Jump to topic:

question about conduct

johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 11:29:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Hey I'm new here and still a little bit unfamiliar with the rules. I was looking at some profiles and I saw a comment about someone else asking for them to vote for them on a debate. Not asking for a vote or asking them to read the debate. But directly asking for their vote. Is this a conduct violation? If it happens in one of my debates what should I do about it?
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 12:25:42 PM
At 1/12/2012 11:29:01 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
... I saw a comment about someone else asking for them to vote for them on a debate. Not asking for a vote or asking them to read the debate. But directly asking for their vote. Is this a conduct violation? If it happens in one of my debates what should I do about it?

I don't think that's a conduct violation. You can ask for people to vote for you during the actual debate without a conduct violation, so I don't see why it would be a conduct violation outside of the debate. A person risks being deemed a pain in the butt, but that's not a debate conduct violation. Usual etiquette is to ask for people to look at the debate and vote; that's common and no problem.

Conduct violations failures to obey the rules during the debate. The common conduct violations are:

1. forfeiting a round -- this is like leaving the room without notice during a live debate; saying something like "I must pass this round." avoids the conduct violation. Arguments will still be missing, but the conduct violation is avoided.

2. insulting the opponent -- things like "you didn't read by arguments" or "only an idiot would say that" are conduct violations because they attack the opponent personally. Technically, arguments can be insulted so long as the person is not. Thus, "the argument is idiotic" skirts the violation. Best not to go there.

Insults in comments are not debate conduct violations, but they are a violation of site rules and should be reported using the box in the comment post. Interestingly, insults in personal messages are not site violations (according to the site owners), but you can block the messages.

3. attempting to exceed the character limits -- putting references or more arguments in comments violate the limits, so it's a rule violation

4. failure to debate the resolution -- if the resolution is ignored in favor of other topics it kills the topic and wastes everyone's time. This rarely happens, but it does occur.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 2:55:19 PM
At 1/13/2012 12:25:42 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
At 1/12/2012 11:29:01 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
... I saw a comment about someone else asking for them to vote for them on a debate. Not asking for a vote or asking them to read the debate. But directly asking for their vote. Is this a conduct violation? If it happens in one of my debates what should I do about it?

I don't think that's a conduct violation. You can ask for people to vote for you during the actual debate without a conduct violation, so I don't see why it would be a conduct violation outside of the debate. A person risks being deemed a pain in the butt, but that's not a debate conduct violation. Usual etiquette is to ask for people to look at the debate and vote; that's common and no problem.

Conduct violations failures to obey the rules during the debate. The common conduct violations are:

1. forfeiting a round -- this is like leaving the room without notice during a live debate; saying something like "I must pass this round." avoids the conduct violation. Arguments will still be missing, but the conduct violation is avoided.

2. insulting the opponent -- things like "you didn't read by arguments" or "only an idiot would say that" are conduct violations because they attack the opponent personally. Technically, arguments can be insulted so long as the person is not. Thus, "the argument is idiotic" skirts the violation. Best not to go there.

Insults in comments are not debate conduct violations, but they are a violation of site rules and should be reported using the box in the comment post. Interestingly, insults in personal messages are not site violations (according to the site owners), but you can block the messages.

3. attempting to exceed the character limits -- putting references or more arguments in comments violate the limits, so it's a rule violation

4. failure to debate the resolution -- if the resolution is ignored in favor of other topics it kills the topic and wastes everyone's time. This rarely happens, but it does occur.

Thanks Roy. I kinda thought it could lead to votebombing so I wanted to make sure.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.