronl35 wrote:

You go off of this assumption as if plagiarism is so frowned upon and is "illegal". What brings you to the conclusion that everyone's arguments are original? I suppose every creationist debate who uses the Kalam Cosmological argument (like all do) should lose automatically and the atheists can simply disregard the arguments and make the accusation of plagiarism as your argument, as you did. I gave him arguments because he actually made an argument related to the topic. He convinced me better, since you didn't even propose the statement that "healthcare is good". I am not saying you had to go full out, but when you make NO arguments it just gives you the image of apathetic and unconvincing. I don't care if he used ad ridicul and forfeited, that only gives one the conduct point. When it came down to arguments, he made them, you did not. It is unequivocal that you did not debate the topic, yes? I have had opponents use plagiarism and not even recognize it, yet I called them for it AND made a rebuttal. Some voters still voted for the opposing side as well. As you realized there is no established law on DDO that says you can not plagiarize, I urge you to read more debates and see how many arguments are plagiarized and most show decent conduct by responding...I am not going to give you a free win because you accused him of plagiarism AND you did not make any arguments. You didn't even have to make good arguments! Just somewhat of a so-so case that you can jot down in 10 minutes is fine..However with you displaying your anger on this forum and practically begging for people to vote by claiming DDO has a negative connotation to me is completely unjust and makes me more adamant about this.

I freely acknowledge that I refused to engage my opponent on the actual resolution; I maintain that no debater is "obligated" to make any argument after they catch an opponent plagiarizing their entire argument. Perhaps if my opponent had actually apologized for his plagiarism and subsequently offered some original arguments, I might have been obligated to respond to him then. But that's not what happened; my opponent never made any original arguments. If neither opponent made any original arguments, shouldn't the tie naturally go to the opponent who didn't cheat?

Yes, I was a slightly angry that you, as the debate's sole voter, tried to teach me a "lesson" on DDO rules by voting for an opponent who cheated against me. I'm not taking it personally; I just fundamentally disagree with your opinion that a plagiarized argument is better than no argument at all. For what it's worth, it seems like everyone else who has read this forum so far agrees with me. Hopefully this can serve as some kind of precedent for voters going forward.

Oh yes, my apologies for voting for someone who presented and argument rather than someone who didn't. I think I should stop voting on this site now...can't believe someone would actually vote against Liberal? What kind of precedent am I setting? You should be happy. I have no need to discuss this anymore with you.

The policy on plagiarism is that you don't address the argument.
Applying a bit of Kantianism here:

If you accept all plagiarisms, then people won't stop doing them. It will then be seen as acceptable, and plagiarism will be promoted. People who vote against plagiarism will be removed, while full plagiarism will be promoted. This stifles intellectual improvement and other such ideals. This makes the aim of DDO distanced from the debating.

If we deny all plagiarisms with response, then people will stop doing them. It will be seen as unacceptable, and intelligence will be promoted. This promotes the aims of DDO.

Plagiarism is following DeMyer's first law: if at least 40% of your argument is simply copied and pasted from another source, all arguments are null. Copy and pasting word for word, or word for word except for connectives or unimportant words (changing the sentence "I walked the dog to France" to "He walked a dog to France" is copying) is plagiarism. Not citing masses of information is plagiarism.

There is no sensible reason to promote plagiarism that is rationally coherent. I am glad to see you now have 44 points. If you don't understand the precedent you are setting, cameron, then try and think through the end result of allowing plagiarism on this site.

Most definitely, I gave the guy 3 points now the entire DDO is going to plagiarize...I suppose everyone swears at each other like izbo did? I could go on and on...but rather there is another precedent that is being set: One can win a debate without arguing
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
Double_R
Posts: 4,886
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 3:56:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 4:04:32 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
Most definitely, I gave the guy 3 points now the entire DDO is going to plagiarize...I suppose everyone swears at each other like izbo did? I could go on and on...but rather there is another precedent that is being set: One can win a debate without arguing

Copying and pasting someone else's argument is not arguing. If he provided some sort of supporting comments then you might have some sort of point but he didn't even do that. He then forfeited 3 rounds and resorted to insults. The winner is clear. If you want to debate this topic I would gladly accept the challenge.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 12:19:16 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/25/2011 4:04:32 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
At 12/25/2011 2:55:17 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 12/25/2011 1:28:39 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
At 12/25/2011 1:36:52 AM, LiberalHoyaLawya wrote:
At 12/25/2011 1:06:51 AM, cameronl35 wrote:

You go off of this assumption as if plagiarism is so frowned upon and is "illegal". What brings you to the conclusion that everyone's arguments are original? I suppose every creationist debate who uses the Kalam Cosmological argument (like all do) should lose automatically and the atheists can simply disregard the arguments and make the accusation of plagiarism as your argument, as you did. I gave him arguments because he actually made an argument related to the topic. He convinced me better, since you didn't even propose the statement that "healthcare is good". I am not saying you had to go full out, but when you make NO arguments it just gives you the image of apathetic and unconvincing. I don't care if he used ad ridicul and forfeited, that only gives one the conduct point. When it came down to arguments, he made them, you did not. It is unequivocal that you did not debate the topic, yes? I have had opponents use plagiarism and not even recognize it, yet I called them for it AND made a rebuttal. Some voters still voted for the opposing side as well. As you realized there is no established law on DDO that says you can not plagiarize, I urge you to read more debates and see how many arguments are plagiarized and most show decent conduct by responding...I am not going to give you a free win because you accused him of plagiarism AND you did not make any arguments. You didn't even have to make good arguments! Just somewhat of a so-so case that you can jot down in 10 minutes is fine..However with you displaying your anger on this forum and practically begging for people to vote by claiming DDO has a negative connotation to me is completely unjust and makes me more adamant about this.

I freely acknowledge that I refused to engage my opponent on the actual resolution; I maintain that no debater is "obligated" to make any argument after they catch an opponent plagiarizing their entire argument. Perhaps if my opponent had actually apologized for his plagiarism and subsequently offered some original arguments, I might have been obligated to respond to him then. But that's not what happened; my opponent never made any original arguments. If neither opponent made any original arguments, shouldn't the tie naturally go to the opponent who didn't cheat?

Yes, I was a slightly angry that you, as the debate's sole voter, tried to teach me a "lesson" on DDO rules by voting for an opponent who cheated against me. I'm not taking it personally; I just fundamentally disagree with your opinion that a plagiarized argument is better than no argument at all. For what it's worth, it seems like everyone else who has read this forum so far agrees with me. Hopefully this can serve as some kind of precedent for voters going forward.

Oh yes, my apologies for voting for someone who presented and argument rather than someone who didn't. I think I should stop voting on this site now...can't believe someone would actually vote against Liberal? What kind of precedent am I setting? You should be happy. I have no need to discuss this anymore with you.

The policy on plagiarism is that you don't address the argument.
Applying a bit of Kantianism here:

If you accept all plagiarisms, then people won't stop doing them. It will then be seen as acceptable, and plagiarism will be promoted. People who vote against plagiarism will be removed, while full plagiarism will be promoted. This stifles intellectual improvement and other such ideals. This makes the aim of DDO distanced from the debating.

If we deny all plagiarisms with response, then people will stop doing them. It will be seen as unacceptable, and intelligence will be promoted. This promotes the aims of DDO.

Plagiarism is following DeMyer's first law: if at least 40% of your argument is simply copied and pasted from another source, all arguments are null. Copy and pasting word for word, or word for word except for connectives or unimportant words (changing the sentence "I walked the dog to France" to "He walked a dog to France" is copying) is plagiarism. Not citing masses of information is plagiarism.

There is no sensible reason to promote plagiarism that is rationally coherent. I am glad to see you now have 44 points. If you don't understand the precedent you are setting, cameron, then try and think through the end result of allowing plagiarism on this site.

Most definitely, I gave the guy 3 points now the entire DDO is going to plagiarize...I suppose everyone swears at each other like izbo did? I could go on and on...but rather there is another precedent that is being set: One can win a debate without arguing

No, because we all cracked down on izbo and said it was wrong. We are all cracking down on plagiarism and say it is wrong. If we then say it is right, then we can all do it.

And one CAN win a debate without arguing, in the same way that one can win a race without running. All competitors are disqualified. And plagiarism is a disqualification.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 5:38:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody on this post. I did not realize that Pro did not even recognize his plagiarism..the moderators did. Again I apologize greatly especially to Liberal.
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 5:52:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/26/2011 5:38:50 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody on this post. I did not realize that Pro did not even recognize his plagiarism..the moderators did. Again I apologize greatly especially to Liberal.

That is a cardinal sin on a debate website.
NEVER EVER apologize for your views.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 5:57:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/26/2011 5:52:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:38:50 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody on this post. I did not realize that Pro did not even recognize his plagiarism..the moderators did. Again I apologize greatly especially to Liberal.

That is a cardinal sin on a debate website.
NEVER EVER apologize for your views.

Uh...you can disregard that, cameron. There are times when it is fine and appropriate to apologize for your views. Whether this is one of those times is up to you.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 6:08:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/26/2011 5:57:39 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:52:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:38:50 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody on this post. I did not realize that Pro did not even recognize his plagiarism..the moderators did. Again I apologize greatly especially to Liberal.

That is a cardinal sin on a debate website.
NEVER EVER apologize for your views.

Uh...you can disregard that, cameron. There are times when it is fine and appropriate to apologize for your views. Whether this is one of those times is up to you.

Well it is hard to disagree on this one since the guy did use ad ridicul, forfeited and didn't site his source so..
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 6:40:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/26/2011 5:57:39 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:52:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:38:50 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody on this post. I did not realize that Pro did not even recognize his plagiarism..the moderators did. Again I apologize greatly especially to Liberal.

That is a cardinal sin on a debate website.
NEVER EVER apologize for your views.

Uh...you can disregard that, cameron. There are times when it is fine and appropriate to apologize for your views. Whether this is one of those times is up to you.

Lol, why would you ever apologize for you views... especially on a debating website?
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 7:48:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/26/2011 5:52:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:38:50 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody on this post. I did not realize that Pro did not even recognize his plagiarism..the moderators did. Again I apologize greatly especially to Liberal.

That is a cardinal sin on a debate website.
NEVER EVER apologize for your views.

He didn't...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 8:00:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/26/2011 7:48:43 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:52:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:38:50 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody on this post. I did not realize that Pro did not even recognize his plagiarism..the moderators did. Again I apologize greatly especially to Liberal.

That is a cardinal sin on a debate website.
NEVER EVER apologize for your views.

He didn't...

"I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody on this post. I did not realize that Pro did not even recognize his plagiarism..the moderators did. Again I apologize greatly especially to Liberal."
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
cameronl35
Posts: 149
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 8:02:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/26/2011 6:40:30 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:57:39 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:52:14 PM, Lordknukle wrote:
At 12/26/2011 5:38:50 PM, cameronl35 wrote:
I apologize if I offended or annoyed anybody on this post. I did not realize that Pro did not even recognize his plagiarism..the moderators did. Again I apologize greatly especially to Liberal.

That is a cardinal sin on a debate website.
NEVER EVER apologize for your views.

Uh...you can disregard that, cameron. There are times when it is fine and appropriate to apologize for your views. Whether this is one of those times is up to you.

Lol, why would you ever apologize for you views... especially on a debating website?

Because I am honest?
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin